Hypothyroid

Options
Hi,
I just found out I have hypothyroidism, low t4 and normal tsh. I started levothyroxine today. Does anyone have hypothyroidism? I feel extremely lost and looking for advice on all of this. I appreciate your response.

Replies

• Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I recommend u check out

Stopthethyriodmadness website. There is a tonnof info there. I started on synthyriod and switched to Armour. Hang n there!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The one thing I commonly find with hypothyroidism is that no two patients - even with very similar panel results - respond exactly the same to identical treatments.

Levothyroxine (Synthroid and other brand-names) is the standard treatment to start with, but for some people it just doesn't work. Keep in mind you may need to test levels and treat for T3 as well.

My advice is work closely with your doctor to determine what treatment works BEST for you. You need to give feedback, and he/she needs to be able to present options. It's not easy to find the best solution for each individual for hypothyroidism - but if both you and your GP work on this together, you can make some good progress on the issues.

Good luck!
  • mayabrooks025
    mayabrooks025 Posts: 37 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thank you both for your response. I will check out stop the thyroid madness and also talk to my doctor about checking my T3. Thank you again so much!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @mayabrooks025

Maria Emmerich of mariamindbodyhealth.com has some good information as well. For me, adding medications alone was not enough. I had to add supplements and eat a more nutrient rich diet in order to start to feel better.

One of the things alone that hypothyroidism does is affect the level of stomach acid produced, which on top of all the normal thyroid stuff makes you have a harder time digesting food and breaking down nutrients to absorb them, which creates a cascading failure in the body.

Additionally, thyroid issues and adrenal issues are kissing cousins, and where you find one, you often find the other, even if you have to dig. Without addressing all ongoing issues, you won't make good progress in any particular category.

My personal suggestion is to read all you can. In fact, I learned just today about some additional more old school therapies I might test drive to see if I like them.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have been officially diagnosed with hypo as of this past year. Suspected for over 13 years previously. I had every symptom for those13 years, but the docs only ever tested tsh. Finally had a worsening of symptoms last year accompanied by very low blood pressure drops and had a nurse practitioner run a full thyroid panel. My tsh was "only" a 6, but free t4 was at the very bottom of the range and free t3 was lower than range. She still likes to only observe tsh but the frees were very telling to me. As free t3 is the active form of the hormone and every cell in your body has thyroid hormone receptors, it is no wonder I was in such complete system survival mode.

I asked her to start me on dessicated thyroid instead of synthetics. She began with 1/4 of the reccomended starting dose and now I am up to 1.5 grains daily. I have seen many improvements so far! No more passing out, I can walk without looking like I have had a stroke(my body was so tired), I have been building up to workouts again and do so about 3-4 times a week where before I would be trashed for 4-5 days after any exertion. And it is helping the more "minor" symptoms as well. New hair growth, less constipation, warmer, able to recall conversations and details. I feel like my age now instead of someone just attempting to survive.

It is a long road, I am told sometimes it takes work in finding dosages and meds for each individual. Do lots of reading, ask lots of questions, and insist that you are a person and not a number on a lab. I keep reminding my nurse practitioner of this, if they treat other disorders based solely on symptoms, they should work with us and treat the symptoms before the lab numbers too!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Also, optimal range of TSH for most folks is 0.5-1.5. Anything over 2.0 in a verified hypothyroid patient (not Hashimoto's or any other specialty type) is considered to by time to increase medication. Free, Total, and Reverse T4 & T3 numbers, are also major indicators.
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    I appreciate your response so much! I felt so alone and desperately searching online for Information. I appreciate everyone's response and will request more tests. My t3 was not tested only my TSH and t4. Can we please stay in touch. I appreciate you!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    It took over 2 years with my current endocrinologist - whom I actually like a great deal - both his personality and his professional capacity - before I was able to get my T3 numbers tested, so it isn't a surprise. Personally, I would look to getting a metabolic endocrinologist or functional medicine doctor who handles thyroid, as the majority of thyroid treatments are considered unconventional. You really need someone to look at the big picture, not just this small corner of the puzzle of overall health, if you can afford it. There is a thread, and I'll go look for the link, that has a list of good doctors on it.
  • Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you are taking levothyroxine (or synthroid) don't have coffe within 1 hour of taking it or supplements within 4 hours (particularly calcium) as it will decrease absorption. If you are taking biotin, stop it a few days before a TSH draw as it will affect the results. Also, some people find they do better on synthroid or other name brand rather then generic as the fillers in the pills can affect absorption. Best wishes on finding what works for you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'm hypothyroid. Probably Hashis since I have a few autoimmune issues.

