Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    W2D2 complete. Now my daughter has joined my son and I! She did amazing.
  • kjdaughtridge
    kjdaughtridge Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tried to talk my daughter into starting with me--she's away at college. But she didn't want to. :(
    The timing would have been perfect for us to do a 5k when she's home for Thanksgiving.

It's her first year at college and I think she's overwhelmed. Maybe it will motivate her when she sees how far I've come.
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 2, Day 3. Much better jog/walk today than Wed in the heat. Now I feel ready to make that move up to 3 minutes next week.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    W2D3 complete. Starting week 3 on Sunday. We are so excited! We had an awesome run tonight.
  • kjdaughtridge
    Options
    W2D3 sort of complete. I had to cut it short because it started pouring and I panicked about my phone getting wet. Mainly missed the cool down and a couple of the running intervals. I'm not sure if I should repeat this day or just move on. I'm not having any problems with the running segments so I'm thinking I'll just start week 3 next time.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    C25k Run/Jog W2D1. By the time we got back to the house after my run combined with our walk, I was unusually wiped out. I'm not sure why. The run felt pretty hard and my heart rate was pretty high for most of the run (a couple of times it got up to my theoretical "maximum" heart rate of 161).

Stats for today: 1.66 miles in 21:00 for a pace of 12:36. I went a little bit farther up the hill than I did last time.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    W3D1 completed.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    36' today, 3.93km and i felt absolutely exhausted. it's been getting colder and colder in the morning, so i wore a long sleeved shirt today, but i was so hot and sweaty it was not pleasant.felt pretty crappy when i got home. it seems i'll have to run with a t-shirt on even during the winter.
  • hydeaway62
    hydeaway62 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Did my first workout today W1D1. Almost everything that could go wrong did. Took my slightly overweight golden retriever with me (We have been walking together briskly for the last month to get ready for today). It took my 2 or 3 minutes to get the arm band with my phone on my arm because of her pulling at the leash. I did get ANY audio cues from my phone on when to run/walk. I only got about half the cues on my Apple watch, so it was a guessing game on when to run. I think I ran 2 1/2 minutes one time without stopping. I didn't get the cue on when I was halfway so ran/walked further than I should have before I turned around. The good news is that I ran longer and further than I should have. I think the culprit was trying to run iRunsmooth and C210K at the same time. I'll try only running C210K on Wednesday.

Question. Does anyone run Spotify while they are using their C25K app? Any issues with audio cues on walk/run?

CW: 207.2 GW: 175 #Loss 7
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    36' today, 3.93km and i felt absolutely exhausted. it's been getting colder and colder in the morning, so i wore a long sleeved shirt today, but i was so hot and sweaty it was not pleasant.felt pretty crappy when i got home. it seems i'll have to run with a t-shirt on even during the winter.

I'm still learning how to dress for the weather when running. I mostly used the treadmill last winter but during the spring I found that I could run in weather that was too cold for a walk. This winter I want to keep running outside when I can. If I bundle up too much I overheat, but I don't want to be miserably cold before I warm up.

I have a long sleeved, very thin fabric shirt with a scoop neck from 32 Degrees that works for some temperatures, although I am really sensitive to cold in the chest and neck area, so I tend to put on a dickey to keep that area warm at the beginning. It's small enough that I can briefly slow down or stop, take it off and put it in a pocket if I start getting too warm.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    hydeaway62 wrote: »
    Did my first workout today W1D1. Almost everything that could go wrong did. Took my slightly overweight golden retriever with me (We have been walking together briskly for the last month to get ready for today). It took my 2 or 3 minutes to get the arm band with my phone on my arm because of her pulling at the leash. I did get ANY audio cues from my phone on when to run/walk. I only got about half the cues on my Apple watch, so it was a guessing game on when to run. I think I ran 2 1/2 minutes one time without stopping. I didn't get the cue on when I was halfway so ran/walked further than I should have before I turned around. The good news is that I ran longer and further than I should have. I think the culprit was trying to run iRunsmooth and C210K at the same time. I'll try only running C210K on Wednesday.

Question. Does anyone run Spotify while they are using their C25K app? Any issues with audio cues on walk/run?

CW: 207.2 GW: 175 #Loss 7

Great job! Chalk this up as a success because 1) you started the program; 2) you completed the run despite several reasons to call it quits!

I've not really had much success with arm bands... I have 2 and it just feels uncomfortable and I can never seem to control my phone very well in that position. So, I opted for a running belt that has a slide pocket in the front for my phone and I love it... of course, you would need to get the audio cues figured out before you go this route.

I started with the C25K by ZenLabs, but based on others suggestions I tried the RunDouble app since it also has GPS built in so you can either do the program based on time or by distance. With all of my running apps I have used Google Play for my music, so should be similar as Spotify since it is also a streaming audio player. When I run, I use RunDouble (includes warm up and cool down), MapMyFitness (syncs with MFP), Polar Beat (heart rate monitor), and Google Play all at the same time and don't have any issues with anything other than it kills my battery, lol. I get the correct audio cues from all of the fitness apps as well. Not that it should matter, but my phone is an Android.

Good luck!
  • jennypapage
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

I'm still learning how to dress for the weather when running. I mostly used the treadmill last winter but during the spring I found that I could run in weather that was too cold for a walk. This winter I want to keep running outside when I can. If I bundle up too much I overheat, but I don't want to be miserably cold before I warm up.

I have a long sleeved, very thin fabric shirt with a scoop neck from 32 Degrees that works for some temperatures, although I am really sensitive to cold in the chest and neck area, so I tend to put on a dickey to keep that area warm at the beginning. It's small enough that I can briefly slow down or stop, take it off and put it in a pocket if I start getting too warm.

yeah,it's going to be a challenge finding the right balance between freezing and overheating.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @jennypapaje and @NancyN795 Learning to dress for cold weather is a bit of an art form.
    Temperature, Wind and Humidity all play a role in the " Perceived Temperature ".
    Most of the runners in our local club have a "Clothing Log" which they refer to when selecting clothes for a run. Primarily refers to the temperature, what they wore, distance and how they felt at different stages of the run. ie Start, 1km, middle, end, post run.

Various online resources are available as guidelines.

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
    https://blog.underarmour.com/training/definitive-guide-defeating-elements/
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-weather-running/five-keys-to-winter-training-and-racing
    http://www.runnersworld.com/advice/twenty-years-twenty-lessons#
    0zoa3ugt36ec.jpg

I am a Human Furnace so wear less clothing than just about everyone in our little club. I am a firm believer in Starting out a little chilled as I will quickly warm up.
  • jennypapage
    Options
    thank you for that.we're curently at 14 degrees in the morning, so i guess a tshirt is still the right thing to wear.
  • jennypapage
    Options
    36', 4.1km today.i don't know what happened but my run felt sooo good. i wore a tshirt even though the temp. has dropped to 8 degrees celcious and i was freezing during my warm up. well i was feeling great throughout. not hot, not out of breath, not exhausted. i also focused on correcting my upper body posture and that helped too i think.by the end i felt like i could go further and my breath went back to normal in the first minute of my cool down.i feel great!
  • hydeaway62
    hydeaway62 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    W1D2. Feeling good. Still having issues getting the app to play well on phone. I think I am almost there.

60909834.png
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    W3D2 complete.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    W3D3 completed
  • kjdaughtridge
    Options
    I missed a whole week. ☹️️. I was supposed to do week 3 last week but I started a new job and was overwhelmed. It's a new week and I'm determined to jump back in.