Breaking the non-Low Carb mind set

Options
IowaHomeGirl
IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
I'm on day four of low carb. I track on MFP and I'm keeping carbs below 50 g a day. This morning while making my eggs and sausage, I sprayed the pan before cooking the sausage. I have to consciously add butter or oil when cooking because I've done the low cal/low fat thing for so long.

Was there anything you found hard to leave behind when you went low carb?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'm on day four of low carb. I track on MFP and I'm keeping carbs below 50 g a day. This morning while making my eggs and sausage, I sprayed the pan before cooking the sausage. I have to consciously add butter or oil when cooking because I've done the low cal/low fat thing for so long.

Was there anything you found hard to leave behind when you went low carb?

Not eating Quest bars. Seriously, *kitten* those things, and the *kitten* who thought that IMO and Sucralose shouldn't be net carbs.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    What's IMO?

Oh, I have a hard time popping popcorn and not tossing the wayward kernels in my hole.

Also, testing pasta for correct al dente texture. I can't tell you how many kernels and noodles I've had to spit out!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    IMO=in my opinion.

My biggest hurdle was the convenience of opening a box, and calling it a meal (never was one to cook much real food). I quickly adjusted though! That stuff was killing me!!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I would say just take it slowly. It took me a while to get over the whole fat=bad thing. You may find that once you realize how nice and full you stay on the higher fat intake, and how much less food you need as a result, you'll feel good about it. It might take a couple of weeks or so, but you'll get there.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fatty meat cuts is hard to leave behind.

We butcher our own meat and everyone goes lean. This year I had to keep stopping them from throwing away the fat, and they still did it! I'd leave the room for a moment and they'd get trimming. I swear! LOL

I found it really weird to add fats like coconut oil to my coffee instead of sugar. Now it is one of my favorite foods.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I thought not eating all the carbs at dinner that my family ate would bother me; but it was shockingly easy. Only in the last few days have I tried to stop habit eating and that's really, really tough for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What's IMO?

Oh, I have a hard time popping popcorn and not tossing the wayward kernels in my hole.

Also, testing pasta for correct al dente texture. I can't tell you how many kernels and noodles I've had to spit out!

Isomalto-ogilosaccharides, the "Fiber" used in Quest bars. Contrary to what was on the original patent papers, it's been shown to jack up blood sugar in diabetics.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    What's IMO?

I do this with pasta and rice if Shayla isn't around to try it for me :smile:
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Not eating Quest bars. Seriously, *kitten* those things, and the *kitten* who thought that IMO and Sucralose shouldn't be net carbs.

@Gallowmere1984 ...don't eat the whole bar. Instead just have 1/4th or 1/2 of the bar. I usually cut a bar into 4ths and have a piece every day during the work week as part of my lunch. I considered it a couple of bites worth of mid-day dessert because of the sweet flavors. lol
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've found it very hard to reduce my vegetable consumption. I tried to eat 20 grams max of carbs for a while, but I missed veggies too much and was unwilling to give up dairy and nuts. Surprisingly, I have found it much less challenging to cut other carbs thanks to my dramatically increased fat intake. However, I still struggle with this mentally and won't feel better about it until I see what my lipids look like when I have my physical next month. I've upped my carbs a bit and am counting net carbs now. I'm still trying to find my carb 'sweet spot.'
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It was a little hard - and scary - to adjust to eating high calorie meals for me too. I was used to "saving" calories where ever I could so I could eat more often. Now it's the exact opposite. I add calories to my meals in order to eat less frequently.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    I've found it very hard to reduce my vegetable consumption. I tried to eat 20 grams max of carbs for a while, but I missed veggies too much and was unwilling to give up dairy and nuts. Surprisingly, I have found it much less challenging to cut other carbs thanks to my dramatically increased fat intake. However, I still struggle with this mentally and won't feel better about it until I see what my lipids look like when I have my physical next month. I've upped my carbs a bit and am counting net carbs now. I'm still trying to find my carb 'sweet spot.'

