Dairy! :(

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
I had a bad food poisoning in Feb (campylobacter) and was sick for weeks, on antibiotics and then on motion sickness pills as I ended up with labyrinthtitus. Could not have any dairy afterwards as it made me sick. My doctor explained it was not unusual to have a temporary dairy intolerance after food poisoning. Temporary!
That was in Feb, we are now in September. I might add I had food poisoning 20 years ago and one single mussel is enough to send me to hug the toilet for the rest of the evening.

After examining my diary over the weekend I can see each time I go overboard and have a little bit too much dairy, I end up hugging the toilet in a not so pretty way.

Anyone else got experience with this? I love cheese but cheese has not loved me back since February.

Replies

• KetoGirl_ZC
    KetoGirl_ZC Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So sorry you had such a terrible experience, food poisoning is really bad!

It doesn't look like you have a choice, you'll have to keep avoiding all cheese. Every time you expose your body to dairy you'll extend the time it takes to recover. I know it's been 6 months but clearly that was not enough.

You'll know to drink plenty of water and bouillon and avoid caffeine and alcohol so I'm out of useful suggestions, sorry.

Get better soon!

::flowerforyou::
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I had food poisoning from fries once. I don't know if it was fried in old oil or what the heck happened. But I couldn't even smell fries for a year after that without feeling queasy.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    My oldest son had a terrible c. diff infection. He came out of it with IBS-C and lactose intolerance. He can handle aged cheeses (sharp cheddar and parm). But for other cheeses, sour cream, and cream, he has to take a lactase enzyme pill, and can have it for one meal. Any more than that and gets digestive upset big time. He can't do ice cream or milk at all, even with the pill. This started when he was 5. He's now 12.

I do hope that you aren't lactose intolerant permanently. But my son has found soy and coconut products (yogurt, non-dairy ice cream, and milks) that he likes. They are more expensive, but he's still a pretty happy kid.

Sometimes a probiotic can help set things right again. Try a good one for a couple months.

• Bonny132
    Options
    Not the answer I was hoping for, guess I got to stay diary free for a while longer. It is a real pain in the butt as I love milk, cheese, kefir, yoghurt, quark, sour cream.... "drools"

I don't mind not being able to eat mussels but staying clear of dairy is a real drag, as last time I had almondmilk it disagreed with me, and soya milk is just yuk.

Food intolerances really is not much fun, being gluten free is bad enough.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    This isn't directly related to your story but it reminded me of my own experience with intolerance's. I remember one time my greedy little 8 or 9 year old self was at some get together at the neighbors and they had Timbits (doughnut holes). A LOT of them. I loved chocolate ones so I went around and ate almost all of the chocolate Timbits, then spent the rest of the night throwing them up. It was a long time before I could even look at a chocolate doughnut of any form without feeling queasy! I am 32 and still won't eat them. I've also had a bad food poisoning experience with hamburger helper before I knew you couldn't continually freeze/thaw leftovers and now I can't stomach it anymore. Just the smell of hamburger helper makes me sick. Ah, terrible first-time-being-on-your-own stories.

I don't have any resistance to dairy in particular, but it seems once it starts making you sick your body just isn't interested in that thing anymore. Have you gone back to the Dr to check for any kind of dairy intolerance? Showing him your food diary might help. Do non-dairy things like almond milk or soy bother you too?

I hope you find your answer, good luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There is no good non-dairy substitute for cheese. They exist, and probably Daiya is the best, but it's still not really like cheese.

There are lots of good non-dairy yogurts and milks assuming you can eat almond, coconut, or soy products. The plain non-dairy yogurt is a great sour cream substitute.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    I do not like soy and only do limited coconut as I find it too sweet, and my last encounter with almond milk left me sitting on the toilet for two days. It has been suggested it might have been an additive instead of the almond milk itself as I can eat almonds and marzipan, but I have been reluctant to check as I got ill so very quickly, twice on the spin (I stupidly had to check). http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=276761995&gclid=CLTD2PTPjM8CFQgehgodtj4C0g&gclsrc=aw.ds this is the almond milk culprit.

I have had too much time off work this year with intestinal issues, so the idea of experimenting right now, does little for me. I have spoken about the dairy with my doctor, who insists it will calm down with time. This is the same doctor who took me off gluten before my celiac blood tests.... sigh.... Guess I need to look into changing surgeries at some point.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    This isn't directly related to your story but it reminded me of my own experience with intolerance's. I remember one time my greedy little 8 or 9 year old self was at some get together at the neighbors and they had Timbits (doughnut holes). A LOT of them. I loved chocolate ones so I went around and ate almost all of the chocolate Timbits, then spent the rest of the night throwing them up. It was a long time before I could even look at a chocolate doughnut of any form without feeling queasy! I am 32 and still won't eat them. I've also had a bad food poisoning experience with hamburger helper before I knew you couldn't continually freeze/thaw leftovers and now I can't stomach it anymore. Just the smell of hamburger helper makes me sick. Ah, terrible first-time-being-on-your-own stories.

