Total holiday disaster!

Options
KetoGirl83
KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
Christmas + New Year's + family + traditional desserts + "I can stop when I want" = I can not stop when I want. :/

Last year I had a zero allowance policy and Christmas went smoothly, this year I thought I could relax "a little"... I was wrong! Way, way, WAY too much sugar. The white stuff, and tropical fruit, and potatoes both sweet and white, some cake and endless chocolate mostly the "Christmas" kind, far from my usual very dark.

Constant cravings, even with tummy aches and constipation. Enormous amounts of food in a never ending grazing. The crazy sugar haze back in force.

Results? Today's FBG: 120. Weight: +5kg/11lbs. It's been months since I lost weight but enter one crazy week and it's easy to get it back. :(

Most of the family has left and those still around are staying with my mother so less temptations here. Gave away the sugary carbage and am getting back on track. I did it before, I can do it again.

Thank you all for being here and a happy new year!

::flowerforyou::

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You CAN! You've made the first step by getting it out of the house! Eyes forward! Most of the weight gain is from inflammation (you know this!) and will be gone fairly quickly! Hang in there!!
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    Thank you @Karlottap, I know (and hope) it will be mostly inflammation but I needed someone to tell it to me again.

I'm still a bit depressed but I know it's the sugar leaving. No carbage today. :)

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you had a great holiday with your family! You're already back on track and that's all that matters! :)
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    @anglyn1 Yes, thank you, it was wonderful. I have family living all over the world and this is the time we are (almost all) together. It was great!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've put on a similar amount over the last many months. I was feeling a bit worse and using food for energy again. You'd think I'd learn. LOL

I sorted out my health issue a couple of weeks back but decided not to really get back on the wagon until after New Year's Day. Now it's back to work. :) We did it once, now it's just time to get going again. I just keep reminding myself that thinking about it (cutting almost all treats and such) was worse than actually doing it. It's proving true again.

Good luck. Remember lots of salt to help keep electrolytes (and mood and energy) stable.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Christmas + New Year's + family + traditional desserts + "I can stop when I want" = I can not stop when I want. :/

Last year I had a zero allowance policy and Christmas went smoothly, this year I thought I could relax "a little"... I was wrong! Way, way, WAY too much sugar. The white stuff, and tropical fruit, and potatoes both sweet and white, some cake and endless chocolate mostly the "Christmas" kind, far from my usual very dark.

Constant cravings, even with tummy aches and constipation. Enormous amounts of food in a never ending grazing. The crazy sugar haze back in force.

Results? Today's FBG: 120. Weight: +5kg/11lbs. It's been months since I lost weight but enter one crazy week and it's easy to get it back. :(

Most of the family has left and those still around are staying with my mother so less temptations here. Gave away the sugary carbage and am getting back on track. I did it before, I can do it again.

Thank you all for being here and a happy new year!

You'd have to eat about 5,700 calories more than you need to function each and every day to put on 11 lbs. That's really unlikely!

As to FBG, it will go back down once you cut back on the carbs. Just get back into eating the way you need to eat. After a couple of days you'll find out that you didn't actually gain more than a pound or two.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat but haven't stepped on the scale yet. I know I've gained though as I've got that uncomfy feeling and have been eating sugar A LOT.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    (...)I just keep reminding myself that thinking about it (cutting almost all treats and such) was worse than actually doing it. It's proving true again.
    (...)

@nvmomketo This really is true. There's this haze when it looks like eating sugar is worth it and a little becomes a lot and a lot becomes out of control. But when we stop all kinds of good things happen. I look back at myself and I can see it's destructive behaviour and I don't understand why I let it happen.

neohdiver wrote: »

You'd have to eat about 5,700 calories more than you need to function each and every day to put on 11 lbs. That's really unlikely!

As to FBG, it will go back down once you cut back on the carbs. Just get back into eating the way you need to eat. After a couple of days you'll find out that you didn't actually gain more than a pound or two.

@neohdiver I didn't eat 5,700 calories more every day. Probably not, I hope. And I know some of the weight is water, inflammation, constipation etc. And yet I know it'll take a lot more than a few days for it all to disappear. This morning was less 1lb and FBG 112.

For 2 years I have been telling myself my taste has changed, I now prefer foods that are good for me, bla-bla-bla. It's wishful thinking. It's like a recovering alcoholic saying that she actually now prefers to drink water. It only works when we don't put it to the test. The alcoholic can't drink a glass of wine and I definitely can't eat carbage. Because I still love it and will always love it and I can't control myself when eating it.

I can have real food a little higher in carbs, occasionally, maybe. But absolutely not on anything that is more than half its weight sugars as it was the case with all the desserts and chocolate. Yes, the first bites now taste cloyingly sweet. If only I could stop at that moment. But then it's like the sugar demon awakens and I just want more of it until I feel sick. And then some more.

