BodyPump: Strength or Cardio?

Options
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BodyPump
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkkd7D-lu18

Looks a bit crazy but its the only time I use a barbell and have someone to show me proper form with weights.
I usually do like a 15 minute workout twice/three times a week with free weights but I get bored easily, can I use this to substitute one session of strength training?

Replies

• Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bodypump is great, especially if you are just starting out. It is strength training that is also a cardio work out because of the high reps that are done for each exercise. I love it !
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Bodypump is great, especially if you are just starting out. It is strength training that is also a cardio work out because of the high reps that are done for each exercise. I love it !

Sorry, I consider it cardio. Or at least more on par with circuit training than an actual strength building lifting routine.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Definitely. My old gym offered this class and it is purely strength training, yet your heart rate will increase due to the pace of the class. If you enjoy barbell work, you will enjoy this class.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    I'm more confused than I was before. The thing is that I do lift kinda heavy in the class. So I think I might use it as strength training until I start building muscle or something.
  • Jexebel
    Jexebel Posts: 67
    Options
    It's really not considered 'lifting heavy' if you are lifting it for 50+ reps. So basically it's cardio with weights. Also, I've seen the instructors for this class have very poor form with some of the lifts, and (at least the ones in my gym) use the bar only - pretty lame.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Cardio.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    Ugh. I hate lifting and had thought I had found a fun way to do it. *sigh.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This article kind of exlpains the difference:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

He'd classify it as "metabolic" training. You could certainly do it once or twice a week as long as you are doing a good full body workout at least twice a week as well. I'd recommend Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    For at least the next 10 weeks I am all about strength, training only. Check out the group I just started, I would love to see more young people get started early on and if you think this is for you, you are so welcome to join us:) Very few of us so far, just started the group today! Denise
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7882-hooya-give-me-more
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BodyPump
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkkd7D-lu18

Looks a bit crazy but its the only time I use a barbell and have someone to show me proper form with weights.
    I usually do like a 15 minute workout twice/three times a week with free weights but I get bored easily, can I use this to substitute one session of strength training?
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I hate lifting and had thought I had found a fun way to do it. *sigh.

I've been taking Body Pump regularly for almost two years. It is most definitely lifting but endurance lifting. Some of the tracks will leave you breathless if you put your all into them so there is an element of cardio too. If you get bored using free weights then I think Body Pump is a great alternative. The instructors at my gym are hardcore on form and technique and push us to keep upping our weights and pushing ourselves to lift more/work harder/get better. I have seen major results from Body Pump and would recommend it to anyone!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Definitely cardio. Legs like these aren't made in bodypump.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    This article kind of exlpains the difference:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

He'd classify it as "metabolic" training. You could certainly do it once or twice a week as long as you are doing a good full body workout at least twice a week as well. I'd recommend Strong Lifts 5x5.

Yeah I do Strong Lifts 5x5 twice a week (well I try to anyway), so thanks for this. :bigsmile:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Do an olympic lifting program then. Should cure your boredom.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Thread seems pretty much over but I'd still like to chime in.

No.

Now that I've seen your weights program, definitely no substitute.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in. Cardio for sure. If you are bored with stronglifts, add 5lbs until you quit being bored.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options

I don't use the barbell at the moment(don't kill me) so it doesn't seem right. :embarassed:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I don't use the barbell at the moment(don't kill me) so it doesn't seem right. :embarassed:

If you're not using a barbell, you're not doing Strong Lifts. :huh: I'm going to guess that you're also not adding weight every day like you are supposed to? Once you start getting up there in weights it becomes really challenging which is what makes it not boring.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options

If you're not using a barbell, you're not doing Strong Lifts. :huh: I'm going to guess that you're also not adding weight every day like you are supposed to? Once you start getting up there in weights it becomes really challenging which is what makes it not boring.

I use dumbbells because someone always seems to be using the barbell at my gym...and I can't be bothered to wait. There is another gym which I can visit as part of my membership which has more barbells but it takes 45 minutes to walk there and I'm lazy. I am moving to university soon, so hopefully they will have more barbells at their gym.

Though I thought using free weights was good enough..until I actually commit to the program.:embarassed:

Oh and haven't liked tracked the weights I've used so I yeah I don't know if I've increased my weight.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I use dumbbells because someone always seems to be using the barbell at my gym...and I can't be bothered to wait. There is another gym which I can visit as part of my membership which has more barbells but it takes 45 minutes to walk there and I'm lazy. I am moving to university soon, so hopefully they will have more barbells at their gym.

Though I thought using free weights was good enough..until I actually commit to the program.:embarassed:

Oh and haven't liked tracked the weights I've used so I yeah I don't know if I've increased my weight.

You don't have any bars at your gym, or plates or anything? No squat racks, power racks, bench presses? Each of these should have a typical olympic bar (45lbs) with stacks of plates somewhere to add. Maybe I am confused. Yeah, you definitely need to track what you are lifting each time, now wonder you are bored.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    You don't have any bars at your gym, or plates or anything? No squat racks, power racks, bench presses? Each of these should have a typical olympic bar (45lbs) with stacks of plates somewhere to add. Maybe I am confused. Yeah, you definitely need to track what you are lifting each time, now wonder you are bored.

We have one power rack, two bench press and all the usual plates. I'm not conversed with the terminology so when I say barbell I think I mean a power rack with plates on the side and a bar.