Anyone here follow a ketogenic diet?

Options

Replies

• Eternitii
    Eternitii Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Started this past Monday and am already seeing results! I definitely feel like this sustainable because there are so many options it's almost like you're barely limiting yourself add me and we win and lose at the same time
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm keto too. I try to stay at 20 net carbs or less each day.
  • melissaslewis351
    Options
    I've started Keto, 2 months in, lost 20#'s trying to stay under 20 net carbs although it's more difficult than I thought. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get closer to the 20 net carbs a day??
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Eating meat and fat as your primary source of food will keep you below 20 grams a day. Limit veggies (carbs add up quickly there!). Plus, you won't feel as hungry and control of choices (less desire for carbs) will be easier!

I was keto for about 20 months. Have recently added back some carbs (like oatmeal and beans) since I've been in maintenance for about 7 months. Is weird to be in the place where I don't have weight to lose! Wouldn't be here without keto and mfp!!

You all can do it too! Hang in there and Keto On!!
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Have recently added back some carbs (like oatmeal and beans) since I've been in maintenance for about 7 months. Keto On!!

Good job @Karlottap :smiley: I can't wait to get to a maintenance point...the ONLY thing I really miss while doing keto is refried beans!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Staying under 20 net or total is not essential to ketosis just an FYI. I did that for awhile and simply felt too restricted which resulted "slipping" for me. I've been keeping a food diary for close to 1300 days (with a few short intentional breaks) for weight loss and mostly maintenance-only 8 months have been keto/very low carb weight maintenance. I recently upped my carbs to 15% which equates to 57 grams and I've not come too close to eating that amount Total. If I look at net, it is considerably under the 57.

It's a "mental" thing for me. Too restricted and I struggle. If I "give myself some rope" I don't "hang myself" if my carbs come from vegetables/nuts/seeds/coconut/maybe raspberries. If I steer clear of sugary/floury/starchy/processed stuff, I'm fine meaning no cravings and carbs, low enough. For me this also means none of these "keto desserts" which do nothing but cause me to want more and over eat. I've had time to learn my triggers.

Of course @melissaslewis351, your mileage may vary but your profile indicates you've already lost 21 pounds. Excellent! You may want to experiment a little with a few more carbs and see how it goes if staying under 20 is a struggle. With a 21 pound loss while over 20...well there's an answer for you. What you're doing is working! If you're here for a health issue other than excess weight, you may need to ignore my suggestion.

A key to losing weight is finding what will work for you long term to keep it off.
  • melissaslewis351
    Options
    Thank you for the thoughts and encouragement. I'm trying to lose another 35 and I'll be where I want to be. I don't want that perfect body, just healthy. @kpk54 I also have a hard time with "Keto Desserts" leaves me craving too much.
  • gregpesot
    gregpesot Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    gonna look more into keto... big article in OUTSIDE magazine this month about the founder Noakes... I love low carb and it seems to be the only thing that works for me

Just can't see myself not eating and drinking some things??? Pizza? Beer? Bagels?
  • gregpesot
    gregpesot Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sorry... he actually follows the Banting method... similar but not exactly Keto
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Keto for me too. I have my macros set at 80% Fat, 15% Protein, 5% Carbs. My body responds better that way.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    [quote="gregpesot;38282414Just can't see myself not eating and drinking some things??? Pizza? Beer? Bagels?[/quote]

Wine is the only thing I cannot give up. I drink a couple of glasses of chianti every night. If I still lived in a sticks & bricks house with a garden tub...I could trade out the wine for a nightly soak, but I can't do that in the RV. When I drive to visit family who live in sticks & bricks with a garden tub, they always joke that "I drove xx miles/hours just to take a bath".
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    @vmchavira - as you can see, there are a lot of us who follow a keto WOE. Did you have any questions for the group?
  • josgall
    josgall Posts: 17 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Well, now that we're all in one spot... ummm ... since there's nothing better to do, I guess I'll hijack this thread... anyone want to chop to pieces my attempt at dropping into ketosis this week and tell me why I'm testing trace for ketosis all week and offer any suggestions? :smiley: Been been doing some light lifting at the gym so I've been trying to keep my protein up a bit without killing the keto. I tried to keep my protein at 1g/lb of lean body mass (or less) but I'm thinking it's still too high? Last time I was in ketosis was before my thanksgiving cheat time last week :-1:

sorry @vmchavira , but hopefully you can help tear me to pieces on my eating this week as well haha!

Public log
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    josgall wrote: »
    Well, now that we're all in one spot... ummm ... since there's nothing better to do, I guess I'll hijack this thread... anyone want to chop to pieces my attempt at dropping into ketosis this week and tell me why I'm testing trace for ketosis all week and offer any suggestions? :smiley: Been been doing some light lifting at the gym so I've been trying to keep my protein up a bit without killing the keto. I tried to keep my protein at 1g/lb of lean body mass (or less) but I'm thinking it's still too high? Last time I was in ketosis was before my thanksgiving cheat time last week :-1:

sorry @vmchavira , but hopefully you can help tear me to pieces on my eating this week as well haha!

Public log

Potentially??? Adaptation. Wasting fewer ketones. Fewer being turned into acetoacetate and more bhb. ??? Unless you're diabetic there's no reason to suspect protein.
    Otherwise... could be simple hydration levels.
    I have found that I can manipulate the results I get on pee sticks by drinking lots of water or the easiest way I was able to manipulate them to see lower results without actually eating carbs was drinking lots (about 64 ounces in about 4-5 hours) of coffee which resulted in emptying my bladder more often. Simple answer Is the sample tested was diluted. Not enough time went by to drop a lot of acetoacetate into my urine before my bladder was ready to empty.
    Otherwise, could be been associated with timing of testing. You release cortisol with exercise. Glucose will be released from the liver with stress (exercise) for a bit so it could've shown a lower result if close to exercise.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Just started Thursday. ......hoping low carb will help me lose 25 lbs. Thanks for letting me be apart of this group!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    anyone want to chop to pieces my attempt at dropping into ketosis this week and tell me why I'm testing trace for ketosis all week and offer any suggestions?

What are you using to test?
  • melissa1001calton
    Options
    I'm on week six of Keto, loving it so far! Especially now since my energy came back for my workouts.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Eating meat and fat as your primary source of food will keep you below 20 grams a day. Limit veggies (carbs add up quickly there!). Plus, you won't feel as hungry and control of choices (less desire for carbs) will be easier!

I was keto for about 20 months. Have recently added back some carbs (like oatmeal and beans) since I've been in maintenance for about 7 months. Is weird to be in the place where I don't have weight to lose! Wouldn't be here without keto and mfp!!

You all can do it too! Hang in there and Keto On!!

Congrats! <3

What's the verdict... was the Carb Reunion pretty easy on your system?
  • josgall
    josgall Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    anyone want to chop to pieces my attempt at dropping into ketosis this week and tell me why I'm testing trace for ketosis all week and offer any suggestions?

What are you using to test?

I was using the ketosis test pee strips they sell at the drug store , is there another way? I haven't been doing this long enough to know
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    kammy92 wrote: »
    Just started Thursday. ......hoping low carb will help me lose 25 lbs. Thanks for letting me be apart of this group!

Welcome! You will love this group!!! Feel free to add me as a friend.