Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,121 Member
    Options
    Darn it. I had all intentions on getting on here and sending a nice long message but time has evaporated once again and I need to get in my car and buzz off for Mah Jongg. Really, not my fault this time with texts from a friend and a prayer chain request to send along its way.

Hugs to all dear Sneaker friends. I wish we were all healthy and wealthy. Obviously we are already wise.

Lin
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends,
    This seems to be the busiest time of the year. Last Sunday we had a blessing of our sanctuary. Someone had left our church a lot of money to be used to refurbish the church. All was done so we had a blessing and DH and I had to make all the food for the blessing. We take turns every Sunday and it just happened to be our turn. We made little sandwiches, roll ups with ham and cheese, fruit. Nuts. Olives, and 2 costco cakes. We were so tired the rest of the day.

This Sunday is our 51 anniversary and the day we have our church thanksgiving meal. When I moved here 3 yrs ago I was put in charge of organizing this event. We set up for 96 people and we fill every chair. So I will be very busy and tired.

Thanksgiving we are going to our grandson's new farm house they just bought. There will be 15 + people there and I just get to play with new babies.

To all my friends here happy thanksgiving and hugs to all of you.

Chris
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,075 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Nothing much going on today, plan on getting my Thanksgiving cards and a birthday card ready for mailing, but that is about all. I am taking this week to watch my calories and ride my bike with the hopes of losing the extra pounds. Wish me luck.

Chris,

ub12syvnaxv2.png

Enjoy both your Church Thanksgiving and your Family Thanksgiving.

Lin, do you ever just stay home? Just kidding, you are enjoying life and that is great!!

Anne, your Christmas sounds perfect. I am confused, how many grand kids do you have?

Jackie, YUK to the stepping in poo!! Been there and done that, mostly with goose droppings.
    Yes, I mentioned Christmas before Thanksgiving but with the weather so nice I am thinking of it, but still haven't done it! lol

Marcella, are you doing your Spring Cleaning early or just getting ready for the holidays?

Shirley, this year I am only buying one gift for Robby because he has so many toys it is unreal.
    With his mother's suggestion I bought him a Power Wheels Thomas the Train. I also buy a Hallmark ornament each year but unless I decide to buy an outfit I am done with his gift.

Hello to everyone, have a wonderful day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Sandy- I know what you mean about buying too many gifts for the grandkids. One of our stores, Carter's for kids, was closing at one of the malls so it was 40% off and I bought Isaac 2- pair of pants I haven't decided if i will just give them to Kathy or for Christmas since I said he was done with gifts.

Jackie - I am going for a massage in just a few minutes for my knee. It is doing much better and I went for a 40 min slow walk to get a feel how it was doing. I think I may have pulled some ligments too. My next yoga class I will be putting a tensor bandage on my knee for support.

I ordered a pair of pants on line but they don't fit, so I took it back to the store and they have a larger size
    in another store around the corner from where my diet clinic is tomorrow. Yes... back to the clinic to see what is next. Choir practice tonight then home to rest.

Shirley
  • linder4866
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Good evening, a bit of time before I join in a live cooking webinar. Since I paid for it, not going to miss this one.

Shirley, I hope your knee continues to improve.

Marcella, do you often re-arrange furniture? That really isn't much of a possibility in my house, it is too small to do anything different unless I get rid of furniture.

Sandy, a relatively slow day, good for you. I have an electronic card set to go to a friend with a birthday later this week. I do not have anything for her for a gift but likely will not see her for a while. Perhaps I will find something at the week-end craft show. If not, looks like it will be a gift certificate for her.

Chris, happy happy anniversary to you. That is wonderful. And my gosh, you are an extremely busy lady. Bless you for doing so much for others.

Anne the Grinch. Made me laugh. It is great you could all agree!!! I am happy to hear you will be floating around stress-free!!

Jackie, oh no. I hate getting ummmmm, stuff, stuck in the treads of my shoes. It seems they are never really clean!!! I hope that does not happen again!

I got the bill for the insurance on my older vehicle. I spent some time researching the trade in value of that vehicle and really did enter all the features and mileage etc. to get a reasonable Kelly Blue Book value. I had thought I might give up collision coverage on that vehicle but it still seems to be worth enough that I will keep it for now.

See, that is the type of stuff that eats up my time. Should just have looked at the bill, put it in the to be paid stack and moved on but the premium had gone up so I spent time thinking about how I might reduce it back to the prior level. Haaaa.

More texting with another friend this afternoon, a load of laundry (running out of clean socks), wrestled the last big disintegrating plant pot into my trash can (ready for next week already), got my Tai Chi/Qigong fan and ruler ready to take for tomorrow morning. Now I am trying to decide what I will take to coloring time (after Tai Chi). Maybe I will just see what's there.

