HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

Options
2»

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting plenty of water and electrolytes while you recover. Otherwise, just acknowledge what happened and start eating low carb again. It will take some time to feel better, but that sick feeling also might help you to have more willpower to turn down such foods next time.

While you can't completely prevent people around you from offering carb-heavy foods, you can decline to eat it and take steps to minimize this in the future. When I do that, I tell them why. By now, my co-workers already know I eat low carb. Sometimes the "offer" now is: "Are there carbs in xxx?" Of course, my answer is nearly always "yes" because the types of foods people share usually have carbs. It ends there because they know better than to offer me that food. Even better, they don't need to ask next time the same food is brought in. They know I don't want donuts, cake, cookies, and potato chips. They now know that I won't eat a sandwich without removing the meat from the bun. They now know not to offer potato chips. It has taken time, but I've trained those around me to not offer carb-heavy foods.

I find it really helpful to have shared my diet with my colleagues, it provides me with massive accountability. I've been so adamant that I won't touch carbs, no way, no how, that if I were to break down and eat carbs in front of them now, I would feel soooo ashamed. And they're all so incredibly supportive and encouraging because they can see how much weight I've lost that the shame and embarrassment of eating carbs in front of them now would not be worth the indulgence at all. I'd feel like a huge failure... it's one thing to fail privately, alone, at home, it's another thing to do it in front of everyone you work with. It really helps keep me in line :smiley:

I shared the keto WOE with 2 colleagues earlier this week. They have been for weeks offering me snacks that they take turns restocking in the office. I've been telling them I can't have it. Sometimes I look at the label and then I tell them I can't have this. When they ask why I say "Well this has 8g of sugar and I eat only 30g or less of net carbs per day and this is already 1/3rd plus I don't eat sugar". That was one day. Then a few days later they said "How much sugar and carbs can you have a day?" And then the next day they asked why. I made it a point to not impose my WOE on them but since they were interested I told them about keto and they even asked for links to read up about it so I provided that as well. It's just been 2 days but at lunch time we all shared what we were eating and swapped recipes and shopping lists. One of them is so excited about it she has already convinced her mother to try. So it's incredibly helpful to have people around that are on the same plan as you. But if not, you really have to power through it and just hold yourself accountable. I'm also the type of person that, even if they weren't following this WOE but they knew I was, if I deviate from it in front of them then I would feel bad and that helps me stay on track.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    tattoomary wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice from most of you ;)

Iv thrown out all the old sweets so am going to start anew.
    Just wondering what others do when they fall off the low carb wagon?

Do you just continue as normal.
    Anyone do a fast ? Would this help at all?

Im sure there are others that have young kids... so not possible to have a carb free house.

I wouldn't fast as a fix for a binge. There is definitely something that doesn't feel emotionally healthy about that.

This is what worked for me. You have to change the way you even view those foods. They are not special and amazing and treats and you're denying yourself... they are not good for you. They harm you and keep you from what you want. They literally affect your brain and make it incredibly difficult for you to stop eating them. They addict you and interfere with behavior that you want to be consistent. THEY ARE NOT FOOD FOR YOU.
    So,
    You have others around that eat those foods, so you have them in your house.
    Do you have a cat or dog? Are you tempted to eat their food? Of course not! Because it's not food for you.
    If you can program your thinking so that those foods are no more special than a can of Alpo... you'll have no problem. That stuff isn't special. You can make low carb sweets, though any sweets shouldn't be a regular thing, because it just keeps you craving food when you're not hungry. But you could plan a low carb dessert day twice a month or something and make something decadent. It's certainly better than eating the carbage
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Re-embrace WHY you should stop sabotaging. Think about every bite and "whether it is worth it" and "whether it puts you further down the path you want to travel". Then come back here often for support and reinforcement. This is a loving community with many who have had the same struggles.