I agree that reading widely helps. I found Stop the Thyroid Madness to be one of the most useful reads. I was one of those people for whom Synthroid did not help much. PLus I had a doctor that just went by TSH, and since our TSH "normal" range went up to 4.5, that wasn't very helpful. LOL

I gave Synthroid almost a year and switched to natural desiccated thyroid. It really made a difference for me. I recently upped my dose to 180mcg of NDT. It's amazing what a difference having the right dose makes on your energy levels! You'll probably know when you are getting close or have the right meds. T4, T4+T3, or NDT. Whatever works for you. :)

For tests, I would go with free T4, free T3 and TSH. I've read the frees should be in the 50-75% range of the normal range. For me it is true. If I am in the bottom of normal, I can really feel it. The same goes with being a bit too high - it feels really wrong.

TSH should be near a 1 unless you take T3 or NDT. My TSH is at 0.1 or lower but my frees are pretty perfect so I feel good.
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    Thank you again everyone for responding I'm getting such good information on here. You all are the best.

Question: I read a list of foods to avoid if you have hypothyroidism. I was really disappointed, no broccoli or cauliflower. Do anyone follow a special diet?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The problem with broccoli or cauliflower I think is that they can block some hormone from being absorbed. I am sure someone knows a bit more about this as we have some very educated people here. This is only a problem if the veggies are raw and only if eaten in huge quantities. I cook mine mostly, but a handful of raw ones to munch with dip are something I enjoy and don't worry about.
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    Thank you so much! I always cook mine so hopefully I can still have it but if I need to cut them out then I will.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone at all! I understand that feeling though. I have hypothyroidism that I control with Levothyroxine. I got lucky and the first drug I tried worked. I just make sure to take it as early as I can in the morning so there's a good bit of time between it and my first cup of coffee. I don't avoid any foods, but I also don't eat broccoli and cauliflower more than one or two times a week.

Good luck to you!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just found out I have hypothyroidism, low t4 and normal tsh. I started levothyroxine today. Does anyone have hypothyroidism? I feel extremely lost and looking for advice on all of this. I appreciate your response.

I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism (a little over a year). In my experience the hype over hypothyroidsm is vastly overrated.

Do make sure, as others have noted, that your doc is testing your thyroid hormone levels directly: T4, T3, and rT3. TSH is less directly useful, but provides some information. Your TSH, T4, and T3 can be absolutely normal, but if your rT3 is too high you may feel like crud. My doctor calls T3 the happy hormone, and rT3 the sad hormone.

If your rT3 level is too high, your thyroid is not working to convert the T4 (levothyroxine, as a synthetic hormone) into T3 properly, and you may need to add T3 directly (Liothyronine, as a synthetic hormone). I take 75 mcg of levothyroxine and 5 mcg of liothyronine - that seems to be about right, but the blood test I had done this morning will decide if it needs to be adjusted.

As for impact on weight loss - it has had zero impact on mine. I've just lost ~73 lbs (a bit under a year). About the same rate of weight loss as prior efforts at weight loss (aside from the 3 month pause during cancer treatment). I've been maintaining now for ~2 months.

I don't follow a special diet - and have not had any trouble getting my thyroid numbers in teh appropriate range. I have seen suggestions that keto and hypothyroidism have some incompatibility problems - but haven't had time to run it to the ground. My primary focus was to get my diabetes under control (simultaneous dagnosis), then to shift to researching what I need to know about Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Cancer interrupted that - but I'm almost at the point where I can pick that research up. (Fingers crossed for my appointment tomorrow, in part to review symptoms in the other breast. :( )
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I just had my TSH done- it came back 2.34. My doc says it's a very reliable test and that this is a normal result, no need to check any further.
    Thoughts?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Patti2008 wrote: »
    Some people find they do better on synthroid or other name brand rather then generic as the fillers in the pills can affect absorption.

Is there anywhere one can turn to learn about these shadowy fillers?

(For example, do the manufacturers use the same fillers from one med to another? Does the FDA monitor these "inactive ingredients" in any meaningful way ?)

Thanks for any insights!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @ChoiceNotChance - my doctor, as well as all the functional doctors I've been listening to lately all say OPTIMAL range for TSH is 0.5-1.5. If you feel AWESOME at 2.34, it may be okay for you, but if not, I would test further.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Patti2008 wrote: »
    Some people find they do better on synthroid or other name brand rather then generic as the fillers in the pills can affect absorption.

Is there anywhere one can turn to learn about these shadowy fillers?

(For example, do the manufacturers use the same fillers from one med to another? Does the FDA monitor these "inactive ingredients" in any meaningful way ?)

Thanks for any insights!

Not that I've discovered. Just like I can tell you in the various doses of levo, the pills change color. I've gone from 75 to 88 to 100 to 112 mcg, and the current one is a reddish color, which I'm sure has Red #40, which is a mortal enemy of my gut, but I don't know any other way around it. @RalfLott - I figured if anyone would know about Brands versus generics, it'd be you, given your extensive experience with Metformin/Glucophage.

My understanding is that the inactive ingredients aren't tracked anywhere specific, and it varies WILDLY from manufacturer to manufacturer. In fact, if you get a refill, you might have to ask your pharmacy specifically to keep the same generic manufacturer. Otherwise they use whatever the system autoprompts.