Food fails

Options
13»

Replies

• eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Last fall I tried a low carb version of pumpkin spice latte. Sad to see all that coffee being poured down the drain! Had a brief look online for sugar free pumpkin spice syrup, but super pricey.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    suehbca wrote: »
    I tried to make a Keto cheesecake pumpkin pie with a flax meal/flour crust. I had to keep cooking it way over the stated time until the crust started getting too dark. After it cooled I took a bite and it was awful!!! Raw pumpkin taste, dumped right out. Another was Keto brownies made with cauliflower. They tasted awful!!! I don't know what I did wring because there were comments on the recipe website saying how good they were! Oh, one more. I made a lemon curd pie and the coconut crust slid down the pan. Supposedly this was to be expected, but mine slid into a puddle. The lemon curd took like 6 eggs and called for 4 lemons' worth of zest. It turned out sooooo sour! We ate it anyway...at least the crust tasted good! Lol!

Cheesecake can be touchy to make right when using normal ingredients. I make (well no, MADE) an awesome cheesecake. When you start subbing things out for flour and sugar, it can go wrong very fast. Keto baking is a very different animal from normal baking. I tried making a keto cheesecake a few months ago. It was ok, but not completely happy with it. I need to play with the recipe again and see if I can make it better.

I have also noticed some keto recipes that get some raves are just horrible to me. I guess its just different tastes for different people.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Bread. Don't have to worry about that now but bread has ALWAYS been a disaster for me. My loaves of bread always resembled a rock. I read all the tips but was never successful. Guess someone was trying to tell me something??
  • kpk54
    Options
    @suzqtme Dear me. I forgot about my many times of setting a pan on the stove, getting distracted and creating flames. Fortunately, I was always home. <knocks on wood again>. Usually sitting at my computer saying to my self "What's that noise. What's that smell". Duh, me.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Uh... I've got a stovetop espresso machine that seems to clean, fill, and start itself a-brewing without even telling me...
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @suzqtme Dear me. I forgot about my many times of setting a pan on the stove, getting distracted and creating flames. Fortunately, I was always home. <knocks on wood again>. Usually sitting at my computer saying to my self "What's that noise. What's that smell". Duh, me.

I did that hard boiling eggs once....when I remembered them the pan was dry....sigh.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Been there, done that too @RowdysLady. Burnt eggs smell nasty and taste worse. Had to try them, just to see.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    This is pre-keto. I had made a casserole of scalloped potatoes with ham and put it in the oven. Then DH decided to run a couple errands and asked me to come along which I did - forgetting about the casserole in the oven. We were gone longer than anticipated when we finally turned down our road. We could see all the flashing red lights. OMG! What happened and to who??? As we got closer, we could see 3 firetrucks, 3 squad cars and an ambulance. Then we realized they were in front of our house with a squad in our driveway. So we parked and walked over to one of the officers and learned our security company had called b/c the smoke alarm had gone off and no one answered when they called. My scalloped potatoes had boiled over and had heavily smoked up the house. All the neighbors were out watching this, BTW. We arrived just as the fire department were about to force our door for entry. Yeah, that was a pretty big fail (sheepish grin here).

That one definitely takes first prize. I've had some cooking disappointments in my time but none involving first responders.

Can't argue that - but at least the HAZMAT team hadn't arrived by the time they got back.

Or a bomb squad.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If I even mention "lemon chicken" in my house, my kids are begging for peanut butter sandwiches or anything else!!

My husband was in Korea at the time. Me and 3 of my little ones were looking forward to something different. I could have sworn I followed the recipe to a "t" but apparently I did not or it was just that bad. However with all the rave reviews.....it had to be me!!! The chicken was pucker your mouth nasty. It tasted like sour burnt lemon with no other flavors. Mind you it was also the ugliest batch of chicken tenderloins I have ever seen too....all sickeningly whitish and flubbery looking with some black pepper specks on it. :s

Yeah...I don't make or crave lemon chicken anymore and I darn sure don't use tenderloins anymore!!!

• RalfLott
    Options
    The chicken was pucker your mouth nasty. It tasted like sour burnt lemon with no other flavors. Mind you it was also the ugliest batch of chicken tenderloins I have ever seen too....all sickeningly whitish and flubbery looking with some black pepper specks on it. :s

Bwaahahahaa!

Did you put it in a bag and take it to a hockey game?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    My first attempt on Jewish chicken soup. Made the matzo balls from scratch. Proudly put them into the slow cooked soup that had been cooking for 20 hours.

What I ended up with was slow cooked chicken soup sludge, as the matzo balls disintegrated. It did not taste all that great either.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    slow cooked chicken soup sludge

Whew....try to say that10 times fast!

• _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My epic fail was making my own egg drop soup. I sounds easy enough but I made it SO salty that I couldn't even stomach it. After the salty broth, soy sauce, and adding actual table salt.. I might as well of just poured nothing but salt in a bowl and ate that plain :D
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »

I did that hard boiling eggs once....when I remembered them the pan was dry....sigh.

OK, this is embarrassing but I did this at the firehouse once. I was boiling some eggs for my lunch and forgot to turn them off when we went on a call. Did you know that when you boil eggs dry that they will EXPLODE?! Blew the lid off the pan, the kitchen was covered in bits of egg and the whole station was filled with the smoke of burning eggs.

They still give me a hard time about cooking!

This literally made me lol. Just last week I had eggs on the stove and went to the basement to lift weights. I made sure I ran upstairs after every set to make sure they didnt boil over...Ive had experience with that as well! Im notorious for getting distracted and walking away while making tea, boiling eggs. You aren't alone!

ETA: My gas grill always catches fire and burns my food. It was left by the previous owners of our house last year, and we are saving up to buy a new one. Its rusty and busted. Sometimes usually the grease trap catches fire and we have started having a standby cup of water to throw on there to put the fire out. Did you know you can both burn and under cook your chicken at the same time? Its getting embarrassing when we have people over for barbecues!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @Kirstie155 - That's taking culinary art to new heights! ;)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    @Kirstie155 ROFLMAO
    Thank you for sharing
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    suzqtme wrote: »
    This is pre-keto. I had made a casserole of scalloped potatoes with ham and put it in the oven. Then DH decided to run a couple errands and asked me to come along which I did - forgetting about the casserole in the oven. We were gone longer than anticipated when we finally turned down our road. We could see all the flashing red lights. OMG! What happened and to who??? As we got closer, we could see 3 firetrucks, 3 squad cars and an ambulance. Then we realized they were in front of our house with a squad in our driveway. So we parked and walked over to one of the officers and learned our security company had called b/c the smoke alarm had gone off and no one answered when they called. My scalloped potatoes had boiled over and had heavily smoked up the house. All the neighbors were out watching this, BTW. We arrived just as the fire department were about to force our door for entry. Yeah, that was a pretty big fail (sheepish grin here).

That one definitely takes first prize. I've had some cooking disappointments in my time but none involving first responders.

Can't argue that - but at least the HAZMAT team hadn't arrived by the time they got back.

Or a bomb squad.

@RalfLott, Yeah, but you haven't heard my story about the time the SWAT team was out in our neighborhood, have you? They evacuated a 6 block area. OR the time a car in which our neighbor had stuffed the body of a guy he murdered and then left parked in OUR driveway. The body had been stuffed down a hole augered into the ice by then, thank God! Oh, I could go on. But I must admit, never had anything to do with the bomb squad (yet).

And having worked in forensic toxicology most of my career, I was on speaking terms with Hazmat at work, but fortunately not at my home. Hmmm, maybe I should write that book...