I need to stop getting on the scale!

Options
merflan
merflan Posts: 216 Member
Anyone else get totally frustrated with the scale?? I am at the 10 day mark, down to 211.2 from 218. In 6 months I haven't had the scale move that much so why aren't I ecstatic??? The last 3 days the scale hasn't moved and for some reason I'm so annoyed by that!

Replies

• jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well, at least you know your own solution. You wouldn't want to keep losing at that rate, I mean think about it...you didn't put it on at a lb a day did you?

It might help you if you start looking for NSVs (non-scale victories). Just a thought.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it. It'll move. I used to weigh every day but now I resist that urge. I only weigh weekly now and have found it something to look forward to. When I weighed every day I would get so anxious about not seeing it move.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you like weighing every day (I do), give the Happy Scale app a try. It smooths out fluctuations and helps you see the trends in your weight loss.

Also congrats on the 7 lbs in 10 days! Amazing!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Patience. Give it time. You've dropped the water weight and maybe a bit of fat. Now be patient as you work on the fat pounds. Stick with your program. It appears to be favorable.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    merflan wrote: »
    Anyone else get totally frustrated with the scale?? I am at the 10 day mark, down to 211.2 from 218. In 6 months I haven't had the scale move that much so why aren't I ecstatic??? The last 3 days the scale hasn't moved and for some reason I'm so annoyed by that!

Your instincts are spot-on! Your scale is NOT your friend:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10415166/scale-why-should-i-dump-thee-let-me-count-the-ways
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Haha that is a very helpful thread!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing some before photos. Your body is doing other things from just dropping scale weight. Take some pics showing add much as your comfortable with, keep them to compare updated photos to when you're getting frustrated.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    My strategy was to take fully-dressed "after" photos .... in my wife's clothes. heh :o
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    merflan wrote: »

I have problems with the scale, too Merflan. I'm up if it is down and I'm down if it is up. Let it get stuck and I'm stressing until it moves again. All that means more cortisol which is a deterrent to weight loss.

I was weighing once a month and just focusing on following my WOE plus checking ketostix and fbs in the morning. That was going pretty well and then I joined a challenge with a weekly weigh-in. Even that has me thrown a bit. I start stressing 3 days before weigh day (Mondays), so I may not complete it.

How often to weigh is an individual choice, but the weight is going to come off at the rate that it is going to come off no matter how often I jump on the scale. Nothing will change that. Once a month weighing got rid of the emotional roller coaster of water weight gain, extra exercise gain, I'm stressed out about something else gain. Just go with what works best for you. If you can find a way to weigh daily, go for it. But nothing says anyone has to get on the scale at all. Some people just go by how their clothes fit.