Re-commitment/hunger

Options
Warhawk79
Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
I had RNY in Feb. 2013. I have been really successful but lately gained some weight back. I eat small amounts but get hungry between meals. Any tips to keep from eating between meals? I got off track when I developed hypoglycemia..meaning if I don't eat often my blood sugar drops.

Looking forward to reconnecting with you all!

Replies

• Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome back! Have you tried protein shakes in between meals? I'm getting back on track myself and I'm doing 3 protein shakes a day, a yogurt for snack and a protein meal for dinner, and if needed a 4th protein shake at night to curb cravings.. I'm trying to follow a BACK ON TRACK menu from Bariatric Eating.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    What type of foods are you eating? If it's higher carb foods you can set up a hunger rollercoaster that's hard to get off of. Making protein your primary food choice, and limiting carbs will help you feel full longer, and give you control over food choices.

Best of luck with getting back on track!
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too am getting back on track. This year has seen 20 additional pounds. I am recommit ting use the 5 day pouch test. 5dpt. I FIGURED THIS WILL HELP BREAK THE CARB CYCLE.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I also was going to recommend what @Stephaniev51697 suggested and look at the Bariatric Eating website. She offers great suggestions as well as stories from people who have had some regain and lost it. Good luck!
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Warhawk79 wrote: »
    I had RNY in Feb. 2013. I have been really successful but lately gained some weight back. I eat small amounts but get hungry between meals. Any tips to keep from eating between meals? I got off track when I developed hypoglycemia..meaning if I don't eat often my blood sugar drops.

Looking forward to reconnecting with you all!

Im.so glad I came across this post, im going through the same thing. Just out of the blue I started getting hypoglycemic..never have I had an issue like this. And yes I had to start eating small snacks so I dont pass out. Im scheduled to see my Dr over this but I would love to know if the hypoglycemic thing is common with wls? I never heard anything about it while I was preparing for wls. And yes I would love to know how to get through the"snacking" problem
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    I also was going to recommend what @Stephaniev51697 suggested and look at the Bariatric Eating website. She offers great suggestions as well as stories from people who have had some regain and lost it. Good luck!

Where do I find the Bariatric Eating website
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »

Where do I find the Bariatric Eating website

http://www.bariatriceating.com/2016/01/2016-back-track-aboard-leaving/

I had rny in may 2012, lost 135 lbs from 290 to my goal of 165 and gain back 65 lbs in the last 2 years!
    I'm not using the BOT inspire products, but I'm 'resetting' my pouch by doing 5 days of almost all liquids (protein shakes, fast free greek yogurt smoothies, sugar free jello and pudding, and chicken broth when I need something salty). I say almost all liquids bc I have allowed myself a handful of pickled mushrooms and bought some crab sticks for when I am tempted to eat something solid. I want to get back to prepping meals the evening before once this week is over, so I've gone ahead and saved a few recipes I've found online to begin tossing into the recipe builder on here to plan what meals will give me my desired macros for the days next week.
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone!
    I too am back due to regain over the holiday season. I am 15 pounds up in little over a month. My RNY was done in May 2015 @ 315lb. My lowest was 182lbs.
    I am back to focusing on protein, over the last couple months my carb/sugar intake has grown. I found myself snacking on chocolate over Christmas, and finding that I craved it everyday. Also, drinking alcohol was causing my heart to race out of control.
    Relearning what I am eating each day, keeping away from alcohol and carbs, and discovering the protein amounts have not been as high as thought.
    Nothing more to contribute but to say "Hey" I am all in with the group.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @JudiMoving2 Welcome back!! Have you looked
    At some of the back on track plans? A lot of people go to www.bariatriceating.com and look at their back on track and no regain plans. I also love the protein powder they sell. Just something to consider
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started doing a liquid protein shakes only diet Monday like what you do right after surgery. I'm down 8 lbs, not craving carbs, and hoping it'll help me 'feel' full after small portions again
  • Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I wish mfp would tell me when someone responds. I just saw these. Yes, I do have reactive hypoglycemia. I try to remain protein heavy. Last year I had to lower my protein because it was causing my liver enzymes to increase and the low carb was causing other issues. I have tried to balance out everything. WLS is a great tool but can lead to other issues.
  • georgiegirlma72
    georgiegirlma72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome back! Have you tried protein shakes in between meals? I'm getting back on track myself and I'm doing 3 protein shakes a day, a yogurt for snack and a protein meal for dinner, and if needed a 4th protein shake at night to curb cravings.. I'm trying to follow a BACK ON TRACK menu from Bariatric Eating.

I tried back on track for 2 days and just couldn't do it! I saw a new nutritionist last night and she did testing (can't remember the name of the machine) and said my BMR is 1500 calories and that I am probably not losing because I am not eating ENOUGH calories. Hard for my former obese self to comprehend but I will try it for a week or two and see what happens. She also said to even out my protein throughout the day to curb night time cravings. 30/30/30.

• Stephaniev51697
    Options
    @georgiegirlma72 - I lasted almost a week with the Back on Track, I was starving.. I'm now doing the BE Easy, their recipes are really good :) and incorporating 2 shakes a day. I need to go back to my nutrionist for that test, the last time I had it, my BMR was like 900 and something calories and I was eating around 700. I'm still only eating around 900 calories now and I'll be 3 yrs out on March 4th.. I still have between 8-10 lbs of regain to lose, I keep fluctuating.. I dont have night time cravings but I do know that one of my problems is that I need to be more active...
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @Stephaniev51697 you are 3 years out and still only doing 900 calories? By choice or you physically can't eat more?
  • Stephaniev51697
    Options
    Robin628 wrote: »
    @Stephaniev51697 you are 3 years out and still only doing 900 calories? By choice or you physically can't eat more?

I physically cannot eat more than that. I get uncomfortably full and then feel sluggish. There have been a few times that I've eaten more than that, and I wake up in the middle of the night choking on bile.. I talked to my surgeon about it, and she said the bile thing was common when you over eat, or eat too late. Though she does want me at 1200 calories..
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit jealous. I'm almost 14 months out and I struggle to keep below 1300. I am hungry all the time! By 4 months out I stalled if I ate less than 900 and needed to increase to 1100 in order to lose weight.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Options
    oh, I'm totally hungry, all the time! I eat like 6 times a day but never really more than 900-950 calories.. 2 of my meals for the most part are protein shakes with decaf coffee. That could be why I'm stalled, that I'm not eating enough on top of not really being consistent with exercising..
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    For what it's worth I am 9 1/2 mos post bypass and I give myself 1200/day. Some days I stay within my limit, other days I blow it out of the water and on some occasions I am significantly under. Am finding lately that I am not usually hungry for dinner but when I come home I pick on stuff, and not usually the greatest choices some days. I tend to do better when I have a shake and a hard boiled egg for breakfast for some reason...right now my house is turned upside down with a move to a new house pending and tons of stuff in boxes....and I am stressed from not selling my house yet (on the market 3 weeks and we close on the new house in 3 weeks), so I have been finding I am stress eating which I know is not good and I need to find some other way to cope...