Your frank honesty about your struggles is the first step...good for you! You recognize there is a problem and YOU need to do something about it...yes, YOU. Having kids is not an excuse...you can have a house full of healthy carbs rather than empty carbs and your kiddos will still thrive if fed healthy, nourishing foods. They may *kitten* and whine if they don't get candy or French fries, but they will thrive. If you get them started on great choices, they will be much likelier to make great choices in their future.

We are all here to support you, but YOU have to make the committment and choices. We are all in the same battle, so why not battle together?
  • Mellie2fit2quit
    Mellie2fit2quit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar addict.... 20 days sober... my house has been filled with chocolate chip cookies, red velvet Oreos, candy, pound cake. Nila wafers.... and I haven't touched any of it.

I've gotten to a point to where I FOCUS on my goal. Its so easy to fall off the wagon and just say "I'll start over tomorrow. " If I keep starting over, I won't get anywhere.... I'm focusing on my goal. Changing a habit takes mental stamina. Temptation is everywhere. At work, at restaurants, at home, at a friend/relatives house.

Instead of saying "I can't have that. " say "I dont want that".....rewire your brain. Its hard, but doable. The reward center in your brain wants you to indulge, but focus in the goal every time you eat....
  • Mellie2fit2quit
    Mellie2fit2quit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    But to answer your other question..

HIIT will help you recover. (High intensity interval training) requires readily available energy sources and carbohydrates are perfect for the job... you need to utilize the sugar you just ate and a large percentage of the sugar stored as glycogen in your muscles. Your body wont completely deplete your carb storage, but your levels may be too high for ketosis.

Try getting your heart rate to stay between 70 and 80% of your max HR for 30 minutes with small decreases in your HR for 1 minute every 4 minutes.

It takes the body 4 days to burn off a heavy cheat day lol.... so be patient <3
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cheats happen. The hard part is getting up afterwards, pulling up your big girl pants saying that happened and trying to learn from your mistakes.
    If you can identify the trigger it is much less likely to happen over and over. Ask your mum not to buy that cake or if she does not to tell you. If she is getting your favorite carbs for the kids only get enough for them, etc.
  • tattoomary
    tattoomary Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    WOW thanks so much for all the responses, what a great community :)
    I think the reason i fell off the wagon was that I let myself get hungry. I made myself a low carb dinner but it was awful and I couldnt eat it.
    When I plan and prepare Its much easier to say no to the bad foods.
    My mum buys the fruit cake for the kids once a week, and drops it down.
    I generally dont keep much rubish in the house..only a few biscuits for the kids.

I definatly am a carb addict...and like others said once I start I cant stop...to the point of taking sweets back out of the bin (I know, I know)

So I have pulled by big girl pants up, lol, did my pilates class this morning and am firmly sitting back on the wagon ;)

Many thanks again to all...it makes a big difference to know that the support is here x
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    tattoomary wrote: »
    WOW thanks so much for all the responses, what a great community :)
    I think the reason i fell off the wagon was that I let myself get hungry. I made myself a low carb dinner but it was awful and I couldnt eat it.
    When I plan and prepare Its much easier to say no to the bad foods.
    My mum buys the fruit cake for the kids once a week, and drops it down.
    I generally dont keep much rubish in the house..only a few biscuits for the kids.

I definatly am a carb addict...and like others said once I start I cant stop...to the point of taking sweets back out of the bin (I know, I know)

So I have pulled by big girl pants up, lol, did my pilates class this morning and am firmly sitting back on the wagon ;)

Many thanks again to all...it makes a big difference to know that the support is here x

I have been there! Nothing is worse than when you are ravenous or you have been craving this one recipe that has been pinned on your Pinterest for so long, only to make it and it turns out bad. What are you left to eat? I've had a good number of recipes that did not turn out right. I'm getting into the habit now of cooking food 1.) When I'm not really hungry that way if it doesn't go right I won't feel like I'm going to die and 2.) When I still have some left overs of the previous food. That way if it does go horribly wrong I still have a day or something to go back to the grocery store and make a tried and true recipe.