Iowa State University extension has another of their monthly webinars tomorrow on an agricultural topic and plan to watch that. The two-hour tax webinar yesterday was pretty good and I downloaded some handouts. I was surprised we were able to listen in for free. There was a room full of people who paid for the seminar and you could hear then ask questions, applaud etc. I guess they got a big book of handouts whereas we got selected forms. Okay by me!

Oh, and I made my first trip to Costco to fill my car up. Wow!! Nice discount. Local price is $1.97.9 and I got mine for $171.9 today. Thank you Costco for switching to Visa!!!

Time to move along.

Have a lovely evening and/or a good night's sleep...

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Good morning! Surprise, surprise, the gardener knocked on my door yesterday and promised he would be here 9am this morning to work a couple of hours. I've had a nice walk on the moors while he has worked hard uncovering the pond and clearing a large area of flower bed while his lovely Spaniel/Labrador cross played with one of George's balls!! I am now encouraged yet again to do more myself but this afternoon I'm driving to the hospital in Plymouth to visit the neighbour I used to drop in to see because she was housebound. Her son tells me she is fed up and wants to come home which is understandable and because our weather is about to deteriorate I'll go today rather than gardening.

Lin ~ Those shoes went into a bucket of soapy water and had a good scrub.... took some time but in the end got every last bit of poo out of the tread. They now need a good coat of dubbin to protect them from the wet. You find so many interesting chats on the internet you must ask yourself sometimes how you managed before! LOL Yesterday I started to separate beeswax from honey and had to look on the internet to remind myself how to best approach it and discovered a great idea to pour the wax into a cleaned out milk carton then, when set I just tear the carton away. Common sense really but I was so impressed!

Shirley ~ Well I survived a more gentle yoga class last night and can feel the benefits today. We did a lot of stretches to help lower back pain so I did wonder if she had noticed me struggling at times when lying on my back. All my muscles were complaining when I got home and stood talking to my neighbour for 5 minutes but today, apart from a few complaints from my hips as we walked, all is good. Hopefully that massage has eased your knee but best to support it until you know it's definitely repaired itself.

Sandy ~ Good luck with the concentrated effort to lose a couple of pounds although from your photos you never look in the least bit overweight to me! Christmas always sneaks up on me which is why I did a double-take when I saw you were thinking of putting up decorations and this morning as I chatted to the gardener about a fuschia shrub that is still full of flowers it felt more like a September day so I know I'll be taken by surprise at the speed of Christmas' arrival!!

Anne ~ My family stopped the exchange of presents a few years ago much to my relief because much like your clan, we are all grown ups who don't really need anything! Of course there are a couple of items tucked in a cupboard for George and Scruff, purchased when I saw them rather than return later to find them sold out. You'll have a lovely time I'm sure and how nice that Mike will be there too.

I'm going to get myself an early lunch and then head for the big city! LOL My friend wants me to pick up a 5 fish roast from Lidl for her on the way home and I know once in that store I'll be tempted with all sorts of deli goodies!

Just remembered a funny story before I go. Last night Brady came through the catflap carrying a mouse and growling at George to stay away so I followed him into the kitchen, opened the door and pushed him out, mouse included. One minute later he came through the catflap again and back to the kitchen and this time I managed to take the soggy dead looking mouse away, wrapped it in a kitchen towel and because it was pouring outside didn't want to go to the dustbin so put it in an empty coleslaw container and closed the lid. This morning first thing I picked the container up to take it out to the dustbin and noticed little mouse sitting up, front legs tucked under his chin, asking to be let out so off I went in my dressing gown to find a safe place to drop him off... my good deed for the day!!

Jackie
  • gemfrire
    gemfrire Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For my mom & all of her wonderful friends...
  • gemfrire
    gemfrire Posts: 110 Member
    Options
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Well, I was out walking the Bean at 6:00am and in the dark, and then we went out for another long walk at 7:30am with Janice and Amy before the rain maybe starts. Poor Janice was very upset because the apartment she moved into 3 months ago is crawling with tiny red ants. She said they are in her toaster and in her kettle etc. She was so upset I decided to be prudent and not comment on all the protein she was enjoying! Anyone know how to get rid of tiny red ants, humanely if it's possible. I gave her my jar of cinnamon which is supposed to do the trick, but didn't!

JACKIE, what a lovely ending for the little mouse! Hope he's a wiser little mouse now and keeps away from kitty cats! All sorts of people are now telling me they have given up on Christmas gift giving, especially as their kiddies are grown up! Makes me enjoy the freedom from worrying what to give everyone even more with any traces of guilt now gone. Wonderful news that your gardener and his dog showed up.

