New to LCHF can I eat peanut butter

Options
2»

Replies

• HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I tend to not eat peanuts/peanut butter due to the molds that might come with it (mold causing toxins that are carcinogenic). Also, they probably cause inflammation.

I don't think it would be terrible in moderation and as a once in a while food. Particularly, if you can find a peanut grinder in store so you know what is in it.

A lot of people use almond butter as an alternative.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I hope a user of Laura Scudders pops in to let you know their experience regarding appearance of the brand. I'd expect oil settled on the top but not a whole jar of oil. Perhaps you could call their customer service or take a pic and email customer service?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    we had a peanut butter conversation a couple of weeks ago, so from that I bought the Laura Scudders Smooth, which came today ... it is liquid ... the whole jar, Not like the oil separated out and just needs to be stirred, but liquid, it is like broth consistency. I thought it was just because I got it from Amazon and it was warm from shipping but I've had it in the fridge for about 12 hours and it's got a little thicker, but not by much.

What do y'all think ... should I leave it in the fridge for longer or is there something wrong with the jar I received. Can you tell I'm dying to give it a try - LOL.

This is not typical at all. Can you post a pic?
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @MiamiDawn Did you see any reviews or questions on Amazon about that?

ETA: I'm looking at this site for reviews and pics and it looks like it should be solid. I would send back.
  • mickigoad
    mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    I love the kind I get from Trader Joe's. It has one, and only one ingredient: peanuts. :smile:

TJ's is my choice for PB as well.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    In Western Canada, Nutter's bulk & health food store also does BYOcontainer fresh ground while you wait peanut butter too. No added anything, of course. I really like Macadamia nut butter and Nuts to You Rainforest Nut Butter (Brazil nuts, cashews, and coconut) - yummy but expensive, nice for a change though.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I choose not to eat peanut butter because the Omega 6 levels are pretty high, because I choose not to eat legumes, and because nuts tend to make my eyes roll back like a shark in a feeding frenzy.

Only you will be able to tell if you can tolerate peanut butter, and whether it throws you off your game.

My suggestion: Go without Peanut Butter for a month. No substitutions, no cheats. Then add back (HIGH QUALITY ORGANIC whole food) peanut butter after that and see how you react.

A lot of people say "I could never live without _____!"
    It's my opinion that if you say that about ANY food, you have an emotional dependence on that food that you might want to re-examine.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    k5j6ryneowry.jpg

I called customer service and they said it should be fine and to just refrigerate. I did originally check the Amazon comments and went with Laura Scudder because the other brand mentioned said it was too runny at room temperature. The jar has now been in the fridge for over 24 hours and while thicker, it is still runny as you can see in the picture. It doesn't smell bad and doesn't look spoiled.

I'll let it sit in the fridge awhile longer as the center is starting to thicken up a little. If it doesn't solid up then I'll probably either return it our use it in recipes.
    pb.jpg 169.9K
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    k5j6ryneowry.jpg

I called customer service and they said it should be fine and to just refrigerate. I did originally check the Amazon comments and went with Laura Scudder because the other brand mentioned said it was too runny at room temperature. The jar has now been in the fridge for over 24 hours and while thicker, it is still runny as you can see in the picture. It doesn't smell bad and doesn't look spoiled.

I'll let it sit in the fridge awhile longer as the center is starting to thicken up a little. If it doesn't solid up then I'll probably either return it our use it in recipes.

That is so strange! I only ever buy this brand and Adams which is the same product and have never seen a jar like this. I do buy crunchy though.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I eat peanut butter all the time. You just need to watch your portions and if you don't think just a serving can satisfy you then it might be better to pass on it. I have see a lot of reports of peanut butter binges. It's an easy food to overeat for sure!

I get the Kroger brand natural kind with just peanuts and salt. No sugar.

I also eat peanut butter. Just watch your portion size and I buy the same brand as above. Comes both chunky and smooth.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Had a weird peanut butter experience last night - I usually eat Kraft Crunchy and lots of it but haven't had it for 87 days so last night I had a spoonful & I immediately got sick - I felt catapulted into what seemed like the flu in an instant. Had a Cold FX and went to bed at 9 woke up this morning and felt fine. I know the PB has sugar in it etc but could it have been the PB that made me sick?? (It is not stale dated)
  • Perry47
    Perry47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with peanut butter...I can't stop at one serving!!
    So...I don't have it in the house. I'm lucky, I live alone!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I eat it. When I have time, I make my own in the food processor (pretty easy). I get different brands other times.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    About the Laura Scudder pb, that is extremely unusual... I always buy the crunchy LS brand and the oil separates so I have to give it a stir every time I grab some. This time, I bought smooth and while there was less oil separation, it was definitely not as runny like the photo you posted.