Breaking the non-Low Carb mind set

Options
2»

Replies

• elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Out of all the things in the world, I just miss chips and salsa! Haha. I suppose I could use pork rinds, but salsa isn't very keto friendly itself.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Being from the south, the hardest thing is grits. I looooove grits. Sausage gravy and biscuits were hard too until I made the sausage gravy for my kiddos with heavy cream and cream cheese to thicken it, then poured it over my fried egg. It was awesome, and I didn't feel deprived.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Glad I found this thread. I had to think for awhile on if there was anything I found myself doing, or that I missed. I have to say that I can't think of any right now. I have had the opposite problem, where I tend to go overboard in giving myself permission to have more butter, more fatty meat, cheese etc., and I grew up in the '70s and '80s, the era of Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons being the queen and king of no pain/no gain & "Farewell to fat", seeing my dad get told to consume no more butter and only egg white substitutes. "Whole grain" seemed like a healthful term to me until probably 2 years ago.

Also, kudos to all of you who live with others who aren't LCHF/keto! I live in a bubble where my entire existence is keto-friendly and there's nothing I could eat that could throw me off.

Being at home for Christmas was another story. I'm not so much tempted as I am just encouraged to relax - so I had to finally tell my family that one small 'relaxation' meal threw me off weight loss for almost 2 weeks.

It's like living in a frickin horror movie (carbage popping up everywhere in your face out of nowhere), but you get used to it. I'm 2.5 years in, and it rarely phases me anymore. Pancakes? Don't care. Candy? Don't care. Chips? Pfffft. If I want chocolate, that's doable. Whiskey? Yup. So ummmm...chocolate, whiskey and fatty meat? Does anyone really require more than that? :lol:

It does get to the point where it really doesn't matter. I am the only keto/carnivore in the house and we have carbage that would make people break out in sweats and tremors but its just crap to me so I don't eat it. My wife made spaghetti last night and got a fresh loaf of French bread to go with it and the only thing I ate was the sauce (since we always put meat in the sauce). I even cut the bread loaf for my wife, daughter and grand kids w/o even being tempted to eat any of it. Freaks my wife out that I have the control to do things like that, but it is what it is and it just comes naturally after awhile.

I'm exactly the same way. I can cook that stuff for them and sit right there and it doesn't even register as being food to my brain.

Exactly.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is the convenience of bread. It makes yummy things portable! Also, tortilla chips with my guac and salsa.

Oh guac is good on pork rinds. I do pork rind nachos too. So delicious. I could fit salsa into my carb count if I wanted it badly enough when I was keto. Now that I'm just LCHF, then I can fit some in regularly.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Out of all the things in the world, I just miss chips and salsa! Haha. I suppose I could use pork rinds, but salsa isn't very keto friendly itself.

Make your own salsa. If you just use peppers, you'd be amazed at how much of it you can eat. The hotter you like it, the easier it will be to accomplish.

For some salsa-esque condiments: http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2014/01/holy-keto-condiments-this-just-in-keto.html

Fair warning, the link is nsfw.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Being from the south, the hardest thing is grits. I looooove grits. Sausage gravy and biscuits were hard too until I made the sausage gravy for my kiddos with heavy cream and cream cheese to thicken it, then poured it over my fried egg. It was awesome, and I didn't feel deprived.

Having been born in the south and having lived their for half my life, I acquired a fondness for grits and biscuits/gravy. I feel your pain. The sliced hog jowl is still ok...

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Glad I found this thread. I had to think for awhile on if there was anything I found myself doing, or that I missed. I have to say that I can't think of any right now. I have had the opposite problem, where I tend to go overboard in giving myself permission to have more butter, more fatty meat, cheese etc., and I grew up in the '70s and '80s, the era of Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons being the queen and king of no pain/no gain & "Farewell to fat", seeing my dad get told to consume no more butter and only egg white substitutes. "Whole grain" seemed like a healthful term to me until probably 2 years ago.

Also, kudos to all of you who live with others who aren't LCHF/keto! I live in a bubble where my entire existence is keto-friendly and there's nothing I could eat that could throw me off.

Being at home for Christmas was another story. I'm not so much tempted as I am just encouraged to relax - so I had to finally tell my family that one small 'relaxation' meal threw me off weight loss for almost 2 weeks.

It's like living in a frickin horror movie (carbage popping up everywhere in your face out of nowhere), but you get used to it. I'm 2.5 years in, and it rarely phases me anymore. Pancakes? Don't care. Candy? Don't care. Chips? Pfffft. If I want chocolate, that's doable. Whiskey? Yup. So ummmm...chocolate, whiskey and fatty meat? Does anyone really require more than that? :lol:

It does get to the point where it really doesn't matter. I am the only keto/carnivore in the house and we have carbage that would make people break out in sweats and tremors but its just crap to me so I don't eat it. My wife made spaghetti last night and got a fresh loaf of French bread to go with it and the only thing I ate was the sauce (since we always put meat in the sauce). I even cut the bread loaf for my wife, daughter and grand kids w/o even being tempted to eat any of it. Freaks my wife out that I have the control to do things like that, but it is what it is and it just comes naturally after awhile.

I'm exactly the same way. I can cook that stuff for them and sit right there and it doesn't even register as being food to my brain.

Exactly.

I have not managed to wrap my stubborn, under-evolved noggin around the idea of preparing non-food for others.

"Honey, I made you some socks, stuffed binder clips, and crispy pages from Revelations for dinner." :s

OTOH, "would you like to join me for a gin & diet tonic?" seems to work fine. :*
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    What's IMO?

Oh, I have a hard time popping popcorn and not tossing the wayward kernels in my hole.

Also, testing pasta for correct al dente texture. I can't tell you how many kernels and noodles I've had to spit out!

Isomalto-ogilosaccharides, the "Fiber" used in Quest bars. Contrary to what was on the original patent papers, it's been shown to jack up blood sugar in diabetics.

So that's Frankenfiber

What makes it fiber at all?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Gallomere1984

Great Sauces on your blog, the chimichurri sounds especially great --- I've only ever had it at restaurants.

@Elephant2Mouse

Trader Joe's Parsnip Chips - but add extra salt on them , they can be worked into a Lc day if I plan ahead.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Meant to add, in our home we still have rice, pasta, cookies, ice cream etc, as mentioned above, my brain no longer registers those items as food.
    Thank Goodness that I don't care about them and I don't miss any of it. Now I'm not so sure they are or ever were edible.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is the convenience of bread. It makes yummy things portable! Also, tortilla chips with my guac and salsa.

Lettuce wrap everything!

Trade the salsa for queso. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    What's IMO?

Oh, I have a hard time popping popcorn and not tossing the wayward kernels in my hole.

Also, testing pasta for correct al dente texture. I can't tell you how many kernels and noodles I've had to spit out!

Isomalto-ogilosaccharides, the "Fiber" used in Quest bars. Contrary to what was on the original patent papers, it's been shown to jack up blood sugar in diabetics.

So that's Frankenfiber

What makes it fiber at all?

Almost nothing. It showed potential in lab tests to avoid breakdown by certain aspacts of the small intestine, but they left some out. Turns out, it's actually about 83% bioavailable, which is only marginally better than maltodextrin. The other 17 % does get broken down by the bacteria in the colon though, so at best, it could be called 20% fiber.

That said, Quest stopped using it about a year ago now, in favor of Soluble Corn Fiber, which is an actual fiber. Blood sugar spikes seem to be less of an issue now. The increases still seen seem to be pretty much in line with what one would expect from whey isolate.