First 5x5 yesterday kicked my bootaay! How am I supposed to do that again tomorrow?

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Also, Bugenhagen keeping it real:
    http://youtu.be/iWdwM9Npg68

I can't hear him yelling at me! Lol
    For some reason videos will not play with sound in MFP from IOS mobile.
    But I'll copy the link so I can officially get the "pep talk" he appears to be giving. :wink:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Ok @Gallowmere1984 that was awesome!
    I think you have the right idea on how to power through it. I feel my mood elevated immediately after watching that! I sent it to my gym partner who also said she's feeling it today. She took a few weeks off while moving back here. She said she was surprised how set back she felt with a few weeks off.
    Moral of that story is don't take time off! lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    This is why I only ever take one rest day per week, at most, if that. Yesterday was my first real one in several weeks.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ congrats on doing this! So cool to see the women of this site lifting with real programs and not just token 2lb dumbells. Inspiring!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting the program! I hope you like it as much as I did! I really have nothing to add that everyone else hasn't said though so I just hope you feel better soon!! For reals though, working out when I had DOMS was actually a good way to lessen them. :)
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The first week after I started going to the gym again, I barely ever sat down. Because I knew if I sat down long enough, and got up again, the DOMS would be brutal. Lol.
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I think this is awesome. Not that you were sore but that you are giving lifting a try. I can't wait until I've lost enough weight that I can add lifting. I hope your lift day went/goes well today. The soreness does go away, just hold on to that until it does. What will hooking is seeing your muscle definition come to life. Go you!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    jassnip wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I think this is awesome. Not that you were sore but that you are giving lifting a try. I can't wait until I've lost enough weight that I can add lifting. I hope your lift day went/goes well today. The soreness does go away, just hold on to that until it does. What will hooking is seeing your muscle definition come to life. Go you!

Lift now to preserve muscle mass. When you lose weight, you lose water, muscle, and fat. It's easier to preserve what you have than try to build it up again.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Lift now to preserve muscle mass. When you lose weight, you lose water, muscle, and fat. It's easier to preserve what you have than try to build it up again.

Not only that(but definitely true)...lifting burns calories and raises your metabolic rate long after your workout stops so you continue to burn calories...and added muscle mass to your frame requires more calories to function, both of these factors will contribute to weight loss...so why weight?(see what I did there? LOL)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Smoked33 wrote: »

Not only that(but definitely true)...lifting burns calories and raises your metabolic rate long after your workout stops so you continue to burn calories...and added muscle mass to your frame requires more calories to function, both of these factors will contribute to weight loss...so why weight?(see what I did there? LOL)

Ba dum tss!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think this article summed it up pretty well:
    http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/doms-the-good-the-bad-and-what-it-really-means-to-your-training

Take home points :
    a) Any training outside comfort zone may or may not lead to DOMS. DOMS isn't necessary for hypertrophy.
    b) DOMS is not caused by lactic acid, it's microtears in muscle fiber.
    c) The more eccentric contraction → DOMS. le. the more time you spend SLOWLY LOWERING, the more muscle soreness you get.

I'll add:
    d) There's a certain element of sucking it up unless extremely sore. I don't think deloading a bit is equal to failure if it means forming a habit. Listen to your body.

...and congrats on trying it out! I know it's been a sort of nemesis for you.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have helped a few people train.

For new people to lifting I would say not to lift for a few days and let your muscles recover. Lifting tears them down. You need sleep to let them rebuild and adequate calories, not a big bump.

There is a form of exercise called "recovery cardio". It is basically very low grade cardio to get your blood pumping into the sore muscles to replenish them and ease soreness. You can google it and find lots of good information.

Congrats on starting lifting! But I would caution on thinking you need to go all hard core at first. It is easier to let your body recover fully and then work out again than injure yourself and go thru all that recovery time

After I did my 100K bike race I took 2 days totally off and two days of recovery rides. I'm used to lots of intense workouts. I have an Olympic Tri coming up soon. But I always take my recovery time to let my muscles and joints rest and repair.