I can analyze what happens, that's some progress. And I can share my struggles with you all and know I'm in a safe place, that has been so important for me.

Thank you. <3

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    (...)I just keep reminding myself that thinking about it (cutting almost all treats and such) was worse than actually doing it. It's proving true again.
    (...)

@nvmomketo This really is true. There's this haze when it looks like eating sugar is worth it and a little becomes a lot and a lot becomes out of control. But when we stop all kinds of good things happen. I look back at myself and I can see it's destructive behaviour and I don't understand why I let it happen.

neohdiver wrote: »

@neohdiver I didn't eat 5,700 calories more every day. Probably not, I hope. And I know some of the weight is water, inflammation, constipation etc. And yet I know it'll take a lot more than a few days for it all to disappear. This morning was less 1lb and FBG 112.

For 2 years I have been telling myself my taste has changed, I now prefer foods that are good for me, bla-bla-bla. It's wishful thinking. It's like a recovering alcoholic saying that she actually now prefers to drink water. It only works when we don't put it to the test. The alcoholic can't drink a glass of wine and I definitely can't eat carbage. Because I still love it and will always love it and I can't control myself when eating it.

I can have real food a little higher in carbs, occasionally, maybe. But absolutely not on anything that is more than half its weight sugars as it was the case with all the desserts and chocolate. Yes, the first bites now taste cloyingly sweet. If only I could stop at that moment. But then it's like the sugar demon awakens and I just want more of it until I feel sick. And then some more.

I can analyze what happens, that's some progress. And I can share my struggles with you all and know I'm in a safe place, that has been so important for me.

Thank you. <3

That's very insightful and honestly my thought in reading it was that it was a valuable lesson for you. I don't mean that like "did you learn your lesson now?" Lol
    Just an real honest truth that you probably already knew but sometimes it helps to get a refresher course on because that stubborn 3 year old in the back our minds is still kicking and screaming about how "it's not fair". That's the visual I get if I start to have a hard time with a habit that I don't like that's also not easy to change.
    Anyway, I tend to really appreciate my learned lessons and really value them. Maybe it's just my way of putting a positive spin on something gone wrong but it definitely helps me long term to think in that way.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    Thank you @Sunny_Bunnie you always see the bright side of things.

I'm trying to take it as a lesson because I obviously needed it. When things start going well and we feel like we're "in control" perhaps for the first time ever, it's easy to try to push it a little bit further. At least that's what happened with me and I can totally see the 3 year old me hiding chocolate because the adult me just wanted to forget the stupid IR and T2D and metabolism and science and whatever. That's a very useful image, lol.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I'm trying to take it as a lesson because I obviously needed it. When things start going well and we feel like we're "in control" perhaps for the first time ever, it's easy to try to push it a little bit further. At least that's what happened with me and I can totally see the 3 year old me hiding chocolate because the adult me just wanted to forget the stupid IR and T2D and metabolism and science and whatever. That's a very useful image, lol.

You hit it on the head for me too. :)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I was guilted into having multiple varieties of Christmas cookies in the house, even though I know certain things are a weakness. Even after I've gone to bed nauseous every night for the past 2 weeks. I have made up my mind. There will be no more. I have to control this before it controls me. We can do this!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat...I refuse to weigh myself because I just don't want to see what the scale looks like...I also thought I could just have a few treats here and there, yeah...that's not how it worked out. So here's to getting back on track!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with "relaxing" meaning "instant full-on binge permission" for me. Really did some damage this year, totally eating my feelings...but it's a new year and I'm back in the fight.
    I also seem to do better with zero carb leeway. Wish I could figure out the moderation piece...I feel like it's so important!!!
    Oh well, new year...new plan...new successes! For all of us!!!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    This happened to me 3 Christmas's ago. I thought "it's only one day, I'll eat whatever I want and get back on track the next day". I got back on track in May. After I gained 14kg. I will never again make that mistake. The last 2 Christmas's I have relaxed my tracking, and not counted my calories but I have eaten Keto. I have mitigated the weight gain damage to a kg or two and been able to go back to tracking with no issue.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 3 lbs, don't know how but did.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I ate whatever I from Christmas eve until new years eve. So I went back keto 4 days ago and the cravings are definitely back! I thought it would take a while to get back into ketosis but I checked yesterday morning and the test strip was already positive. Hopefully the holiday weight will be coming back off quickly.

Did I mention the sugar cravings are back? Because they back with a vengeance. I just ate 2/3 pound of chicken and half a bag of broccoli. I'm physically full but I keep walking back into the kitchen wanting something sweet.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    So I dumped all the leftover cookies and fudge. Shh, don't tell my family. :) I'm on my second day back on low carb/keto and already my digestive system feels so much better.