Runner Questions

Options
How long/fast and often do you run? Have you set and met your goal? And what was your calorie intake during? I'm working my way up to running 4-5x's a day, and have been doing really well, I have hit a rut and haven't lost weight for two weeks though?!

Replies

• draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I run 4 days a week. Im building to a half marathon. Sundays Im at 10 miles now. Tuesdays I do 2. Wednesdays I run 2 @ lunch and 5-7 in the evening. Fridays I do 2 at lunch and 7-9 in the evenings. I cross train Mondays and Thursdays and do chores on Saturday (rest day). I eat anywhere from 1600-2000 calories a day, even on rest days. I havent lost any weight running (but I weigh 135 pounds at 5'6 so not much to lose) but I have lost 2 pant sizes and fit into clothes I never thought I could. I also have visible abs now which I never ever did before.

I cant help you much on the losing weight with running, but tons of people on here have. But maybe look at measurements or how your clothes fit for improvements.

Are you in a running rut (like increasing mileage difficulty or lack of motivation) or just the weight loss rut? Do you take rest days? Do you cross train? Do you lift (or lift heavy)? Maybe switching things up for a week, or adding in some lifting will help. I saw significant changes in my shape when I started doing body weight exercises.

Hope that helps!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I run between four and seven miles, three times per week. One of those runs will be a route where there are a few inclines.

I did running as my exercise throughout my weightloss and was on 1200 calories per day, I did not eat back my exercise calories.

I am at goal now and am on 1580 calories per day and eat back exercise calories.

If I find I put two or three pounds back on (which does happen), I just revert back to 1200 calories for a few days.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    How long/fast and often do you run?

I follow the Run Less Run Faster Plan. When training, I only run 3x per week, and bike 2 minimum days per week. One run is intervals, one run is tempo run at race pace, one run is long slow distance training run.

Have you set and met your goal?

I am training for my second full marathon. I ran my first with injuries, so my goal is to run injury free. So far so good - I'm 7 weeks out. I had a minor "bump" in the road and took to some intense alternative cross training for 3 weeks, but am back on track now.

And what was your calorie intake during?
    My calories are minimal. I eat when hungry, and don't over eat and am careful of what I eat. I never worry about the minimum calories or eating calories back. I've been doing this for over a year now and it works for me. I have other health issues which effect my metabolism, so one size fits all doesn't work for me. I'm at my goal weight most of the time but bounce 5 lbs up or down depending on the day of the week. I would highly recommend the book Racing Weight if you are trying to run or train for a race an lose weight at the same time.
  • determined136
    Options
    I run 6 days a week. Friday is my rest day. I work full time so I usually run in the late evenings and early in the morning on Saturday and Sunday. I have used the Hal Higgdon training plan and it really works for me. Right now I am training for a half marathon.

I eat 1340 calories everyday...or as close to it as possible. If I am hungry I have a little something if not I don't. I am down 51 pounds right now...with hopefully another 29 to go. On the days I feel like I could go forever I do. I try to push myself. I change my route and work on my pacing. I think that most important thing is that you listen to your body, it is an amazing machine that can do more than you imagine...but you have to build up to it.

Best of luck!!!! You can do it one step at a time!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I normally run between 60 and 80 miles a week and take about one day off each month. Most weeks I run twice a day for 5 days and once a day on the other two. Right now I am maintaining weight and normally eat between 3000 and 3500 calories per day. When I was loosing I was eating around 500 calories per day less.

When I was loosing I periodically plateaued for a few weeks before the weight would fall again. If its only been two weeks, and you are not gaining, I would give it another week or two to see what happens. If it doesn't drop by then consider dropping your daily calories by another 250 or so. Don't drop them too much though or your running will suffer greatly.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I run 4-5 days\week. Tues - 5, Thurs - 6, Wed - 3, Friday - 4 and Sunday - 8. I add a mile each Sunday. My nest half is in December. It will be my third.

I am not at my goal weight, which is why I upped my running days and I am doing 30DS. I rarely eat my calories back, but I rarely hit my calorie target. I know that is a problem....
  • pamtram
    pamtram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I run three times a week. Twice I do a 10km run and then in the weekend try for a bit longer.

I am about to start 1/2 marathon training in a couple of weeks so may need to increase the distances
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    3x per week for half an hour. Depending upon how fast I go it's either 3.1 or 3.5 miles

I do need to try and incorporate a longer run in there possibly on the weekends.
  • bigtone34
    bigtone34 Posts: 136
    Options
    I run Tues, Wed Fri, and Sunday. Between 5-7 Miles per run except for my long on Sunday. That is between 10-18 Miles. I have maintained my weight since April will about 2000-2500 calories/day with some extra on my run days..
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started running in June using c25k. Now I run about three times a week 3-5 miles each. I have not lost as much weight running as I was before. I'm ok with this though. My body is changing shape! My goal is to run a marathon before I'm 25, this weekend will be my first 5k. I also am very active outside of running with team sports and things like 30DS. I eat a lot. Usually between 1500 and 2500 calories. Feel free to add me for support, I'm pretty active with my friends on here.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I run 5kms every second day (I'll go biking or do Shred it With Weights on days I don't run). I typically eat around 1400-1500 calories per day and don't eat back my exercise calories.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I try to average 30 miles a week with 5-6 days of running, however for me I think that has been a bit too much. I just read a Marathon book and come the first full week of September I am going to fllow the intermediate 1/2 marathon plan. I can already make the distance but have been beating myself up without a plan. I think it will go well.

speed.. 3 miles I can run 8:45 minute miles
    6 miles I can run 9:51 minute miles
    10 miles I can run 10:38 minute miles.

My goal is to run a 1/2 in 2 hours... but am reconsidering and would be happy with 2:20
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I run 3 days a week, lift weights/cross train 2 days a week, and swim once a week. Or I try too ;)

I do one regular paced run of 4-6 miles; one run with intervals/speedwork 5 miles; and on long slow run of at least 10 miles

I'm maintaining and net about 1200 calories a day (thyroid issues) but I'm at goal and I'm not hungry so it works for me :)
  • leenabeana1
    Options
    Well I just upped my workouts Monday, I haven't ran very long and just ran my first 4 miles without stopping! But I walk 3.5-4 mph 4-5 miles and run 3 miles 3 days a week and 2 days a week I just walk to give my legs a rest because I have shin splints that will flare up if I run everyday, I will add running Saturdays now until I see a lose. My inches have also stayed the same and I'm only eating 1200 calories and its all the same foods I eat to lose the first 20lbs. Hopefully adding the extra miles will help. Before I was walking 5 days a week and running 1-2 miles, 2-3x's a wk. So I'm burning as of this week another 1,000 calories than before.
  • 4kkzv
    4kkzv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If no 5k race on sat I do long run on Sundays. Up to 6.6 now. And kids in school, youngest preschool tues/thurs next to a greenway. I plan to run a few miles each of those. Today was 4.8. Thurs I hope to do intervals with faster segments thrown in.