Venting

Options
ConstantStruggle
ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
I have fallen off the keto wagon....I was doing really good (lost 6 lbs, which is good for me, only had 8 to go) and then I started a new job where lunch is catered in everyday. I'm still taking my lunch to work but I've been making worse choices away from work and I think it's cuz the food I am seeing at work is making me crave carbs more and then I say "oh I can have 1 or 2 pieces of this chocolate/bread or whatever", then it turns into, "we'll I just ruined the whole day so f### it!!
I drink alcohol also but was doing great at figuring that in. Gin and diet tonic has 0 carbs so that is my go to but I can't seem to keep the calories down along with carbs. I know this will work if I stick to it but I just can't stay within perameters. I envy all of you that have done any kind of diet and stuck to it. I've been trying to lose the same 10-15 lbs for 2-3 years and I lose 6 and gain it back.....it is just so frustrating. I'm really not looking for any sympathy I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening! Lol

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Vent away! Most of us have been there. The struggle is real.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just messed up yezterday and this morning too...its ok
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Can you maybe work on noticing how the cabs make you feel when you go crazy? I know for me realizing that eating higher carbs really really causes some GI distress helps make choosing not to eat them easier.
  • ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do any of u drink alcohol? If so, what?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Very rarely, and when I do, it's usually an Irish Whiskey or Scotch.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I drink alcohol every weekend. I like gin and club soda also tequila and soda with lime in a salted glass. If I have my liquid stevia with me, I'll add a bit so I have more of a margarita thing going on.
    I usually drink dry red wine though. Literally every Friday or Saturday. Sometimes both days.
    Though I should say I've been working on losing my last 10 pounds for over a year too. Though I have gone down a whole pant size even though I've lost no scale weight. So I'm not concentrating on the weight. I haven't had any episodes of falling off the wagon and I think it's because I look at it just @Gallowmere1984 says. I don't care what others "get" to eat. Honestly, I feel bad that other people don't know what I know. I feel like finding keto has been a godsend and a privilege for me. I've been at it over 18 months with no slip ups and it must be due to that mindset.
    Embrace it. Eating low carb isn't something we "have to do", it's something we "get to do". It gives us an advantage over others they don't even understand.
    Don't worry about eating too many calories on occasion. If you don't push your luck with crap foods you won't need to worry about it. Don't blame eating too many calories when it's pushing the limits of the diet that's to blame. It'll keep you focused on the calories and not the problem foods.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Straight liquor and zero-carb mixers (like ice or olive juice) in modest quantities - which is OK, because keto makes you the cheapest drunk in the county.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Doing alternate day fasting. I always have a glass or two of red wine on my eating days. I water fast on my non-eating days...usually 36 hrs from last intake til next intake. That's what gets me thru my fasting days...looking forward to really good food and my wine! But, I am very strict otherwise.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @baconslave I love that song, it makes me want to dance around, lol! Wouldn't like it sung by a 5 yr old though.
    Any good hard liquor (except gin, I'm not a huge fan of gin) preferably straight up. Red wine, white wine. But not all that often, maybe 3 or 4 drinks a month (2 - twice a month).
  • ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol (on diet or not) - I am in Mexico right now and super grateful to everyone that has posted about a relapse - been under 30 carbs since July keep net carbs under 20. I don't eat meat only hCP465SFsome fish eggs and cheese.
    I have not eaten any processed carbs since being here - it's been difficult - a "carby" breakfast has always been my go to treat on vacay. Haven't done it. Not on my IF schedule, eating lots of nuts, giving myself latitude with veggies and calories. But no chips no rice no fruit no croissant or pancakes no toast no desert- it is all of you in my head - thinking about how great it has been reaping the benefits of the LC lifestyle - clothes fit so well, happy to,put on a bathing suit - why sabatoge it for a fling with carbs? It seems like it is hard to get back to it so why get off it?
    I walked about 40 minutes today to a health food store. Had a great LCHF brunch and found natural almond butter. That's a big treat. Life is good.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    OP
    Big hugs to you, I feel you mate.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »
    Doing alternate day fasting. I always have a glass or two of red wine on my eating days. I water fast on my non-eating days...usually 36 hrs from last intake til next intake. That's what gets me thru my fasting days...looking forward to really good food and my wine! But, I am very strict otherwise.

Bully for you! How did you happen to get into ADF?
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    idocdlw wrote: »

Bully for you! How did you happen to get into ADF?

Made the mistake of doing LC without the HF in the past, then ADF on a primarily vegetarian diet. Desperate to make the military standards for waist measurements. Then looked at the guys who showed up to work every day with a dozen boiled eggs for breakfast and started talking to them. It was truly years of trial and error and learning from others. Since I have been doing LCHF with IF, I have made great strides.

My nemesis(es) (despite my education, I am unsure how to pluralize nemesis and to lazy to google) have been tortillas for quesadillas, blue nacho chips for nachos and when I ate cheese I was convinced it had to go on a Wheat Thin. Those days are over...thank goodness.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    As much as no one likes to hear it, situations like this happen all of the time, and eventually you just have to mentally bitchslap yourself into saying no.

This. I was where you are just a few short days ago. This is what it took to be back on track.... And these gray people in the forum.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @baconslave I love that song, it makes me want to dance around, lol! Wouldn't like it sung by a 5 yr old though.

I think I'd like the song better if it wasn't coming out of my son's mouth. Over and over. Yes, I said my son. Sung with all the sass he can muster. The other one I hear from him all the time is Taylor Swift's Shake It Off. Which I also have a low-carb version of. Coping mechanisms... :lol: My oldest daughter (14) plays her music loudly and constantly.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    "I've been trying to lose the same 10-15 lbs for 2-3 years and I lose 6 and gain it back.....it is just so frustrating. I'm really not looking for any sympathy I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening! Lol"

OP: I was in the same place that you mentioned above until I finally made it the NUMBER ONE priority in my life. Instead of just "mouthing" my need to lose, I finally made up my mind to shut my mouth and just get it done.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I work in a large office. It's someone's birthday every other day. There are always left over conference foods in the kitchen. The lady I sit next to has the top drawer of her desk full of fun sized chocolates and the bottom drawer full of packets of crisps. My hubby eats candy and crisps and all sorts of stuff every night. Life is full of temptation. It's easier for me now because I've been keto for so long but you really need to just get it straight in your head that this stuff is basically poison, and what it does to your body when you eat it is not worth it. I'm not even tempted anymore. I don't see chocolate, I see diabetes, or at least how crap it is going to make me feel.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    .... And these gray people in the forum.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :p