Duodenal ulcers and keto/LCHF

Options
2»

Replies

• sas1uk
    sas1uk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ooh I empathise!! I had years of gut problems including ulcers. I was on Omeprozole twice a day.The biggest change for me was giving up alcohol just over 12 months ago. I swear it was sulphides (?) in the ( copious amounts of) wine I was consuming!!!! :o I've since stopped taking the medication. Difficult to do but SO worth it!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt it's a food intolerance. I've never in my life had any problems with dairy (when following keto I ate a lot of dairy and was just peachy) or gluten.

You wouldn't necessarily have felt or noticed anything (like instant stomach aches, explosive diarrhea, green skin, etc.) with wheat or gluten, especially if it's only a problem in combination with another trigger....
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    sas1uk wrote: »
    Ooh I empathise!! I had years of gut problems including ulcers. I was on Omeprozole twice a day.The biggest change for me was giving up alcohol just over 12 months ago. I swear it was sulphides (?) in the ( copious amounts of) wine I was consuming!!!! :o I've since stopped taking the medication. Difficult to do but SO worth it!

Well I don't use alcohol - never have. Lol so sadly that's not a possible solution for me.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Okay I couldn't do it. It's 15:51 now and I had to take meds. I felt the burning start, and I didn't want to give it a chance to get so bad that I'm in agony for hours again. Also broke my keto day with yoghurt (sweetened, it's all I had).

I have a bunch of non-keto food in the house right now, I think I'll finish those, because I don't want to waste them - they'll last me about half a week more.

And then I'll continue on with Keto anyway. I guess it can't hurt, well, maybe the extra salt can. I don't know. :(

*kitten* I'm so sorry :( liquid Pepto-Dismal? That was my go-to back when....

I've got 16 days of medication left. I guess I'll finish it and hope for the best. Hope it's healed/better by then.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I highly doubt it's a food intolerance. I've never in my life had any problems with dairy (when following keto I ate a lot of dairy and was just peachy) or gluten.

You wouldn't necessarily have felt or noticed anything (like instant stomach aches, explosive diarrhea, green skin, etc.) with wheat or gluten, especially if it's only a problem in combination with another trigger....

I also didn't have problems with gluten til I was in my 40's... Or at least it wasn't bad enough for myself or my Nat. Doc. to figure that might be a problem for me.... you never know.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted here in a while, I've been ill. Diagnosed with a possible forming duodenal ulcer. I've been prescribed Ulsanic and Omez (40mg a day).

I'm wondering if anyone had their symptoms improve/ulcer healed on keto? Or LCHF (<50g net carbs a day or 70g total carbs a day).

If so, what foods did you generally stick to? And how often did you eat?

Have any of you even dealt with this? Lol I hope so. Because I can't stand it anymore. :cry:

LCHF ha's been awesome for all of my health issues with NO negative side effects in my case. I am heavily into coconut oil and keeping carbs under 50 grams daily. Best of success.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I was told at one point I most likely had a "pre-ulcer condition" b/c of a med I was taking that was hard on the stomach. I continued to have issues with acid reflux, stomach pain, nausea, etc., that did get better when I started eating keto. I'd been put on omeprazole and was able to stop taking it. I don't think it's fully cleared up but I was hearing negative things about long-term use of those medicines. I might try the coconut oil twice a day and cayenne.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I was told at one point I most likely had a "pre-ulcer condition" b/c of a med I was taking that was hard on the stomach. I continued to have issues with acid reflux, stomach pain, nausea, etc., that did get better when I started eating keto. I'd been put on omeprazole and was able to stop taking it. I don't think it's fully cleared up but I was hearing negative things about long-term use of those medicines. I might try the coconut oil twice a day and cayenne.

I've only been prescribed omeprazole for a month luckily. I'm hoping it's resolved by then.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

I've only been prescribed omeprazole for a month luckily. I'm hoping it's resolved by then.

Short-term therapy is exactly where the PPIs excel.

We'll all keep our fingers and eyes crossed for you! B)
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I was on omeprazole twice a day, too, until a few weeks into LCHF. I haven't needed it for a few months now.

Interestingly, the acid reflux reared its ugly head big time Friday after I overindulged in both alcohol and wheat (stuffing) on Thursday. I'm not sure which was the trigger. It has not diminished yet, and today it was to the point where I had to take omeprazole again. As I said in another thread, I learned a valuable lesson this Thanksgiving!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    I've heard recently that L-glutamine can help the gut heal.
    Bone broth as well (I believe it's the collagen in it.)