AngiesCookie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Things I hate on LCHF:

-Drinking hardly any beer
    -Having to think so much about salt
    -Eating so few fruits

That's about it.

I drink the Micolob Ultra.. 2.5 net carbs? And I don't like beer and its nice & light.

*Ditto on the fruits. I miss them...
  • AngiesCookie
    AngiesCookie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I miss quinoa, brown basmati, fruit (I live in a major fruit belt and miss peaches, nectarines and cherries the most) and blue corn tortilla chips. Not craving so much as missing their lovely flavour. Pork rinds DO NOT CUT IT as chip replacements. And kale chips are too time consuming and expensive to make, as I can eat pounds of kale in a single sitting. Which is probably too many carbs anyhow, lol.
    Unfortunately I do not have any health issues related to eating these foods, except a bit of possible weight gain (but not even to the overweight category) which I am trying to avoid as I go through menopause. It would be easier if I puked up, or my hair fell out, or I had an asthma attack when I eat them, lol.

Have you tried using the fathead dough to make crackers/chips? I had it the first time last night and can see that thin & crispy, this will be a great alternative for things!!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I miss quinoa, brown basmati, fruit (I live in a major fruit belt and miss peaches, nectarines and cherries the most) and blue corn tortilla chips. Not craving so much as missing their lovely flavour. Pork rinds DO NOT CUT IT as chip replacements. And kale chips are too time consuming and expensive to make, as I can eat pounds of kale in a single sitting. Which is probably too many carbs anyhow, lol.
    Unfortunately I do not have any health issues related to eating these foods, except a bit of possible weight gain (but not even to the overweight category) which I am trying to avoid as I go through menopause. It would be easier if I puked up, or my hair fell out, or I had an asthma attack when I eat them, lol.

Have you tried using the fathead dough to make crackers/chips? I had it the first time last night and can see that thin & crispy, this will be a great alternative for things!!

i did this and it turned out really nice.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thinking about salt intake seems to come up a lot. One way to help for me is I eat some sunflower seeds on the way home from work almost every day. It adds very little in the way of calories, but I make sure to get all the salt off the shells. It is also helpful for me as a stress reliever for all the idiots on the road during rush hour.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Almond flour is so expensive!

Lack of prepackaged and healthy snack options, especially stuff that doesn't need to be stored in the fridge. Pretty much can't eat anything in a vending machine except the packages of nuts. But I guess that's good because I would be spending more money. My snacks all pretty much include nuts/seeds, string cheese and pepperoni (latter two items I need to keep in the fridge so I can't keep them in my bag for, say, a day at the pool.)

I love those Bertolli pasta bags and I miss them so much. I wish there was something low carb, keto even, that was similar to that. Like a bag that comes with zoodles/spaghetti squash noodles/cauliflower rice, meat, veggies and then either frozen sauce or a package of dry seasoning that you can mix with water or butter, etc. All you have to do is take it out of the freezer, pop it in a skillet and it's done in 10 minutes.

(The theme here is prepackaged foods lol)

Migraines and constipation

Not sure where you shop or what country you're in, but in the U.K., most of the major grocery chains have fresh pre-cut / couscous'd / riced / spiralized veggies. I don't have a freezer, so I haven't looked for frozen... but that at least cuts down in the prep time :)

@PaleoInScotland - I swear, we're practically in the middle ages over here in the US. Most mainstream stores, Wal-Mart and other chains only carry this if they're in a major metro or if enough folks have requested it. I have yet to see this ANYWHERE in my town, which isn't that small, but isn't huge either, and I visit some of the more specialty stores on occasion...and that is fresh or frozen, but I have heard rumors of maybe finding it frozen soon...

lol I live out in the country, where there are no doubt remnants of buildings from the Middle Ages nearby and I can get tubs of fresh mixed veg that has been "riced", spiralized squash, cauliflower couscous and more from the store in the tiny village 10 miles away or delivered fresh to my door. Guess things aren't really so backwards over here. I grew up a Cali girl though, so I do miss the vegan/raw cafes, juice bars and 24-hour fitness clubs from my youth! There's none of that around here... and what I wouldn't give for a Whole Foods or an Asian market the size of a Walmart. :blush:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss - Walmart here now carries several varieties of riced cauliflower steamable bags in the frozen section. The first one I tried was a garlic butter (or something like that). It was much better after adding more butter. They put very little on it. I have a few other varieties in the freezer I haven't tried yet.

