How Much Self-control is Enough to Succeed?

arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
The answer: this much...

image23_zpse7f36321.jpeg

Mom and little one and I were out at Ingram Park Mall yesterday. After getting mom's phone fixed at the Apple store, we stopped to eat at a quaint little Chinese joint in the food court. That was great for them, but it wasn't my meal time. And as much experience as I have had missing meals just sitting right next to delicious food and family/friends chowing down on it, I'll admit this was a bit tough.

Now I could have rationalized in that situation in that I'm massing up and working to put muscle weight back on, but there is still such a thing as eating too much, even in the upper ranges of gaining weight, which is why the best way to keep everything in perspective for me is to remain on OMAD as I see it.

That said, it wasn't my meal time, and I really wanted to eat! But I only had five hours to go until the window opened. That didn't matter. The eating window wasn't open, so that means no eating! When you can sit down right next to some of the most alluring, calorie-dense food on the planet (Chinese food always falls into this category), and even when you're hungry, put it off until later, you know you've got what it takes to make it!

For the OMADer, there is a time to eat and time(s) not to eat, period. Sometimes this is easy and sometimes this is hard. Even when you are in a position to justify doing your own thing, you remind yourself that long-term success is defined by a solid, dependable (read: sustainable) regimen, not by following cravings. It is the chaotic instability in "trying" new eating routines and playing around with off-and-on crash diets that virtually guarantee weight loss failure.

My solution (pictured) is going back in line and scoring me a Diet Coke and a 2 + 1 General Tso's / Orange chicken combo, with yummy noodles and fried rice...for later! Yep, that was my meal - together with two granola bars and a cup of ice cream - when the window opened later in the day. At the time, that Diet Coke was good enough.

You feel better when you stick to your plan than when you break down and splurge (read: lose control) by eating out of step, and it's a much better good than the so-called "good" that comes from feeling full...a feeling that can be ruined by feelings of regret.

Replies

• ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    WOW!!!! Good for you!!! That is great self control!!!
  • vlland
    vlland Posts: 55 Member
    Great thinking- I'm sure taking the food home for later made skipping the mealtime less "sad". I think thats how I look at OMAD in a nut shell- I can still have the foods others eat -just not all day long.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    You had good self control because that food looks so good. What I like about this is you got your food for later which met your craving. You knew you could eat whatever your family ate but just not at the same time. A very good lesson for me. It will help whenever that happens to me and I know it will.
  • d_boo
    d_boo Posts: 15 Member
    This is a great reminder. Thanks for posting.
  • mbarnson
    mbarnson Posts: 14 Member
    Good tip. Will use: take it in a to-go box for my eating window!
  • willowbas
    willowbas Posts: 7 Member
    Okay. I have lunch out with a friend scheduled for 11:00 tomorrow. I will get a lunch, box it, and sip iced tea!!!! This was timely! Thanks!
  • etherial1
    etherial1 Posts: 22 Member
    Ingenious!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    The answer: this much...

image23_zpse7f36321.jpeg

Mom and little one and I were out at Ingram Park Mall yesterday. After getting mom's phone fixed at the Apple store, we stopped to eat at a quaint little Chinese joint in the food court. That was great for them, but it wasn't my meal time. And as much experience as I have had missing meals just sitting right next to delicious food and family/friends chowing down on it, I'll admit this was a bit tough.

Now I could have rationalized in that situation in that I'm massing up and working to put muscle weight back on, but there is still such a thing as eating too much, even in the upper ranges of gaining weight, which is why the best way to keep everything in perspective for me is to remain on OMAD as I see it.

That said, it wasn't my meal time, and I really wanted to eat! But I only had five hours to go until the window opened. That didn't matter. The eating window wasn't open, so that means no eating! When you can sit down right next to some of the most alluring, calorie-dense food on the planet (Chinese food always falls into this category), and even when you're hungry, put it off until later, you know you've got what it takes to make it!

For the OMADer, there is a time to eat and time(s) not to eat, period. Sometimes this is easy and sometimes this is hard. Even when you are in a position to justify doing your own thing, you remind yourself that long-term success is defined by a solid, dependable (read: sustainable) regimen, not by following cravings. It is the chaotic instability in "trying" new eating routines and playing around with off-and-on crash diets that virtually guarantee weight loss failure.

My solution (pictured) is going back in line and scoring me a Diet Coke and a 2 + 1 General Tso's / Orange chicken combo, with yummy noodles and fried rice...for later! Yep, that was my meal - together with two granola bars and a cup of ice cream - when the window opened later in the day. At the time, that Diet Coke was good enough.

You feel better when you stick to your plan than when you break down and splurge (read: lose control) by eating out of step, and it's a much better good than the so-called "good" that comes from feeling full...a feeling that can be ruined by feelings of regret.

I read this again today for motivation. You are amazing Joe and such an OMAD leader to all of us. Thank you!
  • Alicia09NYC
    Alicia09NYC Posts: 34 Member
    Today was my first day. I ate around 3.15 pm even though i had plan a window between 4-8 . I am going to try to delay it 1/2 hr every day so as to ge to the 6-10 pm.
    I feel its working And even went to the gym and were on the treadmill for 1/2 hr and did some crunches.
    I will weight next friday.
    Any suggestions anyone?
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Today was my first day. I ate around 3.15 pm even though i had plan a window between 4-8 . I am going to try to delay it 1/2 hr every day so as to ge to the 6-10 pm.
    I feel its working And even went to the gym and were on the treadmill for 1/2 hr and did some crunches.
    I will weight next friday.
    Any suggestions anyone?

That's great. Just go real easy with all exercise when fasting.
  • Alicia09NYC
    Alicia09NYC Posts: 34 Member
    Yes. I am experiencing that. Today i disnt make it pass 3.