Goblet squats-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-46X7X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4×15
    Sit ups-4×15
    Jumping jacks-4×15

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th- 25th
    In preparation for this challenge I will be reducing the amount of processed foods and foods high in sugar. Yes that includes some high natural sugary fruits. If you are interested in joining me I have created a thread with information about the keto diet. We will use that thread to communicate our accomplishments on as well as post our favorite recipes. Please bookmark it!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10507486/keto-3-week-challenge#latest

DDHFree - I do know that they have a protein powder made only from vegetables that you might be able to substitute for the 20% meat- protein. Kirstie's suggestion of eggs and fish as well as dairy would help you to get your fat and protein in. I did not gain my weight back after I went to Keto the first time. I continue to eat mainly whole foods after and still try to control my sweet tooth!

Kirstie - thanks for the feedback! Your expertise will be appreciated! I am hoping to prevent the flu like symptoms by reducing carbs slowly. I got this advice from the people on the keto thread. You have gone a little bit more extreme with zero carbs so it might take your body a little longer to adapt to this type of eating. Also the tiredness is generally associated with reducing carbs. The smoother the transition the less you will see side effects. Have you tried bullet proof coffee?

Amy-thanks for the suggestion of the low-carb group. That group and the keto group are the ones that gave me all the information that I needed to do it the first time.

There are conflicting reports on the need to be in a deficit to lose weight on this diet. Supposedly you do not need to count calories on the keto diet. That being said, the reason is that you are satiated and do not eat as much. I myself can really over eat food like eggs and bacon! Therefore, I definitely will be logging my food intake and staying within my calorie goal for losing 1-2lbs a week.

Mary
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The main source of keto flu, as I understand it, comes from the electrolyte imbalance. You need more sodium on a low carb diet, and keeping hydrated and salt-drated should help quite a bit.

Today's workout:

Squats 5x5 @ 120. This is hard enough that I'll stay here for one more workout and probably try for 125 on Monday.
    Benchpress: 5x5 @ 70
    Wretched Rows: 2x10 @ 85, 1x15 @ 85. I used a heavier bar with a smaller diameter today and that actually felt a little better. I may stick with that bar for rows in the future.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Thanks Amy!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Mary- I have tried bullet proof coffee in the past, but am trying to cut back on coffee in general (from 1-2 cups a day to most days none.) Thanks for the idea though!

And honestly I don't feel bad, its just a bit tired and like there is a sickness going around, that's all :) I did manage to get 2 workouts in already this week, which is so far a record for my January workouts!
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of information and all sounds very interesting. Amy, it's hard for me to imagine eating fish. I suppose I could for a SINGLE meal but I don't think I could do it for days at a time. I think I can definitely get enough protein from tofu and tempeh since it's not a high protein diet. As for fat, unless I am under estimating the satiety part, I just can't imagine having a problem getting in enough fat. Hopefully there are several nuts that are low enough in carbs that I can eat plenty and still get into ketosis. I will continue to research -- at least I have some time to decide. Can't wait to check out the thread. Thanks everyone.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Took an unplanned rest day yesterday then
    Got some kind of intestinal bug today but still managed to get my 5x5 done . Spread it out throughout the day. No walking but hope to do at least one mile. I'm on a streak and want to keep it going.

The keto sounds interesting. Good job everyone!
  • cherrybomb333
    cherrybomb333 Posts: 332 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    WEEK 4

DAY 2 - SHOULDERS

OHP
    Set 1: 45 lb x 3
    Set 2: 45 lb x 3
    Set 3: 50 lb x 10

Accessory lifts:

Concentrated Cable rows
    50 lb x 10 x 3

Supine-grip Pulldown
    50 lb x 10 x 3

Face Pulls
    30 lb x 10 x 3

Cardio:

Rowing Machine - 15 min
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    @DDHFree, I think it was someone else who mentioned fish :) As long as you have the minimum amount of protein and enough fat to fill you up, I think the rest usually takes care of itself. There's also this wonderful thing called a fat bomb, which often helps you hit both the daily dessert and daily fat quotas!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    @DDHFree, I think it was someone else who mentioned fish :) As long as you have the minimum amount of protein and enough fat to fill you up, I think the rest usually takes care of itself. There's also this wonderful thing called a fat bomb, which often helps you hit both the daily dessert and daily fat quotas!

