Heavy Weight Lifting and Extra Calories?

Options
ryanb1385
ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
So I've been hitting the iron at the gym really hard this week and trying to stick to my calories, but I am feeling so hungry. Today has been especially hard as I am already over, but am sure will want to eat again before bed. I am eating on plan (my diary is open), but am worried about not eating enough to repair my muscles since I am so hungry, also worried about not stalling fat loss as well. What I'm a bit surprised are is that mfp doesn't add calories for lifting at all.

I've been doing full body weight routines every other day and running/sprints on my off days

Any thoughts/opinions/guidance would be much appreciated.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What is your TDEE, did you use an activity modifier, and what is your weekly deficit?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    ryanb1385 wrote: »
    So I've been hitting the iron at the gym really hard this week and trying to stick to my calories, but I am feeling so hungry. Today has been especially hard as I am already over, but am sure will want to eat again before bed. I am eating on plan (my diary is open), but am worried about not eating enough to repair my muscles since I am so hungry, also worried about not stalling fat loss as well. What I'm a bit surprised are is that mfp doesn't add calories for lifting at all.

I've been doing full body weight routines every other day and running/sprints on my off days

Any thoughts/opinions/guidance would be much appreciated.

Log your lifting as 'strength training' under cardio. The strength side is just for logging your reps and sets.

Be careful as it overestimates the burn a lot.
  • ryanb1385
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    What is your TDEE, did you use an activity modifier, and what is your weekly deficit?

TDEE = 2400 with 1.2 modifier, and trying to hit a 15% defict, which is 2040 a day, plus exercise. I'm usually with in a hundred Calories of my goal.
  • kirkor
    Options
    Ya, you could try 1.375 for your modifier. Keep an eye on your weekly rate of loss and you'll know if you need to drop it back down or not.

In theory a rate of 3/4lb/wk should be sustainable even with weight lifting. Your numbers might not go up a lot but you should at least be able to maintain strength. But everyone's a little bit different. Hydration and sleep are good?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Personal experience: keto is great when sedentary dieting, because it does wonders for controlling hunger. However, when any vigorous lifting regimen is out in place, it quickly loses that edge, and self-control becomes the determining factor.

When sedentary, I was eating 1400-1600/day at 180 down to 150, then maintenance of 1800 at 150, with zero hunger issues. As soon as I started lifting seven days per week, I was shoveling 2800/day average into my face, and was still hungry all the time. Had really good muscular gains, but picked up waaaay too much fat in the process.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have recently added a LOT of MTC to my diet for BG purposes (which has been effective). Basically, I have added 2 TB to each of 3 meals and a tsp to each of my 3 cups of coffee in the morning. I do lift 5 days a week in the morning. The MTC has replaced some of my other calories and really seems to have curbed my appetite significantly.

I am in maintenance at about 3200 calorie/day average, so perhaps you may want to lower amount of MTC proportionately. I also have about 1 g protein per lb of body weight on average which helps with not losing any muscle.

At 46 yo, I am not looking to bulk anymore, but I do like to be able to maintain much more muscle and lower bf % than nearly everyone at work above the age of 25, so the weight/strength training is a heavy focus for me.
  • kirkor
    Options
  • ryanb1385
    Options
    Ya, you could try 1.375 for your modifier. Keep an eye on your weekly rate of loss and you'll know if you need to drop it back down or not.

In theory a rate of 3/4lb/wk should be sustainable even with weight lifting. Your numbers might not go up a lot but you should at least be able to maintain strength. But everyone's a little bit different. Hydration and sleep are good?

No problems with sleep and water, I was laid off a few weeks ago and have been sleeping like 8-9 hours a night. I typically drink between 3-4 liters a day, so that not an issue. I try to bump the Calories up a couple hundred a day.
  • ryanb1385
    Options
    Personal experience: keto is great when sedentary dieting, because it does wonders for controlling hunger. However, when any vigorous lifting regimen is out in place, it quickly loses that edge, and self-control becomes the determining factor.

When sedentary, I was eating 1400-1600/day at 180 down to 150, then maintenance of 1800 at 150, with zero hunger issues. As soon as I started lifting seven days per week, I was shoveling 2800/day average into my face, and was still hungry all the time. Had really good muscular gains, but picked up waaaay too much fat in the process.

Yeah, I did a fasted lift and cardio session yesterday, then came home and ate about 1800 cals and I was still hungry. I was able to not eat last night, but it was more self discipline than not being hungry. I can see what you're saying about shoving food to my face. If I wasn't tracking, I would have over shot by a lot.

I should pick up MCT, add it to my coffee, and try to shoot for a higher fat number or I might just need to be more aware of the upper limit for each day, and try start cycling high cal/low calevel days around lifting days
  • ryanb1385
    Options
    The not working might be a factor as well --- I do intermittent fasting, and on my off days when I'm just hanging out around the house I'm definitely a lot hungrier than when I'm at work and actively engaged in projects.

Might be the boredom factor paired with the lack of productivity. I've been IF for a while now, but never with so much down time.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The not working might be a factor as well --- I do intermittent fasting, and on my off days when I'm just hanging out around the house I'm definitely a lot hungrier than when I'm at work and actively engaged in projects.

Might be the boredom factor paired with the lack of productivity. I've been IF for a while now, but never with so much down time.

Staying busy is HUGE for me. I will feel like eating (not sure it is real hunger) if my mind and/or body is not adequately occupied.

In addition, stress will often lead to eating as well as to increased cortisol which increases insulin which leads to fat retention, so being laid off could be playing a factor.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Staying busy is HUGE for me. I will feel like eating (not sure it is real hunger) if my mind and/or body is not adequately occupied.

In addition, stress will often lead to eating as well as to increased cortisol which increases insulin which leads to fat retention, so being laid off could be playing a factor.

I'll second the busy thing. It doesn't even have to be truly "busy" in the normal sense either. What I've done is made it part of my nightly routine to read old blog posts from Jim Wendler, Paul Carter, and Jamie Lewis on my phone, while pacing back and forth in my apartment for a couple of hours a night, instead of just sitting on my *kitten*. Helps keep the TDEE up a bit, gives some extra strength training insight, and keeps me from thinking about food.