Options
    Thank ye!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    I just typed my long story and it disappeared. :(

Oh no!
    Using emojis is what causes that. Sometimes they eat everything you write other times they don't.
    I had no idea. Thank you
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I started in August of this year. I am close to my goal weight, so I haven't dropped a lot of weight yet. I am focusing on adaptation and health and hopefully weight will follow.
    My benefits I have found:

1. My food is delicious. Oh how I have missed regular mayo, cheese, bacon and all the other higher fat yumminess that I missed when I did CICO.

2. It is a lot easier to prepare food for my family and eat with them. I have 3 teenage boys with screaming metabolisms that have to be fed, and fed a LOT. Making low fat, "diet" meals meant I had to make 2 different meals for them and for me. Now, I can just skip the carby sides, pasta and rolls.

3. I don't have the shaky, low blood sugar episodes that I used to get when hungry. Now, I just get hungry. I don't feel like "I HAVE TO EAT RIGHT NOW OR I WILL DIE".

4. I just plain feel better. I have a strange condition in my feet that I hope LC (no grain) will help. I do see fewer and less severe flare ups. My mom is a celiac, so it seem natural to try to eliminate grains. LCHF was my choice to help me do that, and I love it!

5. I haven't lost a ton of pounds, but I haven't continued to gain either. The condition in my feet has changed my exercise habits in the past few years, and I have gained 8-10 pounds. My gaining has stopped, and I eat YUMMY food and don't starve. WIN-WIN. This year I hope to lose those 8-10 now that I am more comfortable with this woe.

Awesome.
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    birdtobe wrote: »
    I started November 15. So far:
    --I've lost about 15 pounds.
    --I've gone down a pants size.
    --I feel less anxious and have way more energy.
    --I'm rarely hungry and sometimes have trouble eating to my calorie goal, which is a miracle to me. On CICO, I'd white-knuckle it to the end of every day, falling asleep thinking about what I could have for breakfast!
    --I finally feel like I "get" it. I'm never going back to my old WOE.

This^

Not just breakfast either.... how many hours until I can have a snack? I should go to bed early otherwise I might binge right before bed..... It's painful how focused I was on food and how guilty I felt because of it.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    25 pounds already! That's fabulous.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Started keto end of Sept 2016 on a lark. Nothing else I'd been trying had been "sticking," and I was sick of feeling awful all the time. After a friend had amazing (100 pounds +) results on keto, I thought, "what the hey, no harm no foul." The goal of getting less than 20 g of carbs helped to tweak my mindset, and then the benefits just started rolling in: hair loss stopped, acne stopped, gut aches stopped, and the best part- 7 pounds disappeared within a week. Since then, I've had only small flare ups of my chronic tennis/nursing elbow, something which had gotten bad enough to start causing tingling in my fingers. My moods have evened out (though my energy levels are still fairly low, so I'm still doing detective work on that- started exercising again in the hopes that weakening muscles from not being able to regularly work out in a while are the reason behind that). I allowed myself some "diet free time" over the holidays and the acne and hair loss started right back up, it was crazy. I'm now down 25 pounds (close enough, 180 down to 156). I still crave French fries like the dickens but most of my other cravings have disappeared, and I was very very hooked on several sugary items! Feels good to be back on track and in control again.

Low energy could be due to low sodium. You really do need a lot more with this WOE.

Congrats on all the improvements, BTW!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, a gluten-free experiment for my daughter's benefit results in some unexpected improvements for me. You know those "skinny days" ?? That is just lack of bloat (that you didn't even know you were experiencing)... My search for non-frankenfood gluten-free stuff introduced me to paleo which was not a good fit but reinforced my desire and preference for real food. Discovered keto/LCHF sometime last year and it really feels like the right fit, physically and mentally. I have not stuck with it consistently enough to notice documented improvements. Actually my weight is up because you CANNOT burn the LCHF - HCLF candle at both ends.

Lessons learned in my world though, food prep is instrumental to my personal success. As is improving sleep patterns and helping to reduce stress. When I focus on those 3 things... everything else starts to fall in place.

I'm a slow starter, but at least I keep starting.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    . So I lowered my carb intake to 5% and more weight came off. My repeat labs showed a 1.0 (6.5 to 5.5) drop in HA1c, though my fbs was still in the prediabetic range. Last Tuesday's, labs from my yearly physical showed a further drop to 5.3 for my HA1c, my fbs was in the 90s, HDL went from 39 up to 59, triglycerides dropped from 108 to 68. Overall, pretty darn good. My cardiologist said "Keep doing what your doing". My internist told me to lower my fat intake (no thanks!).