If it hurts, listen to it!

Congrats again on your adding lifting! Best wishes on reaching your goals!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Yes, listen to it and focus on another muscle group the next day. :lol:

I haven't lifted in a year. I started with 5 days a week for an hour. Each day focused on different muscle groups. Rest my foot. :smirk:

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Smoked33 wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ congrats on doing this! So cool to see the women of this site lifting with real programs and not just token 2lb dumbells. Inspiring!

Thanks! I do like that it is heavy and not just a million reps with tiny weight. I feel like the best work is real work and since I don't do hard physical work, this makes sense to me.
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Congrats on starting the program! I hope you like it as much as I did! I really have nothing to add that everyone else hasn't said though so I just hope you feel better soon!! For reals though, working out when I had DOMS was actually a good way to lessen them. :)

I do like it really well so far. Even though I was scared about dealing with the pain today, I still wanted to go. I got through the whole set! The pain did get better as I got into it. I did some extra warming up and light stretching too.
    The first week after I started going to the gym again, I barely ever sat down. Because I knew if I sat down long enough, and got up again, the DOMS would be brutal. Lol.

Yes! I have stayed busy and mostly on my feet since that first day. The pain is the worst when I finally sit down at night!

I agree that starting ASAP is better. I just couldn't get motivated enough to attempt it on my own. I really needed the gym partner. I was very intimidated by the idea of going it alone and I can't afford a trainer.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    I think this article summed it up pretty well:
    http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/doms-the-good-the-bad-and-what-it-really-means-to-your-training

Take home points :
    a) Any training outside comfort zone may or may not lead to DOMS. DOMS isn't necessary for hypertrophy.
    b) DOMS is not caused by lactic acid, it's microtears in muscle fiber.
    c) The more eccentric contraction → DOMS. le. the more time you spend SLOWLY LOWERING, the more muscle soreness you get.

I'll add:
    d) There's a certain element of sucking it up unless extremely sore. I don't think deloading a bit is equal to failure if it means forming a habit. Listen to your body.

...and congrats on trying it out! I know it's been a sort of nemesis for you.

Thanks for the link. I always like having a good understanding of exactly what's happening.
    Very good info
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I have helped a few people train.

For new people to lifting I would say not to lift for a few days and let your muscles recover. Lifting tears them down. You need sleep to let them rebuild and adequate calories, not a big bump.

There is a form of exercise called "recovery cardio". It is basically very low grade cardio to get your blood pumping into the sore muscles to replenish them and ease soreness. You can google it and find lots of good information.

Congrats on starting lifting! But I would caution on thinking you need to go all hard core at first. It is easier to let your body recover fully and then work out again than injure yourself and go thru all that recovery time

After I did my 100K bike race I took 2 days totally off and two days of recovery rides. I'm used to lots of intense workouts. I have an Olympic Tri coming up soon. But I always take my recovery time to let my muscles and joints rest and repair.

Congrats again on your adding lifting! Best wishes on reaching your goals!

I would definitely rest if I thought the pain was more than my lazy muscles rebelling. Lol
    Since I don't feel like there's an injury, I pushed through and I'm actually glad I did. I'm sure I'll be in bad shape again tomorrow once this stiffness sets in again tonight, but I'm sure there's no injury beyond what's to be expected from working my lazy self.
    My gym partner mentioned that she likes to go for a bike ride on off days. Nothing major but she did say it makes the soreness feel better. I worked on my feet the whole next day, so I'm sure that was better than sitting all day. I actually did quite a lot of walking around with the project I was working on.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    5x5 is great, I love it! I find that working out sore muscles actually helps!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Good to see you made it through day 2!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What a great thread!

All the success stories make this an awesome group!

• tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The way to get over the soreness is to re-frame it. I was a gym rat for years, even though I don't look much like it now. I learned to love the pain. Pain-progress. When the pain from working out didn't happen, I would push harder the next day to make sure I was actually doing something beneficial. Even today I love that feeling of muscle soreness that comes with exertion.