@cstehansen - I did that search on my zipcode for Walmart availability on this last month, and it said they didn't have it within 50 or 100 miles from me. I'll keep my eyes peeled though... Because my guy categorically HATES cauliflower, I've yet to go to the effort to make it just for me.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - Walmart here now carries several varieties of riced cauliflower steamable bags in the frozen section. The first one I tried was a garlic butter (or something like that). It was much better after adding more butter. They put very little on it. I have a few other varieties in the freezer I haven't tried yet.

@cstehansen - I did that search on my zipcode for Walmart availability on this last month, and it said they didn't have it within 50 or 100 miles from me. I'll keep my eyes peeled though... Because my guy categorically HATES cauliflower, I've yet to go to the effort to make it just for me.

You can't trust online. It says it is not at my local store either. I have had multiple products where online info didn't match with reality
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I admit the only thing I really don't like about keto is eating meat. I was vegetarian for moral reasons but my body really did not enjoy it. Gained weight, skin broke out, felt like I was never full no matter how many plant fats and protein I consumed. So I'm doing what my body wants now and reaping so many benefits but feel ashamed at the same time. I know there are ways of doing keto vegetarian...but I am so sick of being restricted with food in one way or another, I want to just BE. So yeah... just my own little internal dilemma. I rationalize it's my life and my health matters and I have to do what's best for my body.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I admit the only thing I really don't like about keto is eating meat. I was vegetarian for moral reasons but my body really did not enjoy it. Gained weight, skin broke out, felt like I was never full no matter how many plant fats and protein I consumed. So I'm doing what my body wants now and reaping so many benefits but feel ashamed at the same time. I know there are ways of doing keto vegetarian...but I am so sick of being restricted with food in one way or another, I want to just BE. So yeah... just my own little internal dilemma. I rationalize it's my life and my health matters and I have to do what's best for my body.

You're a trooper.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My snacks all pretty much include nuts/seeds, string cheese and pepperoni (latter two items I need to keep in the fridge so I can't keep them in my bag for, say, a day at the pool.)
    You can keep both pepperoni and cheese w/o refrigeration (except maybe outdoors in Arizona or S. Texas or Florida in the summer, lol) You can also keep HB eggs UNPEELED in a baggie in your purse. Also little sealed tubs of yogourt are fine in a baggie in your purse. Ask me how I know.
    Am I the only one who always took a lunch to school that NEVER included an ice pack (not in those days) and never got sick??? I think we've forgotten that not everything rots or becomes unsafe in an hour. Pepperonis and salamis were invented to keep w/o refrigeration for months in a storeroom. Cheese is ripened w/o refrigeration and actually tastes better when room temperature. The shell protects the eggs.
    :)
    Actually a few times I've forgotten that I had a yogourt in my purse and have eaten it 36 hours later. No problem. The Bedouin keep their yogourt on the side of their camels and horses in desert heat. It's already predigested by the natural bacteria.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

You can't trust online. It says it is not at my local store either. I have had multiple products where online info didn't match with reality