This was a journey that really started Dec. 2015 when I had my brush with full blown diabetes and has continued through the year. I've lost over 40 pounds and actually joined the YMCA where yesterday I put on a swimsuit and entered the pool...this after 20 minutes on a recumbent bike and then walking 1 mile on the inside track. The water felt wonderful and I felt damned good about myself! Today I had a session with a trainer on how to use the circuit training machines meant for disabled and senior persons!

Oh, and I have MS, hypothyroid (which was normal on my tests after having stopped using my thyroid med two months ago), lichen planus (another lovely autoimmune thing) which has calmed considerably. Generally, I just feel better, have more energy, rare cravings and am more positive.

As an aside, my DH went keto when I did after I told him I was only cooking one kind of meal. He read Dr. Fung and then a book specifically on keto. He has lost 65 pounds with only 20 pounds left to goal. He's looking GOOD!

Love this thread!

@suzqtme, you are a Keto Diva!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Started keto end of Sept 2016 on a lark. Nothing else I'd been trying had been "sticking," and I was sick of feeling awful all the time. After a friend had amazing (100 pounds +) results on keto, I thought, "what the hey, no harm no foul." The goal of getting less than 20 g of carbs helped to tweak my mindset, and then the benefits just started rolling in: hair loss stopped, acne stopped, gut aches stopped, and the best part- 7 pounds disappeared within a week. Since then, I've had only small flare ups of my chronic tennis/nursing elbow, something which had gotten bad enough to start causing tingling in my fingers. My moods have evened out (though my energy levels are still fairly low, so I'm still doing detective work on that- started exercising again in the hopes that weakening muscles from not being able to regularly work out in a while are the reason behind that). I allowed myself some "diet free time" over the holidays and the acne and hair loss started right back up, it was crazy. I'm now down 25 pounds (close enough, 180 down to 156). I still crave French fries like the dickens but most of my other cravings have disappeared, and I was very very hooked on several sugary items! Feels good to be back on track and in control again.

Low energy could be due to low sodium. You really do need a lot more with this WOE.

Congrats on all the improvements, BTW!

@CarrieMoritz I was going to say this too. Also the French fry craving could be salt related.
  • CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    *Just* found the notifications button...and discovered I had some! Thanks for the support! I'm glad to be down, still working on the next 20. Have been stuck at the 156 for almost four weeks now, so starting to feel a bit frustrated. I get approximately 5,000 mg sodium per day (food and approx. 2 tbsp. of sole water that I always forget to log), but it's possible I'm still low. I just don't know how I could get more in!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I started in April...we went to Disney for spring break, and when I saw the vacation pictures I was not happy...at all...mind you, I'm active and a healthy weight per the BMI chart, I've always been a healthy weight, however, I was not happy with the way I was muffin topping out of my size 7 jean shorts...my choice was lose weight or buy bigger clothes...my family encouraged me to go shopping...I opted for LCHF and and increased workout schedule and decided to be Harley Quinn for Halloween as motivation to lose 15 lbs...I made goal, and totally rocked my costume and now I need a belt for some of my size 3 jeans...

goal for 2017, lose 6 net lbs...8lbs of fat and gain 2 lbs of muscle - more muscle is totally acceptable, more fat is not...this should take my body fat from 25% down to 20%

I like being able to eat plenty of yummy rich foods, and not being hungry...I don't eat breakfast, just plain coffee, then lunch, and dinner, rarely snacks, sometimes dessert...I don't eat meat but I'm totally addicted to eggs and avocados and salads...I like the occasional glass of wine and so far that hasn't caused any issues...I totally love that it fits my life and isn't hard!!!
  • CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @tcunbeliever One of my dreams is 20% bf...I've gotten to 23% via dexa before and still felt so "jiggly." I'd love to see what I've got at 20%!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Guess I should throw my hat into the ring as well...

I lost 52 lbs doing straight CICO before going to LCHF. I then plateaued and couldn't move the scale for anything. I started LCHF/KETO in April at a weight of 238 lbs (which included the 10 lbs I had put back on before starting). Since April, I am 16 lbs down! I love this WOE - the foods have more flavor (fat tastes GOOD!), I do not have urges to snack constantly, I am never hungry and frequently skip meals that I would have never skipped eating any other way. My sleep patterns are much more regular and much more restful than they were before (even tho I am sleeping for the same number of hours each night). I also had a 6 month follow-up with the Dr for blood-work in July (just over 3 months into the LCHF lifestyle) and had the best results that I have had in my adult life - total cholesterol was below 200, trigs were way down, fasting BG was 81, all around good results (my cholesterol numbers were never below 230 before going LCHF).

Goals for this year - lose another 20-25 lbs (reaching onederland!), continue working out 5 days a week and increase my 1RM values in the major lifts.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    * Have been stuck at the 156 for almost four weeks now!

Me too! Not four weeks but probably close to two.....156