I don't have any resistance to dairy in particular, but it seems once it starts making you sick your body just isn't interested in that thing anymore. Have you gone back to the Dr to check for any kind of dairy intolerance? Showing him your food diary might help. Do non-dairy things like almond milk or soy bother you too?

Give me your chocolate Timbits! Those are the ones I pick out and leave the rest for the others. Pre-LC Sam would have also ordered a large box of just chocolate ones haha.

Sorry to hijack, Bonny! I'm really sorry that you are experiencing this.

Have you tried coconut milk and cream? Great high fat varieties out there that might help.
  • Sarahb29
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Not the answer I was hoping for, guess I got to stay diary free for a while longer. It is a real pain in the butt as I love milk, cheese, kefir, yoghurt, quark, sour cream.... "drools"

I don't mind not being able to eat mussels but staying clear of dairy is a real drag, as last time I had almondmilk it disagreed with me, and soya milk is just yuk.

Food intolerances really is not much fun, being gluten free is bad enough.

Wait a second - do you have celiac disease? My buddy that has celiac, he went to see a naturopath and they also told him he had to eliminate dairy. It completely messed up his gut and gut bacteria. I'm wondering if this is a common issue with celiac disease.

More info I found:
    http://allergicliving.com/2013/03/26/when-dairy-intolerance-joins-celiac-disease/
    https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/is-dairy-sabotaging-your-gluten-free-healing/
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Thank you for the link, will be reading it. Much appreciated.

My Dr took me off gluten 2 weeks before my blood test as it made me so I'll, my results came back elevated but not quite celiac. She wants to re-test me but I cannot face being ill for 6 weeks minimum then to wait for my endoscope etc.

After discussing it with my SO I have decided the pain is just not worth an official diagnosis.

So officially I am a suspected celiac, gluten intolerant with IBS.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

My favorite timbit is the lemon filled ones - so yummy! And my favorite tim's donut is the chocolate coconut. Awe memories of when I used to eat donuts and drink iced cappuccino's!
  • carlsoda
    Options
    I am dairy free but for different reasons; dairy really messes up my sinus's really bad. Inflammation I guess! But for me personally I have been enjoying organic vanilla soy milk in my coffee. For my two tablespoons it's 1 gram of carbs (boo) but it tastes so much better than almond milk or coconut milk or the non-dairy coffee creamers out there. I haven't ventured beyond the splash of soy milk in my coffee to try the various non-dairy cheeses etc, but they just sound so nasty. I sure hope you feel better soon! You just need to let your system heal longer I guess. Good luck!
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My mother is a celiac, and she found after a few years that dairy causes the same issues. If she eats any she gets severe gut issues and migraines.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    There is no good non-dairy substitute for cheese. They exist, and probably Daiya is the best, but it's still not really like cheese.

In the past few years, there are new "cheeses" that have come to market as products sold in grocery stores and at farmers markets but the cheese is usually made from nuts like almond, cashew, etc. Also, if you are looking for a "sprinkled cheese" then nutritional yeast is the way to go.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Is lactofree milk any good for you? Tastes good and lower in carbs than regular milk. I think they also do cheese - got mine in waitrose.

I used to hate soya milk but now I like it a lot, different brands can taste very different
  • Sarahb29
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I agree with @moonlights, finding a new "milk" product takes some getting used to for sure and some brands taste better than others. I didn't like unsweetened almond milk much at first but since it was my only option for low carb I just forced myself to not drink milk at all, and then when I *really* had to have some I'd reach for almond milk. I enjoy it a lot more if I add a low carb protein powder to it or make a shake with it. It took me a few months to be able to really enjoy it all on it's own.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I am dairy free but for different reasons; dairy really messes up my sinus's really bad. Inflammation I guess! But for me personally I have been enjoying organic vanilla soy milk in my coffee. For my two tablespoons it's 1 gram of carbs (boo) but it tastes so much better than almond milk or coconut milk or the non-dairy coffee creamers out there. I haven't ventured beyond the splash of soy milk in my coffee to try the various non-dairy cheeses etc, but they just sound so nasty. I sure hope you feel better soon! You just need to let your system heal longer I guess. Good luck!

I was going to ask about this.

I've had a chronic sinus congestion for about 25 years. Doctors just shrug and offer me a cortisone nasal spray.

How soon did your sinuses clear after stoping dairy intake?
  • carlsoda
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    carlsoda wrote: »

I was going to ask about this.

I've had a chronic sinus congestion for about 25 years. Doctors just shrug and offer me a cortisone nasal spray.

How soon did your sinuses clear after stoping dairy intake?

I'd say about a month. I've been very lax lately with dairy and now I'm suffering really bad. Back to dairy free again :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    cashew milk?
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Thank you all for some great advice. Guess it is back trying to find a non diary alternative I can stummack. I just hope with time my body will change its mind and accept dairy again.

@missippibelle after reading your post I have done some research and was amazed by the number of people with celiac who cannot tolerate dairy either. It sure has made some interesting reading.