First 5x5 yesterday kicked my bootaay! How am I supposed to do that again tomorrow?

Options
Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
A friend of mine that has been doing stronglifts for a few months has recently moved back to town and now I have a gym partner so I figured it was an omen to finally give lifting a try.
I liked it. It was nice having a gym partner and I hope I can finally succeed at developing a consistent exercise habit. That has always been my biggest hurdle toward better health and my vanity goals.
We went Sunday morning and I started with the low weight the app suggested and I think it was good, not too heavy, not too light. We warmed up and I knew I would be sore but we had today off. So, how am I supposed to lift again tomorrow morning if I'm still this sore? I can barely squat to sit in a chair or bend over to pick things up off the floor.
Am I supposed to push through it or should the soreness be mostly gone by the time the next gym day comes around? I don't feel like I've injured anything. Just muscle soreness like I would expect to have. But I'm already dreading tomorrow... day 2... how do I do this?

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    And @Gallowmere1984 may have something to say about it.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Hey, congrats on starting! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Stretching sounds aweful. Lol
    I will give it a try though.
    I'm so wimpy! :wink:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Hey, congrats on starting! :)

Thank you! I really want to make this stick. I'm terrible about anything I've tried to do so far. I get so bored! I hope this holds my interest.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    A friend of mine that has been doing stronglifts for a few months has recently moved back to town and now I have a gym partner so I figured it was an omen to finally give lifting a try.
    I liked it. It was nice having a gym partner and I hope I can finally succeed at developing a consistent exercise habit. That has always been my biggest hurdle toward better health and my vanity goals.
    We went Sunday morning and I started with the low weight the app suggested and I think it was good, not too heavy, not too light. We warmed up and I knew I would be sore but we had today off. So, how am I supposed to lift again tomorrow morning if I'm still this sore? I can barely squat to sit in a chair or bend over to pick things up off the floor.
    Am I supposed to push through it or should the soreness be mostly gone by the time the next gym day comes around? I don't feel like I've injured anything. Just muscle soreness like I would expect to have. But I'm already dreading tomorrow... day 2... how do I do this?

First of all, YAY for you! 5x5 is hard even for already active people so KUDOS to you! Your a tough cookie :) I felt the same after my first workout but it will get easier and less sore the more often you work those muscles :)

Thank you! I really appreciate the encouragement. I'm determined to push through it tomorrow. I hate taking meds but Hopefully this Aleve I just took will help me rest tonight and be ready to go in the morning.
    I've only been this sore when I was doing remodeling work for my dad and I had to work through the pain for several days in a row but once I got working it seemed to get better. At least until I stopped for the day. Then it tightened back up until I forced myself to move again the next day. I guess this will be the same. I'm glad my gym partner is fully committed with a good routine already. She won't let me wimp out without a good fight. :smile:
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Stretch, then stretch some more and then stretch some more. It is important to stretch well both before and after the workout.

Every time I have taken a break from the gym, I have hated the first few weeks back getting through the initial soreness. It does get better and soon I feel much better all around. Definitely worth getting through that uncomfortable period.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Drinking gelatin can sometimes help stiff & sore muscles. Started doing this years ago during curling bonspiels.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Stretch, then stretch some more and then stretch some more. It is important to stretch well both before and after the workout.

Every time I have taken a break from the gym, I have hated the first few weeks back getting through the initial soreness. It does get better and soon I feel much better all around. Definitely worth getting through that uncomfortable period.

Thank you. I did some stretching before and barely after that day because my gym partner was doing it. Nothing major. But I have been babying it since then. Maybe that wasn't such a great idea. I did work all day on my feet today too, so it kept me moving and the soreness really only set in hard core on the drive home. lol
    Getting out of the car after a 30 minute drive was torture!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Sk8Kate wrote: »
    Drinking gelatin can sometimes help stiff & sore muscles. Started doing this years ago during curling bonspiels.

Thanks! I have collagen every day already but maybe doubling up would be a good idea when I'm really feeling it!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    It's just because your body hasn't done something like that in a long time.

It passes the more you do it. Your body is getting used to the movements and work. It isn't always like this.

I absolutely love Stronglifts and if you are a beginner or getting back into things, it's a great program.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I have two helpful tips for you:

(1) Take a bath and use Epsom salts in it. This will help with the soreness like you wouldn't believe...plus it's also a good source of magnesium that you body will absorb through the skin (seriously!); and
    (2) Add Taurine to your daily supplements. It's an amino acid and is also wonderful for helping with sore muscles.

The first week is always the hardest and the worst where muscle soreness is concerned!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I usually work through it. Just warm up properly (and I mean PROPERLY, like a good while longer than usual) before you start. It's only the first week or two usually.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A: epsom salts are your best friend for the first couple of weeks. I use an hour soak once per week now, usually before my second squat session.
    B: using the muscles again flushes blood into them, which makes DOMS go away.
    C: soreness is not an indicator of muscular trauma, especially when you're just getting used to lifting. If new liftrs let soreness guide them, they'd never go beyond lifting once per week. ;)

ETA: make sure your protein levels are adequate for recovery. It will be especially helpful if they come in the form of eggs, whey, and various other sources that are BCAA (especially Leucine) rich.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Invest in some BCAAs!! There's millions of brands, I get Bpi Sports Best BCAAs. It makes a world of difference when I take them vs when I don't.

I drink them during my workout and I'll be a little sore the next day. When I don't drink them, I can't even bend over to put on my shoes because everything hurts too much lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I have two helpful tips for you:

(1) Take a bath and use Epsom salts in it. This will help with the soreness like you wouldn't believe...plus it's also a good source of magnesium that you body will absorb through the skin (seriously!); and
    (2) Add Taurine to your daily supplements. It's an amino acid and is also wonderful for helping with sore muscles.

The first week is always the hardest and the worst where muscle soreness is concerned!

Thank you. I'm out of Epsom salts at the moment but I think it should pick some up today for sure. I'll definitely look into the taurine.
    I usually work through it. Just warm up properly (and I mean PROPERLY, like a good while longer than usual) before you start. It's only the first week or two usually.

Will definitely do this today. I don't think I'll get through it without a good warm up.
    A: epsom salts are your best friend for the first couple of weeks. I use an hour soak once per week now, usually before my second squat session.
    B: using the muscles again flushes blood into them, which makes DOMS go away.
    C: soreness is not an indicator of muscular trauma, especially when you're just getting used to lifting. If new liftrs let soreness guide them, they'd never go beyond lifting once per week. ;)

ETA: make sure your protein levels are adequate for recovery. It will be especially helpful if they come in the form of eggs, whey, and various other sources that are BCAA (especially Leucine) rich.

Going to make sure to have a soak late today. I didn't think I had injured anything but I wasn't sure if it was good to work again when still this sore. I definitely have a noticeable appetite increase and I've been filling it with eggs and bacon :smile: I did also have a Primal Kitchen protein shake that day afterward and one of their protein collagen bars yesterday.
    I'll look into the BCAA's.

Thanks @KenSmith108
    Invest in some BCAAs!! There's millions of brands, I get Bpi Sports Best BCAAs. It makes a world of difference when I take them vs when I don't.

I drink them during my workout and I'll be a little sore the next day. When I don't drink them, I can't even bend over to put on my shoes because everything hurts too much lol

Thanks! I will check that out.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You might try rolling out on a foam roller after workouts.....check YouTube for instructions. This is a great way to identify and release trigger points and lactic acid .
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Also, Bugenhagen keeping it real:
    http://youtu.be/iWdwM9Npg68