Binge Free November

Options

Replies

• lilltessiiie
    lilltessiiie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @Gettingfit2017 Thank you! No binging Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday! I've tried to keep myself buzzy - scheduling to meet up with people, going to the gym, going for a walk, or pretty much whatever I can think of to keep myself distracted. I always binge to wind down after a stressful day at work, but if I don't allow myself to just go home and be alone with all the food it's easier to avoid the binge.
    I'm sorry you had a bad day Sunday. You said before that you put on a workout video and did that when you had the urge to binge once, have you tried that more?
  • lilltessiiie
    Options
    Had a horrible food day today. Totally out of control..
  • melsouth1972
    melsouth1972 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hope you are ok, I could eat toast now with lashings of butter, a real trigger food for me
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Me too @lilltessiiie. It's been a rough binge day
  • lilltessiiie
    Options
    @Gettingfit2017 Bug hug!
  • lilltessiiie
    Options
    @Gettingfit2017 Hahahahaha, I ment "Big hug!" :D
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    Lol!!! I'll take a big hug. I'm kinda afraid of bugs so a bug hug could be a problem lol!!! @lilltessiiie
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new to the group! I am in recovery from a multi decade eating disorder. I've struggled w every kind of ED. Including BED! The past few months I have been doing really really well. My registered dietician who works w ED really helped me break the cycle. She said bingeing is typically triggered by restriction. So she had me so two things: normalize my eating. Every single day. 3 full meals (meaning carbs/fats/protein) at every meal and several snacks also w carbs/fats/protein. She really insisted I work hard a losing the idea of restricting any type of food- no cutting sugar, desserts, burgers, pizza. She wanted me to get back in touch w enjoying what I was eating. The other thing she had me do was work on stress management. I've been practicing "grounding" exercises-like tapping.

I've also now learned how to moderate my exercise. She did NOT want me to "kill it" in the gym. Gentle movement for months was what I was encouraged to do. Guess what... the bingeing began to subside then disappear and weight stabilized. Then went down. I continue to be vigilant w eating and not restricting. It's it easy, but it's possible. The second I feel like I'm "dieting", I feel the urge to binge- so I know to stay away from that feeling!!!

I love this grouo! There's strength in numbers!! And yes, the book Brain over binge is great as is Intuitive Eating.

Wishing you all the best! ❤️
  • ilikeike1925
    ilikeike1925 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    JShailen wrote: »
    Thanks so much.
    I've decided to do some reading on using fasting to break the binge cycle so I'll see how that goes.

The frustrating thing is that I've lost 140 lbs and kept it off for more than 2 years. But lately it's all getting out of control again and I'm gaining, and desperately afraid of continuing to do so. Stress is my problem, I stress eat and always have. Life at the moment is chock full of stress!

Ok, enough for now. I look forward to reading more updates from you all <3

Hey! Im Grace (I'm trans so I use he/him or they/them pronouns) and I'm new to the group, but I've definitely been having a similar problem. I've lost 54 pounds and it seemed easy enough at the time. But now, the urge to binge is so so strong that i would describe it as a compulsion. I think about food all the time, and hate my body but can't find motivation to get back on the wagon. Mine is triggered by stress too and, being a college student, my life is almost 100% stress.

That's why I'm joining this group - to communicate with people who are dealing with similar things and hopefully make some good connections. I think living healthy is definitely easier when you're not alone and have a community :smile:

• lilltessiiie
    Options
    @graciebear16 and @Mersie1 welcome to the group!

@Mersie1 I couldn't agree more with you. The goal is to have a healthy relationship with food and eating; no binging, no restricting, no guilt, no compensating by over-exercising or purging and no food obsessions.

There's a new week, new opportunities. I've managed to stay pretty much binge free so far this weekend. I'm aiming to bring the momentum into the coming week.

I really hope everybody's having a good weekend. <3
  • Mersie1
    Options
    Love it!!! Every day- every moment is a chance to treat ourselves w love and compassion.

Another thing my dietician has encouraged me to do is to stop saying I "should" eat this or that or I "should" exercise this amount or in that way... instead, show myself co
    Passion and choice and say, I "might" or I "could"... I've found it to be very helpful.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    Welcome @Mersie1 and @graciebear16! We are so happy you both are here!

This weekend was a complete eating debacle. At the end of the week I binged 4 out of 7 days in the week. I gasped when I got on the scale today. BUT, I woke up feeling amazing today. I feel refocused and oddly calm lol. I can't explain it. I have a lot of reasons to be happy to be alive and truly am blessed. My goal right now is to be binge free until Thanksgiving. I'm not making any promises on Thanksgiving. The smell of turkey, potatoes, stuffing and gravy almost makes me shake it is so delightfully good lol!!! It's also the holiday season and I'm not going to give up enjoying it with my family.

