what vitamins and supplements are you using or none?

Options
13»

Replies

• Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bubba1922 wrote: »
    My vitamin intake is geared towards stopping my hair loss and relieving some arthritis in my hands.

Solgar 7 joint support pathways
    Solgar formula V multi vitamin every other day
    Solgar b complex every other day
    Solgar saw palmetto opuntia with lycopene. (Apparently stop the hormone that promotes hairloss)

Solgar L Arginine 1000 mg
    Solgar glutamine 1000 mg. - will stop these two when I run out

Lamberts Florisene to maximise hair growth

The only one I am certain works is the Solgar 7 for joint as the pain and bumps on my hands lessen when I take it.

Was told to go for a good quality vitamin and Solgar was recommended. Not cheap but maybe this is a case of you get what you pay for.

Worry about making my body toxic with all these though and creating inflammation.

• Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I did not connect my burning scalp with my intake of vitamins. A week ago my doctor suggested that I drop all my vitamin intake for a week. Incredibly my burning scalp and burning eyes have disappeared. Still wondering if I am allergic to one of these vitamins or the cocktail of them so I might try to reintroduce them one by one.

My doctor said that the more upmarket vitamins (and expensive ones) can be very potent and be more harmful than beneficial!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I don't take any vitamins or supplements. I do think you may need to up your electrolytes while adapting, but don't necessarily believe you must continue to keep them high after you have adapted.

While in adaptation, I could see upping sodium intake, potassium intake (use a "lite" salt), and magnesium (that usually is in pills). I doubt there's much need for more than that, especially if your diet is fresh meat centered. If you have documented deficiencies in nutrients, obviously supplement to replenish those.

This is why I take D3 and B12 (documented deficiencies). The fish oil is an attempt to raise my HDL, the mag is for muscle cramping and also migraines and I plan to ditch the probiotic once I am done my current bottle.

@nicsflyingcircus - Did you know that the fish oil helps prevent D3 toxicity? As does taking A 12 hours offset from the first dose of D3 of the day? Also, did you know that K2 helps the D3 properly absorb - otherwise it can just sit about cluttering up your arteries - and cause calcium to do the same, rather than route it into bones?!?!?!! I was shocked to learn all this, as most docs have everyone taking D3, but without the co-factors, you might as well not even take it. :(

I sorta did. I take the K2 because of how it plays nice with the D3
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I try to get all my nutrients from whole organic full-fat foods. And always choose local items if available. However, it is really hard to meet all of your nutritional requirements for optimal performance in athletics and life without a little help. Here are the only supplements I take:

Bulletproof Brain Octane MCT Oil (multiple times a day)
    Boku Super Protein (afternoon shake)
    Boku Super Greens (afternoon shake)
    Melatonin (before bed)
    Magnesium (before bed)
    Zinc (before bed)

The supplement industry has a lot of very shady brands. I would suggest you research what you are going to take and have a research backed reason for taking it. Then find a brand that has high standards for what they produce.