How's it going since you switched your carb macros?
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread. I had to think for awhile on if there was anything I found myself doing, or that I missed. I have to say that I can't think of any right now. I have had the opposite problem, where I tend to go overboard in giving myself permission to have more butter, more fatty meat, cheese etc., and I grew up in the '70s and '80s, the era of Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons being the queen and king of no pain/no gain & "Farewell to fat", seeing my dad get told to consume no more butter and only egg white substitutes. "Whole grain" seemed like a healthful term to me until probably 2 years ago.

Also, kudos to all of you who live with others who aren't LCHF/keto! I live in a bubble where my entire existence is keto-friendly and there's nothing I could eat that could throw me off.

Being at home for Christmas was another story. I'm not so much tempted as I am just encouraged to relax - so I had to finally tell my family that one small 'relaxation' meal threw me off weight loss for almost 2 weeks.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Glad I found this thread. I had to think for awhile on if there was anything I found myself doing, or that I missed. I have to say that I can't think of any right now. I have had the opposite problem, where I tend to go overboard in giving myself permission to have more butter, more fatty meat, cheese etc., and I grew up in the '70s and '80s, the era of Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons being the queen and king of no pain/no gain & "Farewell to fat", seeing my dad get told to consume no more butter and only egg white substitutes. "Whole grain" seemed like a healthful term to me until probably 2 years ago.

Also, kudos to all of you who live with others who aren't LCHF/keto! I live in a bubble where my entire existence is keto-friendly and there's nothing I could eat that could throw me off.

Being at home for Christmas was another story. I'm not so much tempted as I am just encouraged to relax - so I had to finally tell my family that one small 'relaxation' meal threw me off weight loss for almost 2 weeks.

It's like living in a frickin horror movie (carbage popping up everywhere in your face out of nowhere), but you get used to it. I'm 2.5 years in, and it rarely phases me anymore. Pancakes? Don't care. Candy? Don't care. Chips? Pfffft. If I want chocolate, that's doable. Whiskey? Yup. So ummmm...chocolate, whiskey and fatty meat? Does anyone really require more than that? :lol:
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hardest thing for me is not getting delivery food! Also, I didn't find this particularly "hard to give up" but more so "training my brain to think differently" was that a lot of high-sugar fruits and fruit juices are just as bad for you as candy. Also related to that, whey protein powder does not need to be added to increase my protein while managing calorie intake (ie limiting fat), it's much better to get protein from whole foods and I likely get more than I really need. Lastly (hmm more than I thought once I start thinking about it), the notion of constantly eating so that your metabolism isn't slowed down even when you are not hungry because that's what I was told to do on the MF.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

It's like living in a frickin horror movie (carbage popping up everywhere in your face out of nowhere), but you get used to it. I'm 2.5 years in, and it rarely phases me anymore. Pancakes? Don't care. Candy? Don't care. Chips? Pfffft. If I want chocolate, that's doable. Whiskey? Yup. So ummmm...chocolate, whiskey and fatty meat? Does anyone really require more than that? :lol:

It does get to the point where it really doesn't matter. I am the only keto/carnivore in the house and we have carbage that would make people break out in sweats and tremors but its just crap to me so I don't eat it. My wife made spaghetti last night and got a fresh loaf of French bread to go with it and the only thing I ate was the sauce (since we always put meat in the sauce). I even cut the bread loaf for my wife, daughter and grand kids w/o even being tempted to eat any of it. Freaks my wife out that I have the control to do things like that, but it is what it is and it just comes naturally after awhile.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

It does get to the point where it really doesn't matter. I am the only keto/carnivore in the house and we have carbage that would make people break out in sweats and tremors but its just crap to me so I don't eat it. My wife made spaghetti last night and got a fresh loaf of French bread to go with it and the only thing I ate was the sauce (since we always put meat in the sauce). I even cut the bread loaf for my wife, daughter and grand kids w/o even being tempted to eat any of it. Freaks my wife out that I have the control to do things like that, but it is what it is and it just comes naturally after awhile.

I'm exactly the same way. I can cook that stuff for them and sit right there and it doesn't even register as being food to my brain.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Right there with you. My wife is amazed at the way I gave up the popcorn and ice cream over night. However, she is very happy I did given the improvement in my BG.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is the convenience of bread. It makes yummy things portable! Also, tortilla chips with my guac and salsa.