Reading other people's diaries

Options
tribal351
tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
I've been checking out the food diaries of my friends, and I have one question... How do people survive? I'm eating eggs, cheese and sausage every day (a very honest 1400-1500 cals per day with about 10 net carbs) and most diaries that I've read have skipped meals and snacks that cause smaller meals.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing them. I'm just wondering how they eat so little and don't go nuts. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to diet like that.
After reading a few dairies I start thinking that I'm doing something wrong, lol.
Who thinks they have the craziest and least 'normal' food habits?

Replies

• SarasKeto4Life
    SarasKeto4Life Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Through time, my appetite has diminished and I actually forget to eat. How long have you been KETO?
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Well you eat less than I do lol!!
    I am the same way, when I look at a bunch of other diaries I start having a panic attack, wondering if I should drop my calories to twelve hundred... Forgetting that I'm a tall, strongly built woman. :)
  • scottaking
    scottaking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Through time, my appetite has diminished and I actually forget to eat. How long have you been KETO?

I think Sara's right. When I first started, I thought I wad going to starve myself. However, over about 2 months time, I realized that I would accidentally skip meals. This is counterintuitive coming from a guy that loved his carbs. I would be hungry every 2 hrs, starving after 3, and getting the shakes after 4. On carbs, I never forgot to eat. With keto, I only eat when I'm actually hungry - and sometimes that means intentionally skipping meals. I keep my caloric intake around 1450 a day.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Not everyone thoroughly logs. I eat a lot of the same meals and if I see my planned dinner fits my cals/macros I don't necessarily log it.

And, agree with the others that sometimes I'm just not hungry. I try to stick to 1500 a day, but sometimes it's hard to get that high.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    tribal351 wrote: »
    I've been checking out the food diaries of my friends, and I have one question... How do people survive? I'm eating eggs, cheese and sausage every day (a very honest 1400-1500 cals per day with about 10 net carbs) and most diaries that I've read have skipped meals and snacks that cause smaller meals.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing them. I'm just wondering how they eat so little and don't go nuts. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to diet like that.
    After reading a few dairies I start thinking that I'm doing something wrong, lol.
    Who thinks they have the craziest and least 'normal' food habits?

I think a lot of time ppl forget to log everything. I'm usually pretty faithful or else don't log at all, but when I'm cheating I won't log cheat meals. I eat about 1200-1400 cals a day (I make my goal 2000 so I don't calorie obsess), but I don't really care about them. My real goal is 20-40 carbs. I usually hit around 25 or 30.
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited September 2016
    Options
    That said, last week I just wasn't hungry. I struggled to eat 1000 cals a day and used the "fake food so I can submit my day" a few times. I do push to eat three meals tho, cause that's what works best for me.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I only eat when hungry. So there are days that I only eat one meal. I don't obsess about calories. Do what works for you.
  • tribal351
    Options
    I eat a super consistent diet mostly. 3 eggs and a sausage in the morning, spinach with cheese, salsa and a protein for lunch, then 2 low carb tacos for dinner with eggs, cheese, salsa and a protein. I'm never hungry, but couldn't imagine how bad I would feel skipping one of them.

Again, not bashing anyone, it just makes my diet looks super boring in comparison.

Oh, and been keto for 3 months-ish.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I only eat when hungry. So there are days that I only eat one meal. I don't obsess about calories. Do what works for you.

I agree. I think I have NES (night eating syndrome, Marks Daily Apple has a good article on it). If I skip a meal, I will cheat. It might also have to do with my blood sugar tho, but the important thing is to find what works for you.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Some of us don't log at all, but we eat like there is no tomorrow. I routinely hit 2300+ even when losing weight. I hit 2800+ when maintaining. Of course, my body decides how much and what it wants to do.

Calories are different for everyone. You probably wouldn't have much fun trying to eat as much as I do (although I bet you think you would enjoy it). Eat what is right for your body and makes you feel good. People eating less aren't better at low carb than you.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I log everything even when I break weak and cheat. It's a psychological thing for me. If I'm logging, I'm less likely to cheat. That's also why my food diary is private, if others are looking, I might lie about what I've eaten just to look good. Yeah ... I've got issues.