I do believe I've worn our Jilly out. Must away with the duster because normally it's a battle of strength who gets to keep it, and she always wins. Very strong for such a wee thing.
    Anne
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    No time to read or post, but while DD is looking at my iPad video of the Celebration of Mike's
    Life, I'm just checking in to say it's wonderful having her here! Will check in tomorrow, so stay well y'all!
    <3 Buzz
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Jackie - Sounds like you're a hero. I'm sure that mouse was happy to be saved!

Chris - Happy Anniversary!

As to the questions about my furniture rearranging. Sometimes I just get in the mood for things to look different or I think of another arrangement that will work better. I removed a beautiful green chair from the sun room that had become a bit to faded by the sun and changed the sofas and side tables to off-set the change. It actually looks simpler, neater and oddly more welcoming now. In the office, I shuffled some furniture around so that I could fit some weight equipment into the room. As life changes, so does the house.

Our holidays are fairly simple. We have a small family. Several years ago, we made the decision to work at having a pleasant holiday season and not allow ourselves to become so stressed. It was a great decision.

Hearing all of these dog stories each day, I think I may need to start borrowing my neighbors dog to walk each day. It would probably be good for me and the dog. Who knows what adventures might await us?
    Wishing everyone a wonderful day,
    Marcella
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I cook me a sweet potato for my lunch.Now to tackle the wash. and work in the kitchen to get it back to my way.
    will post my lunch on the plant base topic with a picture
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) Babe called last night to say they will be going back to Mayo Clinic. The doctors here are not co operating with the doctor from Mayo. They said they couldn't do the MRI until next June for some reason. So Babe and his son will be going back for the MRI and another two tests as soon as they can make the arrangements. I was a little cranky with the idea because of the holidays and showed my annoyance. Babe said he didn't care about the holidays but did care about his health. I told him I did care about the holidays and if necessary Phil's wife will have to help with Daisy. Of course after we hung up I felt bad because I don't think they will get into Mayo that fast and even if they did, I can still go to Rob and Lisa's for Thanksgiving. I did apologize this morning and will just let it go.
    I did not put up lights yesterday but will today since it is going to be 60 today. I also have to go to the bank and then to bingo tonight.

Marie, it makes me happy that you are now back in your kitchen doing what you love best.
    Alice is your angel and I am so glad she is your daughter.

Marcella, I would love to rearrange my furniture but like Anne, there is only one way it fits.
    Christmas has always been difficult for me since my divorce from my first husband. We used to have Christmas Eve with both sides of the family and spent Christmas Day with our four kids so they could play with their toys from Santa. Once divorced things changed and it has never been the same for me.

Buzz, enjoy your time with your daughter. <3

Anne, aren't red ants dangerous as far as biting? She needs to call an exterminator to set off a bomb in her house to get rid of them. Just my opinion.

Alice, thank you and good morning to you as well.

Jackie, I am pretty sure I would have had a heart attack with your mouse story. I am terrified of mice and although I know they are afraid of me, I am so grateful I haven't seen a mouse in my house in years. I know it is a trophy from Brady but couldn't he find diamonds or gold or something? :p

Shirley, I think with your first grandchild you are allowed to give him as much as you want. They grow up so fast and I love spoiling them. I hope your knee heals and you have no pain in yoga.

Have a great day!!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    SANDY it's an apartment with the problem of phaorah ants. Janice says an exterminator was called in but nothing works. They can't locate the nest for a start. Janice is really stressed out with them and she's only lived there for 3 months.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Yikes, I would have to move, mice and insects are not my thing!
  • linder4866
    Options
    Jacean2016 wrote: »
    SANDY it's an apartment with the problem of phaorah ants. Janice says an exterminator was called in but nothing works. They can't locate the nest for a start. Janice is really stressed out with them and she's only lived there for 3 months.
    Anne.

I would need to leave....#hatebugs

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Good morning sneakers. Our weather is changing as the wind picks up and we have more rain showers. Our walk was a blast, literally, but we managed to get across the top moor without getting wet although I had dressed in all my waterproofs! Yesterday's trip to Plymouth to visit my neighbour in hospital turned out to be a wasted journey because having struggled through heavy traffic, lots of roadworks and a ward security system that didn't seem to want to let in visitors, I checked at the nurses' station to see which bed she was in only to be told she was sent home on Monday! Although delighted for her I was a little cross that her son hadn't phoned to say mum's home since I told him at the weekend I would visit her but as someone said, that's men for you!! LOL A 40 mile round trip, bridge toll, difficult parking all in dreadful weather just to turn round and come home but as I sat in yet another traffic jam watching ambulances trying to maneuver their way through to the hospital I told myself I should be grateful I was fit enough to drive even when at a standstill which made me laugh at myself for being a grump!!

Sandy ~ You did make me laugh at your BOMB response to Anne's request for a humane way to get rid of those ants!! I was thinking more towads a line of jam through the property and out the door although then realised that would probably bring more ants in than out!

