Blog Your Ride

Options

Replies

• luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Good luck at your show this weekend jcraig10!

glad you spoke to the trainer showjumper. now you can focus on your next show.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @luckypony71 I'm right there with you on wanting to avoid getting hurt. Takes a lot longer to heal (mentally, too!) now than it did at 15 or 25. Absolutely nothing wrong with being cautious but good for you for wanting to push yourself a bit.

@jcraig10 Good luck at your show tomorrow! And be safe hauling out.

@showjumper Goals are great for motivation. On the one-sidedness, have you considered chiro work? Past injuries + not sitting square at my desk = lopsidedness for me. My chiro helps me get my right seat bone back in the saddle when it starts to feel absent.
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @jcraig10 Best of luck at your show!
    @showjumper Sorry to hear about your dilemma but it sounds like you have it sorted out. Just be yourself and ignore the rest that doesn't serve you. You're awesome!
    @ luckypony71 I've already been dreaming about the perfect pony for my granddaughter. I have another stall available. We used to have a great older Arab pony I taught some kids on. She passed away a couple years ago and is very missed. My nieces are horse crazy too so they like to ride when they visit.
    I've been watching my Jane Savoie videos in prep for spring. Riding in my mind right now. Lol
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    On my way to Aiken today. We make it a 2 day trip and should be there tomorrow afternoon. Won't ride until Tuesday after I take hubby to the airport. Can't wait!
  • snookb276
    Options
    @crimsongrey Ahhh, at last. Let the adventure begin.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    finally made it! The horses were so happy to get off the trailer and run around in their paddock <3 76 degrees today so they definitely need to get bathed and clipped this week!
  • snookb276
    Options
    @crimsongrey Yeah! 76 degrees must be heaven!
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Had a great day of dressage - a 70% and a 69% in my intro tests on the pony :-) Much improved from our 56% at his first dressage show last March!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @jcraig10 Fantastic start to the year! Good Job.......
  • snookb276
    Options
    @jcraig10 Great scores and improvement. You must be delighted.
  • luckypony71
    Options
    @jcraig10 Sounds like a great show. Congratulations!
  • luckypony71
    Options
    @crimsongrey

Sounds like a beautiful day
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    @jcraig10 that's great!

Had my first ride in aiken today. Just some w, t, c and a hack around the property. Felt amazing! 75 degrees and sunny :)
  • jcraig10
    Options
    That sounds amazing @crimsongrey ...my trainer is headed down there next week for about a month with her 3 y/o & a sale horse. Enjoy it!
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    Someone was a little full of himself today. No walk, no trot. Only cantering, galloping and general craziness. Fun times :/
  • jcraig10
    Options
    Tomorrow is another day! @crimsongrey

Had a lesson tonight...focused mostly on rider fitness. We did a lot of no stirrup work at the trot...figure 8s sitting, circles posting. Got my stirrups back for canter (smile) and worked on canter circles in 2 point. Only one more lesson before my trainer heads south! :-( I will still be able to ride while she is gone though, which is good!
  • luckypony71
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I got my country horse past the ducks in the pond last night. We walked by the ducks, they moved into the water. By the time we got down to the palm tree on the trail the ducks started to fly over the fence. She spooked. I got her back under control and walked by the remaining ducks again and again. Then, because walking past scary ducks wasn't enough, I took her further down the trail than we have been before. I was walking her past the bridge that goes over the culvert. The running water had her shaking. I stopped and gave her a bite of grass, walked back the way we came and repeated 3 more times. When she was finally settled and following me quietly, I took her back to the part of the trail she is familiar with and got on. Rode the lap around the pond twice and went home.

Slowly getting my country horse used to life in the city. She's a great mare with a good head on her shoulders. She calms down quickly to new surroundings. I haven't taken her to a horse show or anything yet. I hope to be able to take her to the main arena eventually.

I decided that I am not rushing this though. I know I have limits and my mare has limits. At home we are both fine under saddle. Eventually we will get to enjoy the trails together. I am not letting my fears stop me, they just slow me down.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @luckypony71 YAY!!! :) showing great tenacity! way to stick to it and give her the time to do it properly......
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love rides that, on the surface, seem uneventful but the fact they ARE uneventful is worthy of celebration. My semi-retired Paint gelding, Primer, has reduced vision in one eye. Before he was gifted to me nearly 4 years ago, he was removed from the lesson program because he had started spooking with very little provocation. Spooks were bad enough to throw the kids riding him. Bad enough to throw me, too. After spooking, he usually bolted and became hard to catch, high as a kite.

Yesterday, out for a hack just the two of us, he spooked at a loud noise. He bolted half a step then came right back to me with a quiet whoa. We stood for a moment then went on with our hack on the buckle. Trust and patience.
  • snookb276
    Options
    I'd count that as a victory ride. He's trusting you.