What are you training for?

Options

Replies

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My wife just surprised me with a registration for the Dopey Challenge at Disney World in January. Not quite sure if she is trying to kill me or just wanted a trip to Disney?!?!? So, that's what I'm training for along with a local half and full in October.

She realizes that you will be in no condition to enjoy the parks after that right? I had a few friends do it last year and they said the 2:30-3:00 am wake up calls were awful. My wife has wanted me to do this since they offered it 3 year's ago, but I've never pulled the trigger. Good luck.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A coworker of mine did it two years ago. He said the o'dark thirty starts were really tough (asked me if I knew that they started that early? Yes, I read the website). I haven't done it since Disney is not necessarily high on our list of places to go.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - How exciting...you have been training hard...you will do great!
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Training for my first 10K in November. I did my first 5K April 2nd and shocked myself when I came in 3rd for my group. I ran another 5K in June and hit 3rd again. So I found a 10K far enough that I can get some serious training in prep for it. I'm hoping I can at least hit bronze again.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi. The main event i'm training for is a 100 miler in July next year.

I also have a 50 miler booked for April.

I've never done an Ultra before and will be my first marathon in a week or so.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I've been training for my 1st half marathon for October 1st. I then start training for my 1st marathon for the end of February with another HM scheduled in December. After my marathon, I want to focus on trail racing.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I'm seldom actually training for anything specific. Just training for overall fitness, and my own sanity.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My next "big race" is on April 29th. I'll be running a 50k trail race, (my first ultra!) in Wisconsin, the Chippewa 50K Trail race in Wisconsin. I just took a first pass at building a training schedule but I'm sure I'll be tweaking it many times before it starts, sometime in mid November. That's a somewhat subjective start though, as I'll be structuring all my training from here on out to build up to that. I just wanna run, and I wanna run long.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    @7lenny7 Wow, and good luck! I was born and raised in Wisconsin (hence the profile pic...) I love trail racing, but I can't even think about tackling something so long until I see how I do in my marathon next year.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I love trail racing, but I can't even think about tackling something so long until I see how I do in my marathon next year.

@BeeerRunner I was the same way. Until I ran my first HM in October of last year, a full was out of the question. Until I ran my first full last May, an ultra was out of the question. Now I believe that once I have a successful 50K, I'll want to tackle a 50 mile race, and so on. My ultimate goal is to finish the Superior 100 Mile race some day. I don't know if I'll ever get there, but that's a stretch goal.

BTW, my favorite New Glarus beer is Uff-Da Bock.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 the superior 100 is on my bucket list, since I'm so slope to thr area
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    [@BeeerRunner I was the same way. Until I ran my first HM in October of last year, a full was out of the question. Until I ran my first full last May, an ultra was out of the question. Now I believe that once I have a successful 50K, I'll want to tackle a 50 mile race, and so on. My ultimate goal is to finish the Superior 100 Mile race some day. I don't know if I'll ever get there, but that's a stretch goal.

BTW, my favorite New Glarus beer is Uff-Da Bock.

@7lenny7 I'll have to check that beer out...thanks for the tip!! I'm going to WI in November so I'm going to stock up on New Glarus since we'll be road tripping. I've got a fridge in the garage that can hold plenty of beer!! ;)

I'm doing my 1st HM next weekend and have my 1st marathon in February. I'm totally comfortable with the HM distance, but the full marathon distance is still very intimidating. We'll see how I feel come February!!

After the marathon, I am planning to go to as many races as possible in the Xterra Texas trail running series. Most of those are 15Ks to HMs though.
  • katelaurel390
    katelaurel390 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my next half marathon -- Marin County at the end of April. I live on the east coast, but my cousin lives out in San Francisco, so I'll be visiting her and we both will be running the race!!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    This thread is almost a year old, and it's that time of year again. Just like last year, I'm training for the Boston Marathon. I have a few minor races between now and then, but Boston dominates the training schedule.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Same as last year... half marathon in May, then 10k in November
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually signed up yet, but I'm 95% sure I will... and if I keep telling everyone I'm going to do it, then I pretty much have to, right?!

I'm going to do the 12K Nebraska Trail Run on 4/1/17. Must train hard between now and then. I don't expect to win, but my goal is to not be in last place and to do the best I can given training time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Having had to downgrade from the Marathon to the Half last March at the Larmer Tree races, I'm now working towards the Marathon again his year. White Star Season Ticket this year, so four Marathons and two 12 hour ultras this year, including a back to back; 12 hours Saturday with a full on the Sunday morning

Might throw in a couple of HMs as well
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Training for my first half marathon in the first of April. 2016 was my first year to enter any race. That first 5K went well so I did another and then a 10K and a couple virtuals. After the 10K, I decided to try training for a half and will run it in the same race I ran my first 5K last year.