Marcella ~ Many years ago I went through a phase of moving my furniture around lots of times and was told it was a sign I was really wanting to change things in my life so it might be your frustration at gaining a couple of pounds. Once you get back on track you may just put everything back where it was!! LOL

Shirley ~ If you can find it, would you mind posting a recipe you gave us a couple of years ago for oat breakfast biscuits? I think it was porridge oats, yogurt, honey and apricots but not sure! I had filed it but when I got rid of my desktop and moved documents on to a memory stick not everything seemed to transfer including that recipe and this time of year as the weather turns, they will be ideal as a stopgap between meals.

I must get on with some housework so will finish my coffee and disturb the cats with the vacuum cleaner!!

Jackie

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    On my way to the docter. check in later if i am not too tired.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Jackie- I will see if I still have that recipe. I have since tossed the books but I may have written out. I will check for you.

Lin - It amazes me how you get all the things done that you do in a day. I purchased some new colors for my coloring book which are NOT supposed to bleed through to the other side. I cannot take the pages out of my book because there is no perforation. So I hope to try them soon as I have been busy this week doing other things.

My knee is progressing, no inflammation but my knee still is sore at times and locks sometimes on me. I am going to the chiropractor tomorrow at 7:30 am for my apt. and if enough time I will try my yoga class but may ask her first what she thinks.

Yesterday was my diet clinic apt. which went well. I talked to my health educator and she said she would work with me on the book I am reading, Health in Every Size. My calories will be in the 1200-1300 range and I am printing out my diaries from here for her to look at. I saw the doctor, and he mentioned that my BP was up my last 2 visits so he wants a chart of my morning readings to see how I am doing before he suggests a change in medication.
    I found out he is a cardiologist. So things are humming along and my attitude has changed. LOL

After my apt. I went to a Mall to exchange a pair of pants I ordered online at Northern Reflections, just to get a different size and the exchange went well without any problems. Then I proceeded to go home but stopped in a store called Marks Work Warehouse to browse. I saw a pair of active pants I have been wanting and tried on a couple pairs and found one I liked so proceeded up to the counter. One sale clerk was dealing with a customer and looked frustrated, the other sales clerk, who was the manager, was on the phone looking through a binder. I waited patiently, waited and waited. The manager hung up the phone and proceeded to fold underwear in front of me.
    She never made eye contact with me at all. The other sales clerk was still with the same customer. Then another
    lady comes up with pajamas and asks the manager if she had any more in the back. The manager gets out from behind the counter and waits on her. It was like I was invisible. I took the pants slammed them on the counter and left.

Then I drove to our Mark's store in my town and told the sales clerk there what happened. She found me a pair of the same pants and said I will hold them for you, we are having a sale this weekend with 20% off. She gave me a number to call and complain which I did. My first time doing this ever! They took down all my information.
    Today I get a call from the manager of the store at the mall. She apologized all over the place, I was not backing down and gave her piece of my mind. She said she would give me 50% off the pants when I pick them up tomorrow. I told her I would never go to her store again, she said that was up to me.

Thanks for listening. Customer service is suffering at our Canadian stores and this was an example.

Shirley
  • linder4866
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Good evening

Jackie, you are quite tolerant. I would have been relatively UPSET with that situation. Time, traffic, and other associated craziness and she wasn't there!! Yipes. Such a waste for you.

Marie, I hope your doctor's appointment went well. Keep in touch whenever you can.

Anne, sorry your leaves have lost the crunchiness. There are many beautiful leaves left on the trees here. I was driving to the library this morning and was smiling at the vivid reds, the bright browns and all the rest including some wildlife-- a few fuzzy crazy squirrels. Nice morning.

Today was warm and wonderful. Any day in November that is warm is a good one. I removed my furniture from the deck so didn't sit outdoors. I did listen to a webinar when I got home. And then the pair of hiking boots I ordered arrived and I am wearing them now to try to decide if they are comfy enough to keep. I usually think, ok, I like these and then the next time I put them on they kill my feet. Haaaa.

I skipped the Jingle Bell drop event in our historical shopping district this evening because I thought the good weather would bring out too many people. I have heard from two friends who did try to attend and yes, it was crazy busy and people even parked on the sidewalks. For goodness sakes!!

Sandy, it is probably the best that Babe just finish the testing. I hope it will all work out amicably.

Buzz, I have my fingers crossed that you are resting a bit but it's more likely you are too busy to drop a line!!

Marcella, I am happy to hear your family has the holiday issue straightened out. So many families have conflicts this time of year.

Well, I am going to watch some TV and read a bit. I cancelled two of my subscriptions today. Made me feel good to do a few things to save money (so I will not feel as guilty when spending it elsewhere).

I put new batteries in my candles and it is nice to have them lit once again.

Hugs.

Take care and be well.

Lin