How is everyone else doing? I hope you are all having an awesome Monday!!!
  • lilltessiiie
    Options
    @Gettingfit2017 I'm sorry you had a bad weekend, But it makes me Really Really happy that you feel amazing! That's so wonderful, and that's what it's all about; how we feel. No guilt or blame, we all deserve more than that - we deserve to feel amazing. I'm so glad for you. Keep it up :)

I'm doing good. No binging 3 days in a row, and when I don't spend time alone binging I get more time to spend with family and friends, which makes me feel amazing :)
  • Mersie1
    Options
    Hi new friends and MFP Warriors! I have found that my most disastrous binges have actually taught me the most in terms of myself and has helped me to form a plan for the moments I feel the most vulnerable/anxious etc... I had a real challenge yesterday as I was so completely exhausted/tired. I have been feeling great and was completely caught off guard by how tired and emotional I was seemingly without warning. It is in those moments where a plan/coping and self compassion skills are everything.

My goals for the coming weeks/getting through the holidays are to continue focusing on what I am happy about/grateful for/what's going well... first thing in the am and last thing at night. Nourishing my body w in the way I've worked hard on w my ED dietician- 3 full meals and some snacks. I need to continue to work hard on not making my meals/foods "too healthy!" I have a tendency to want to rule out certain foods simply bec I know I can. The illusion of control that it gives me I must fight. Especially this time of year- it's tempting for me to say, I won't have any desserts until... that way of thinking is not actually in line w my long term-lifelong goals of how I want to be w food. It eventually comes back to bite me. My cycle ends up being I eat "better and better" (i.e. Very healthy/austere/less socially/more controlled.) my workouts feel good, fiercely consistent, they get longer. I convince myself I'm "on the right track!" I become more and more focused on how great im feeling physically and then at some point- whamo! The coin gets flipped and I'm bingeing, then bingeing more- I decide I can can "get back on track" -I dig in, doesn't work, my weight climbs, my self esteem plummets, my social isolation continues... however- for months I have been doing things differently! I have been making it not about my weight, tracking my food less and approximating more while trying to focus on feelings of hunger/fullness and the most illusive- satiety. There have been bumps in the road, but not the size of sinkholes anymore! It's difficult, but it's possible and I'm worth every ounce of the blood, sweat and tears that it sometimes takes!

I send you all hugs and high fives for believing you're worth the effort to feel good! Heart, soul and body!

• lilltessiiie
    Options
    3 days of balanced eating; breakfast, lunch and dinner with health snacks in between.
    Today; disaster. Normal breakfast, lunch and snacks during the day. Then 3 servings for dinner, several chocolate bars, 5 apples and 2 bananas, 5 servings of sweetened oatmeal, half a jar of peanut butter....
  • Fitgirllife72
    Options
    That is exactly the pattern I am in right now @lilltessiiie. I have a good couple of days and then I go completely crazy. I'm sorry I wish I had more advice for you right now. I just wanted you to know you are not alone in this struggle ❤️
  • lilltessiiie
    Options
    @Gettingfit2017 Thank you for your support. I can fight the urge for a few days, then I run out of will power and I just can not resist the binge, even though I know exactly how bad it'll make me feel afterwards. And I'm not restricting on my good days, because that's supposed to trigger binges. But I feel like it doesn't matter whether I restrict or eat normally, because I'll binge 3-4 days a week no matter what. The only difference is now that I'm not compensating I'm gaining weight... It's so hard. But it feels nice not to be alone in this struggle (even though, of course, I wish no-one to have to have this struggle in the first place) <3
  • lilltessiiie
    Options
    I'm really skilled at being good all day and binging at night. Like, right before I'm about to go to sleep I screw it all. A whole days worth of fighting and using a tone of will power. For nothing.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy I just found this group!!

I used to be on the Mfp community boards a lot but haven't been in months (though I do continue to log calories every day and have been for almost 2 years).

I was successful losing weight and then have plateaued the past year due to binging (all that excess food completely destroys any deficit and keeps me around Maintenance level. But that's not what I want).

Do you mind me asking how you all define a binge? For me, it's unplanned, unaccounted food (usually snack food) that ends up being more calories than a whole meal--sometimes multiple meals. When it happens in the morning I'm too stuffed to eat most of the day.

Outside of binges, I eat 3 balanced meals and track to make sure i have enough protein, fiber, and fat. Theoretically this should allow me to feel full. But I don't binge out of hunger. It's completely emotional. I think it's currently because I'm so "good" in most areas of my life and this is the one area where I throw caution to the wind. I know I don't win anything and certainly dont feel good.
  • lilltessiiie
    Options
    @jaga13 Welcome to the group!

I think a binge is something different to everyone but I will tell you what it looks like to me:
    It starts with a great general anxiety, and a feeling of being extremely stressed out. But it's a physical stress too. I can Feel the stress in my body. I can not think about anything else, can't focus, I can't be still, can't read, can't watch tv, nothing - until I give in to the urge. Then, the anxiety temporarily disappear. I zoom out. My body is numb. I'm like a zombie. I have no sense of time or anything happening around me. I want to stop, but I can't. It's physically impossible. It's like I'm in a vacuum. And then, all of a sudden - an hour has passed. I've consumed 5000 - 8000 calories. It's like waking up from deep sleep. I don't even remember all I ate. And I feel so bad about myself. Guilty. Ashamed. That's what a binge is like to me.