Refeed/Cheat Days.. when and how much?

Options
aspoerr1
aspoerr1 Posts: 13 Member
So typically I have a cheat day on Sundays to indulge in the foods I miss. I know it has set me back in the past and I'm working on making it more of a refeed day than a cheat. Cut out the fats and raise the leptin levels without gaining back all I worked to lose.

Question is, do you do refeed or cheat days? How often do you do yours? What does a typically refeed/cheat look to you?

My breakfasts are usually on point. Proats with just a little fruit, berries, and powdered peanut butter. Yum. But from there it's lately been turning into a ' I'm not sure what to eat so I'll just eat ANYTHING carby! '

Replies

• moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A cheat day tends to stall my losses for at least a week so I wouldn't want to have them more than every 3 months or so. It depends if/how much you're trying to lose, I guess?
  • 603PIPER
    603PIPER Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my cheats to one meal a week. If I have been really on track I may splurge with a small piece of chocolate, or something sweet. I have noticed now that my carb and sugar intake is lower, sweets taste so much better when I do have them, makes it more rewarding!

But when I do have a cheat meal, usually the next day I will try to counter it by keeping my carbs very low compared to my usual 30g limit.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Once per week, usually on Saturday now. I can get away without them on normal caloric intake, but they are mandatory with my current intake. It's not for foods I miss though. I am not a fan of carb heavy stuff. Unfortunately my current cutting method requires them. I find potatoes tolerable at least, so that's generally what gets used.

And for me, it's not a cheat day. It's a five hour window after lifting on that day where I have to get in 350-400g of carbs. Would probably be easier if I used sugary garbage, but screw that noise.
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I can't -- I get carb crabby and stall myself too long. Plus, my fibro pain return with inflammation.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I had one cheat meal since I started 23 days ago and it really screwed me up. I won't be doing that again because of how crummy I felt for a few days after and how much it triggered my carb cravings. So the answer for me is no, I don't incorporate cheat meals and don't plan to. It is not beneficial for me, at least at this point. Maybe once I am at goal weight or something.
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Never. I don't want to run the risk of enjoying it too much.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't plan high carb cheats. I'm in this for the health benefits so planning high carb days would ruin that.

That being said, I have had some high low-carb days where I've eaten more carbs than I should. I don't feel that well afterwards though, and my blood glucose may be blown for a day or two.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I haven't since I started 7 weeks ago. I'm afraid it will be a slippery slope for me.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I started this WOE on 8/14. I haven't had a cheat meal or day and I don't want to. It doesn't appeal to me.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I ate a cupcake and fell off the wagon...still not back on 100%...no cheating only kills me.
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @aspoerr1 I did a cheat day several weeks ago. It was planned as well as my food following the cheat day for a week. Just to make sure that it was only ONE day and I could indeed get back on track right away. I could and I did, but I may be the exception that proves the rule as that seems to be a recurring theme in my life.

I think if you are interested in carb cycling you could look at either Carb Nite (Stressing one refeed day a week but it's really easy to take it too far) or Alt-Shift (5days 30g carb or under, then 3 days of under 40g of fat, which stresses metabolic flexibility). Both of those accommodate the Leptin issues.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    No cheat days with food, but definitely with alcohol, especially wine. Mostly weekends. It's shifting though...I just can't drink as much now because I can really feel it in the morning if I over indulge. I'd rather feel good than not.

My fam and I were just talking about thanksgiving. I plan to remain compliant, but my husband is going to take a day break for stuffing, pie, etc. I don't think it will stall him too much - he will eat whatever I put in front of him without too much complaining.

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My cheat days are Tuesdays because Tuesday is wing night, LOL. I do my best to have my "cheat" days be more high calorie days rather than high carb, because I don't want to waste any time burning carbs/glucose then switching back to fats again. Weekends I usually have higher calorie meals too because keto pancakes and bacon are life. This is all personal preference though!
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Haven't really done what I would consider a full fledged cheat. The breaded piece of fish and chicken or 2 or 3 at the boat show in South Carolina taught me a lesson. Nothing bad happened, but keto number was surely down a lot. I agree with a lot of the others on here. If I had a full cheat meal or day, it would return those cravings, stall the progress I have tried like hell to achieve, and probably make feel like a mixture of a dumpster and someone's toilet. No thanks.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't. Because I'm a binger and a demon will be let loose. I have found though with this way of eating I don't really want to. Which is cool!
  • aspoerr1
    aspoerr1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the input ! My body is weird.. I'm able to jump right back onto my diet after my cheat/refeed days.. and usually I hardly feel any keto-flu-like symptoms. I guess everybody is different.

I do however like to binge on that particular day.. that is my downfall :(

Anybody do any type of cyclical keto specifically?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @aspoerr1 I'm going to try this once I lose the 8 left to get back to goal weight:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3875914/
    Long Term Successful Weight Loss with a Combination Biphasic Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet and Mediterranean Diet Maintenance Protocol
    Listened to a really interesting talk about it on the KetoSummit earlier this month.

If you are into recomp via lifting AND food cycle, this site has additional info, also @Gallowmere1984 is doing something similar I think. Try messaging him or check this thread: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442337/phase-2-the-keto-bulk#latest
    Also check with @samanthaluangphixay - she lifts too.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty interesting article @canadjineh and I too remember a similar discussion in one of the ketosummit interviews. I have long suspected "increased circulating grehlin" as the problem I was experiencing after weight loss, in maintenance. Based on calorie intake alone there was absolutely no reason for me to be experiencing this hunger. In my case, I did not have a severe calorie restriction when losing weight so was completely taken aback that I could have messed up my metabolism or hormones as often happens in very low calorie diets. Just another physiological reason maintenance is difficult. Good to read that keto does not seem to have as much negative impact on RMR and hunger hormones.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was only talking about cheating with carbs, like having pasta or fries. I have gone slightly over my 50 carb limit and I've gone over in calories. I don't track either anymore. I eat when I'm hungry and I know how many carbs are in the things I eat. Having a full blown cheat meal or day doesn't appeal to me, because of all of the posts I've read about the suffering of those who have. I don't crave carbs and I don't want to go through the keto flu ever again.