What was I thinking?!

Options
birdtobe
birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
So I was cleaning out my office today (new year, new me!) and came across a folder from when I was visiting a nutritionist two years ago. She had me eating 1410 calories a day, which I logged through MFP. I was totally faithful to my calorie count, but, in looking at the printed log, I see that I was consuming INSANE amounts of carbs and sugars. Like 200 g of carbs a day and sometimes 125 grams of sugar!! Yes, I stayed within my calorie limit, but I can't believe she didn't advise me to cut back on sugar and carbs. No wonder my progress was non-existent! It's really shocking.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too. Tried to be a good patient and follow a LF-whole foods diet. Worked great for some folks, but I emerged with T2D and CVD. Oops. :s

For all I know, I have the bubonic plague gene that's activated by inadequate carb consumption.... But them's dice I'm willing to roll.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Low fat, high carb diet is still being embraced by many, and there are, sadly, way too many folks in the fat is bad for you camp who buy into the lipid hypothesis, which was disproved in mid-2015
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing low fat dieting talk on my FB feed this week. One young girl (23 and obese) I know proclaimed her commitment to getting healthy. Listing the low fat, sugar laden yogurt, turkey wrap, baked chips and sugar free pudding that had made up her day at that point with total confidence. Talking about how she should find time to go for a walk to distract from wanting a second pudding cup.
    I shared my experience being able to eat great food, not be hungry or having cravings and didn't have to workout and the comment has gone ignored. Except by one mutual friend that I've already converted :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing low fat dieting talk on my FB feed this week. One young girl (23 and obese) I know proclaimed her commitment to getting healthy. Listing the low fat, sugar laden yogurt, turkey wrap, baked chips and sugar free pudding that had made up her day at that point with total confidence. Talking about how she should find time to go for a walk to distract from wanting a second pudding cup.
    I shared my experience being able to eat great food, not be hungry or having cravings and didn't have to workout and the comment has gone ignored. Except by one mutual friend that I've already converted :)

My boss is also on the low calorie/low fat wagon this week. I came in from lunch with an iced coffee with cream and a bunless baconator. She expressed fear that she'd eat the 700 calorie burger and then go home and carb out...thus ending up high fat and high carb. It's hard coming from a low calorie mindset to imagine a 700 calorie lunch I supposed! lol

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »

My boss is also on the low calorie/low fat wagon this week. I came in from lunch with an iced coffee with cream and a bunless baconator. She expressed fear that she'd eat the 700 calorie burger and then go home and carb out...thus ending up high fat and high carb. It's hard coming from a low calorie mindset to imagine a 700 calorie lunch I supposed! lol

That's true. That statement makes me think that she's so hungry when she gets home that she works to not overeat but she probably is comfortable that she has more calories at dinner maybe because of the low calorie lunch. So she automatically thinks she will have the same hunger after a meal like yours and then have no calories for dinner, and therefore be starving. Lol
    I never really dieted so much in the past. Not to the degree that I ever tracked calories. If I had used MFP back in the days of 'just eat less' I would've always been trying to figure out how to arrange the calories in each meal trying to make it to the next meal as if 30 more at lunch would make such a huge difference or something. It would've been crazy.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

Which is why I love IF. Two 700 calorie meals??? Don't mind if I do!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

It kills me when I see these kinds of numbers. When I IF (about half the time now), it is 1400-1600 calories for lunch, 200-400 cal snack then 1200-1500 call dinner. The thought of having 1400 calories for a whole day makes me think I might as well have made it a full day fast.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I remember doing weightwatcgers and working out which chocolate bars were the lowest in points (crunchies, galaxy ripples) and that I could get a KFC mini fillet burger and small fries for 11 points - so basically eating rubbish, but it's ok as I was within my points - never lost more then a few ooonds and then all back on plus a bit more!
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

It kills me when I see these kinds of numbers. When I IF (about half the time now), it is 1400-1600 calories for lunch, 200-400 cal snack then 1200-1500 call dinner. The thought of having 1400 calories for a whole day makes me think I might as well have made it a full day fast.

Lucky you! 5 foot 3 inches doesn't allow me much in the way of total daily calories... boo.

• missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    I remember doing weightwatcgers and working out which chocolate bars were the lowest in points (crunchies, galaxy ripples) and that I could get a KFC mini fillet burger and small fries for 11 points - so basically eating rubbish, but it's ok as I was within my points - never lost more then a few ooonds and then all back on plus a bit more!

I did this too! A small McDonalds burger and small ff was 11 points. I only got 18 per day, so it was a splurge. I lost 40 pounds on WW, so I can't complain too much I guess, but I was so hungry all the time. That was almost 10 years ago. Now I am 9 pounds heavier and loving LCHF. I can't see myself doing WW again. I'm working on tracking with this woe now to fine tune my daily calories.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds on Weight Watchers but never had the freedom from hunger that I've already experienced with less than 1 month of this WOE. I worked really hard at finding high volume low point foods to fill up my day to keep me happy, but it wasn't sustainable. I kept most of the weight off, but those pounds just creep up on you....
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Lucky you! 5 foot 3 inches doesn't allow me much in the way of total daily calories... boo.

This is not all positive. My food bill is hard to keep under control. When I moved out to go to college, my mom realized that 2/3 of the food bill had been me. That was with two siblings and both parents still at home. My inability to sit still and need to work out just to wear myself out enough to make it through the day cause me to burn a ton of calories. That led to the crappy diet I had for so many years because my choices for eating out were always whatever has the most food for the lowest price - in other words, lots of buffets. I will refrain from grossing you out with how much pizza I would consume in one sitting. I will just say it was more than most medium sized families would eat combined and caused people to frequently stare at me since I was "normal" sized eating that way.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    caNwa wrote: »
    I just started LCHF yesterday. My blood sugar is the best it's been in a long while. I have to say.. it's hard to wrap my head around this concept (especially the high fat part) but I am doing it anyways. Wish me luck!

What propelled you in this direction? (For many of us :* , it was dumb luck.)