@cstehansen - I looked online AFTER I looked through the entire freezer section at my local shop. LOL I was looking for a site to store shipping option. It wasn't available.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    My snacks all pretty much include nuts/seeds, string cheese and pepperoni (latter two items I need to keep in the fridge so I can't keep them in my bag for, say, a day at the pool.)
    You can keep both pepperoni and cheese w/o refrigeration (except maybe outdoors in Arizona or S. Texas or Florida in the summer, lol) You can also keep HB eggs UNPEELED in a baggie in your purse. Also little sealed tubs of yogourt are fine in a baggie in your purse. Ask me how I know.
    Am I the only one who always took a lunch to school that NEVER included an ice pack (not in those days) and never got sick??? I think we've forgotten that not everything rots or becomes unsafe in an hour. Pepperonis and salamis were invented to keep w/o refrigeration for months in a storeroom. Cheese is ripened w/o refrigeration and actually tastes better when room temperature. The shell protects the eggs.
    :)
    Actually a few times I've forgotten that I had a yogourt in my purse and have eaten it 36 hours later. No problem. The Bedouin keep their yogourt on the side of their camels and horses in desert heat. It's already predigested by the natural bacteria.

Whenever I have left pepperoni or cheese out it starts to "sweat". I figured that can't be good.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    the 'sweat' (I think) is the fats in the cheese and pepperoni returning to a more liquid form (from having solidified in the cold). I have to agree, cheese that has been on the counter for awhile has a lot more flavor than cheese that has just come out of the fridge!
  • annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I miss Chicken Tikka Marsala with a somosa on the side. Sigh...LOVE. I can skip the rice NO PROBLEM and just scoop it up like soup, but even without the rice it's so high carb.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    annie422 wrote: »
    I miss Chicken Tikka Marsala with a somosa on the side. Sigh...LOVE. I can skip the rice NO PROBLEM and just scoop it up like it soup, but even without the rice it's so high carb.

I have not tried this but here's a recipe from Ruled.me. Every recipe I have gotten from that website is great.

http://www.ruled.me/slow-cooker-keto-chicken-tikka-masala/
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    BEER!! Luckily cheese, brats, and burgers are fine on keto (can you tell I'm from Wisconsin? :D haha) But yes, I love beer. Sometimes I will eat super low or zero carb a day just so I can allow a beer or two and still hit my macros lol. I actually have Brewfest coming up in a couple of weeks, so ... I guess I better work out the details on how that'll work.

• annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    annie422 wrote: »
    I miss Chicken Tikka Marsala with a somosa on the side. Sigh...LOVE. I can skip the rice NO PROBLEM and just scoop it up like it soup, but even without the rice it's so high carb.

I have not tried this but here's a recipe from Ruled.me. Every recipe I have gotten from that website is great.

http://www.ruled.me/slow-cooker-keto-chicken-tikka-masala/

Thank you @bowlerae I'm definitely going to try this!
  • CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I miss French fries and chocolate milkshakes... *wah*. Radishes do nothing for me and my plan is low fat enough that I can't have whole cups of heavy whipping cream without completely abolishing my macros.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I hate participating in FB groups where they are so terrified of "protein turning into sugar" that new people post things like this. All. Day. Long.
    I literally grabbed these screenshots as extreme examples within the first 20 posts on the page. There were other less extreme examples of utter confusion that is not the fault of the new person but the fault of the members because they say moderate protein when in fact they condone low protein.
    p3zr68mioqts.png

This person thinks she's supposed to just start eating fat because this is what is heralded as a perfect day.
    ykdko6o09520.png

God help these peoples poor muscles.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I hate participating in FB groups where they are so terrified of "protein turning into sugar" that new people post things like this. All. Day. Long.
    I literally grabbed these screenshots as extreme examples within the first 20 posts on the page. There were other less extreme examples of utter confusion that is not the fault of the new person but the fault of the members because they say moderate protein when in fact they condone low protein.
    p3zr68mioqts.png

This person thinks she's supposed to just start eating fat because this is what is heralded as a perfect day.
    ykdko6o09520.png

God help these peoples poor muscles.

Yep, I got kicked out of one of these Facebook groups because I told a poster that they should eat more protein and fat only til satiated. Even got PM'd a nasty message on my way out.