Thanks Amy! I will check it out. Sorry about the mix up.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats- 1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR- -5X5X 85
    This is the first time that I have been up to 90 pounds on my squat since I deloaded due to not being able to go parallel last year. I went parallel just fine this time!

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X7X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4×15
    Sit ups-4×15
    Jumping jacks-4×15
    Weight and measurements will be taken on Saturday!

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th - 25th
    Set your macros to;
    Fat 75%
    Protein 20%
    Carbs 5%
    Continue to slowly reduce the amount of processed food and sugar. Check your nutrition chart to see how close you are to the Keto macros.

DDHFRee- I mentioned the fish! They are very high in healthy fat.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Happy lifting!! Will get mine in after along day of pushing and pulling on bodies today.....

This keto thing is interesting... Because I am always worried about going over 20% on fats. Being vegetarian it is really hard to not go over when you only do whole milk products and eat nuts on the daily. Now I am a bit more at peace with it all.... I feel better with less carbs too - like if I get more I get all spacy and headachy. So this info is relaxing!

• fanncy0626
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    Happy lifting!! Will get mine in after along day of pushing and pulling on bodies today.....

This keto thing is interesting... Because I am always worried about going over 20% on fats. Being vegetarian it is really hard to not go over when you only do whole milk products and eat nuts on the daily. Now I am a bit more at peace with it all.... I feel better with less carbs too - like if I get more I get all spacy and headachy. So this info is relaxing!

What is really interesting about fat is that the people that have been on expeditions to the north pole survive on eating only sticks of butter as their food source. I guess you have to think of it as when people are in the state of ketosis their bodies are using fat as fuel. Just like cholesterol our bodies also need fat including animal fat and salt. Your 20% over is probably healthy for you! And if you are a vegetarian you're ingesting what most people think of as healthy fats.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Not feeling well today ladies-feeling sicky with a sore throat, fatigue and an upset stomach.

As for working out today, I am going to skip it. My weekly goal is 2 workouts, and I have already done 2. My leg pain has flared up again, and Im not sure if its because of the frequency of my squats, or adding weight or both? Maybe my form isnt good? I think I might record myself doing squats at a lower weight because I think I flare my knees out, which might be contributing to the pain? I dont want to keep adding weight if it increases my pain. :/
  • DDHFree
    Options
    So sorry you do not feel well Kirstie. Please, please listen to your body so that you do not prolong the pain any longer than necessary.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Ladies - I do have to apologize for not being on here as much as I should and not working out like I'd planned. I'm going through some major things at home and I'm just... exhausted. I'm so... depleted. :disappointed: I'm sorry!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Sorry things are not going well Tiffany. Take care of yourself and join us when you can. I hope things are better for you very soon. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Sorry things are not going well Tiffany. Take care of yourself and join us when you can. I hope things are better for you very soon. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thank you. At this point, I just have to hold on tight and make this as painless as possible for the kids (and myself). Thank you!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    Not feeling well today ladies-feeling sicky with a sore throat, fatigue and an upset stomach.

As for working out today, I am going to skip it. My weekly goal is 2 workouts, and I have already done 2. My leg pain has flared up again, and Im not sure if its because of the frequency of my squats, or adding weight or both? Maybe my form isnt good? I think I might record myself doing squats at a lower weight because I think I flare my knees out, which might be contributing to the pain? I dont want to keep adding weight if it increases my pain. :/

Hope you feel better soon!
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @Kirstie155 Wellness and good vibes ur way. Great to get in ur workouts prior to ur sickness, wishing it to pass quickly for you.

Sticks of butter, I could do that. Nice! Will never have reason as North Pole adventure tho.

Strong lifts today:
    No progression on weight, long day, muscles don't have it in em. Tried

Squats: 40#
    Ohp: 15 - 20#, these are worse ???
    Deadlift: 70#

W/ 1 hr walk/jog

Zzzzzzzz.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 4 Workout: #3

Deadlifts 100 lb 4 × 6

Shoulder Press 39 lb 4 × 6

Bentover DB Rows 30 lbs 4 x 6 My neck stopped hurting once I stopped doing the inverted rows. But again, I'm sure I was doing them incorrectly.

Wow, can't believe I've already completed the last strength training session of the first 4 weeks. Time really does go by fast. With that in mind ,remember, that 20 weeks will come regardless as time waits for no one, so it's up to us what state we are in when it gets here.

Go team Finish_No_Matter_What