I try to eat only when hungry, but it's tough because of meal times for family, or scheduled time for lunch at work. My main focus is staying within my macros and I don't pay that much attention to calories. My meals however are nothing special, and I have a few preferred meals I rotate - it's easier to stay on track.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've been keto 2 to 3 months. My days vary and I do IF 5:2. So my diary would be very strange looking. Like JessicaL, I also use "fake food" to get MFP to post my day. Just do what works for you is the best advice.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This is just for ME - I have to log everything or if I begin "forgetting" I will soon begin lying to myself & from past diets I know it is the beginning of the end for ME (other ppl are different) so sometimes I panic when I see my carbs are so much higher than everyone but I take a breath remember 1. I am losing 2. It is going to be a long haul I know that 3. If I lose moderately every week hopefully I won't have so much loose skin a year from now. I am not one of those "It is just food & sometimes you just eat" ppl and know I never will be - it has to be a taste experience each and every meal - I know my shortcomings. We all just have to do what works for us.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I haven't been logging my foods lately either. I've been experimenting with IF and I hate the food diary yelling at me for not eating enough.
    I did log foods daily to begin with. And even then I'd get the occasional "you aren't eating enough".
    I keep attempts here and there to log what I eat but I'm not the best. Lol
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I set my target at 1500, but track my daily steps at work and end up eating those calories back too.
    Some days I skip breakfast. Need lunch at work just to break up the day. Then supper when I get home.
    Not losing much but at least I am not still gaining.
    Afraid I will have to drop to 1000 per day and completely give up alcohol to lose the 50 I would like to get rid of.
  • tribal351
    Options
    Ah, the fake food bit may be the reason why a couple looked strange. I'm thinking, "hey, I'll take a look at some friends diaries to get some good ideas on diet plans!". Breakfast- rutabagas, chocolate, 1/2 banana, ground cumin, 1/4 cup chitterlings. Nope. No good menu ideas here... Didn't guess that they were throwing food in there just to stop the nagging. Makes sense now, lol.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Ah, the fake food bit may be the reason why a couple looked strange. I'm thinking, "hey, I'll take a look at some friends diaries to get some good ideas on diet plans!". Breakfast- rutabagas, chocolate, 1/2 banana, ground cumin, 1/4 cup chitterlings. Nope. No good menu ideas here... Didn't guess that they were throwing food in there just to stop the nagging. Makes sense now, lol.

When I was losing I ate 1500 a day. Now that I'm maintaining I'm eating 1820. It's hard for me to come up with things to eat! Lol, but I kind of HAVE to hit maintenance right now so. Food...lots of food.... :lol:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I know I don't log everything, but I'm trying to be better at that...I have chocolate every day and it never gets logged...but I try to get my 1-2 meals and any snacks I eat into the log...weekdays are pretty consistent, weekends are a bit of a mess, and my carbs have been high the last week so I really need to buckle down...I do like looking for ideas in other people's food...
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Some people don't track all their meals. For example I'll cook a meal that I will have for the next several days for lunch. In the morning I'll have BPC either by itself or with bacon and eggs or with greek yogurt and berries. Then dinner will either be another dinner I have prepped or I will determine when I get home based on the macros and calories I have left. So my diet is very copy/paste with a little variation deepening on what I do for breakfast. So occasionally I won't track a meal if I know it's the exact same as the day before.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options

LOL! No I bet that's what they ate. I love that you look through other old diaries for ideas too. I'm guessing a pork rind encrusted banana dipped in low carb chocolate sauce?! ROLF

The "fake food" isn't making up food. It's an entry someone made that's actually called "Fake Food so I Can Sumbit My Log."

You can look it up by searching foods for "fake food". It had zero nutritional data, but 100 calories per cup. That way you can hit the predetermined 1000 cals so you don't get yelled at for eating too little, but it won't mess up your nutrients you're tracking. :)