New to LCHF can I eat peanut butter

Options
pangy1958
pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
Hi Everyone, I was just wondering can I eat peanut butter. Would that be classed as a good fat or very high in carbs. Tank you for your help.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I eat all natural PB from time to time. It helped me ease in to LC and PB on celery became "dessert" my first week. I haven't had it much since, but with 4 grams net carbs, it can fit in my meal plan. I wouldn't get any with added sugar or oils though.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It depends on the peanut butter. Some are full of sugar and others aren't. I hope some more people answer with their preffered brands. I haven't eaten peanut butter since beginning this way of eating, but others do eat it.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I get Adams crunchy :) Or Laura Scudder, but usually Adams.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I also did PB on celery and then even just PB by itself. For me it's VERY easy to over eat so I have to cut myself off. Now I only do PB when I'm making some sort of fat bomb with 30+ g of additional fat to make up for the added carbs and not by PB itself because the carb count is just a little too high for me.
  • sh512266
    sh512266 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would eat way too much of it if I ate it, so I don't. Too easy for me to go nuts on it!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter all the time. You just need to watch your portions and if you don't think just a serving can satisfy you then it might be better to pass on it. I have see a lot of reports of peanut butter binges. It's an easy food to overeat for sure!

I get the Kroger brand natural kind with just peanuts and salt. No sugar.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    I eat Adam's all natural or Smucker's natural. No added sugar in either, just peanuts and salt.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I eat it sometimes.
    Read the label. Try to find ones made from just peanuts and salt.
    Many add not only sugar but vegetable oil as well.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I make fat bombs with my peanut butter and add coconut oil so it's not so carb heavy. Once I'm through this jar I'm going to the hippie isle in kroger and making my own all natural stuff so I know there's 0 sugar in it :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    OH but if you're in Canada hit up Bulk Barn, that place is AMAZING. You can pick your own container and fill it with as much peanut butter as you like. Just you know, avoid all the bins of candy ;)
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    OH but if you're in Canada hit up Bulk Barn, that place is AMAZING. You can pick your own container and fill it with as much peanut butter as you like. Just you know, avoid all the bins of candy ;)

That place sounds amazing!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making your own PB?
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    When I first started all my snacks at night were peanut butter by the spoonful and/or pork rinds. I hardly ever touch them now. It sure did help curb the banned list cravings!
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I eat it occasionally, as a treat, on oatcakes. But as everyone else says, avoid the sugary brands. Whole Earth is good.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I think I will have to be careful with the peanut butter as I do like it and may eat to much. You have been very helpful thank you once again.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I love the kind I get from Trader Joe's. It has one, and only one ingredient: peanuts. :smile:
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    pangy1958 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I was just wondering can I eat peanut butter. Would that be classed as a good fat or very high in carbs. Tank you for your help.

You need to look for the peanut butters that have two ingredients on the label: peanuts and salt. Don't be fooled by "Natural" on the label - this just means they use sugar or honey instead of other sweeteners. It's a good high fat, low carb food that goes with a lot of things. If you like PB cookies I have a recipe (makes 12, 4 carbs a cookie) I'll post. I make this every few weeks when I'm missing cookies. Makes a pretty decent facsimile.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    https://allynorris.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/keto-friendly-peanut-butter-cookies/amp/

Ive found that using ALMOND extract rather than vanilla makes these super yummy (and smells great).
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    we had a peanut butter conversation a couple of weeks ago, so from that I bought the Laura Scudders Smooth, which came today ... it is liquid ... the whole jar, Not like the oil separated out and just needs to be stirred, but liquid, it is like broth consistency. I thought it was just because I got it from Amazon and it was warm from shipping but I've had it in the fridge for about 12 hours and it's got a little thicker, but not by much.

What do y'all think ... should I leave it in the fridge for longer or is there something wrong with the jar I received. Can you tell I'm dying to give it a try - LOL.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Hmmm. How does it smell? If it smells ok, I think I'd try it. Some of them are runny.