Keto 3 Week Challenge

fanncy0626
fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
edited January 2017 in Challenges
First! Bookmark this thread! I'm so glad you are interested in going keto with me for three weeks. They created this thread so that we can communicate daily on here and not interfere with any of the other thread. It would be also a great place to share your favorite food ideas. I posted some important information below.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/01/03/Keto-Diet-Food-List-What-to-Eat-and-Avoid

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/16/ketogenic-diet-benefits.aspx

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/support-files/kd-basics.pdf

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/ketogenic-diet-weakens-cancer-cells/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213231714000925

Replies

• azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Thanks Mary! I am looking forward to learning more about Keto.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Im not adept at posting links, but here are a few more resources for you.......

Rule.me
    Ketovangist.com

There is also a keto group under MFP groups. It's a sister group to the LowCarb forum group. I found these very helpful when I started out .
  • fanncy0626
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Im not adept at posting links, but here are a few more resources for you.......

Rule.me
    Ketovangist.com

There is also a keto group under MFP groups. It's a sister group to the LowCarb forum group. I found these very helpful when I started out .

Thanks for the added information! There is a lot of personal experience and insight from those groups. That may be helpful to others that have not eaten this way before.
  • pwrfl1
    edited January 2017
    Correction! Ruled.me

This site has a downloadable menu plan that takes you week by week for a month. It's based on 1500 calories for women. I found it difficult to eat that much at times, and that my friends is joy of keto eating.....You're just not as hungry ! The plan is a free will offering, so you can enter zero in the pay field if you wish.

Edit - at least I think it's 1500 calories, could be less too. It's been awhile since I've visited the site. The recipes are yummy !
  • fanncy0626
    Pwrlf1- fantastic! I will definitely look at it and read some of the information. It is nice to get food ideas from other people. I went basic fat, meat, green veg last time. It is nice to see what other people that have been doing it for a while eat.
  • pwrfl1
    edited January 2017
    Through my journey, I've gone simple and I've tried recipes .....and found several that make a regular appearance in my menu now. Something I have not done was try to keto-ize a sweet treat or make a lot of bread substitutes. I come from a diabetic lineage, so I'm hesitant to add even stevia. My next step is to buy a ketone/ blood sugar monitor and start testing different food responses so I know how my insulin spikes. I have not been diagnosed diabetic, but I suspect I was close when I was at my heaviest. Im sure I'm insulin resistant , so that is why I chose keto. Now that I'm closer to my goal, I want to tweak the basic plan so I can enjoy more variety of foods without undoing my hard work.
    I would like to lose about 10-15 pounds more of body fat, and wear a couple of sizes smaller than I am now, and it seems like my body is resisting! Ha! That's why this accountability challenge is great motivator for me, it will keep the carb creep down !
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    pwrfl1- I have a lot of recipes for Keto chocolate chip cookies and things like that using the Stevia. I tried them and they were gross! I heard from a different source don't know where but they suggest not to try to make the sweet treats at first. It's better to go with just whole foods. Eat natural healthy fat meat and full dairy.
  • azsundancer
    I have read some of the ketodietapp .. wow there is so much information there, loads of links. I will be a work in progress.

At first glance.. Keto seems doable for me from what I have read with a few exceptions, such as sugar and milk (which can be cream) for my coffee, bananas, apples and peanut butter is a must .. which I guess there are alternatives like almond butter?

• azsundancer
    Through my journey, I've gone simple and I've tried recipes .....and found several that make a regular appearance in my menu now. Something I have not done was try to keto-ize a sweet treat or make a lot of bread substitutes. I come from a diabetic lineage, so I'm hesitant to add even stevia. My next step is to buy a ketone/ blood sugar monitor and start testing different food responses so I know how my insulin spikes. I have not been diagnosed diabetic, but I suspect I was close when I was at my heaviest. Im sure I'm insulin resistant , so that is why I chose keto. Now that I'm closer to my goal, I want to tweak the basic plan so I can enjoy more variety of foods without undoing my hard work.
    I would like to lose about 10-15 pounds more of body fat, and wear a couple of sizes smaller than I am now, and it seems like my body is resisting! Ha! That's why this accountability challenge is great motivator for me, it will keep the carb creep down !

"Keep the carb creep down" :)
  • pwrfl1
    @BeLLe_60. I love the ketodietapp! It's a great resource for sure!
  • azsundancer
    I calcuated.. what are your ratios?

pcm1j8l4xd7o.png
  • azsundancer
    @BeLLe_60. I love the ketodietapp! It's a great resource for sure!

Yes it is.. Someone spent alot of time putting it together!
  • fanncy0626
    Did you get the keto diet app free anywhere?
  • fanncy0626
    Macro ratios are
    Fat 70-75%
    Protein 15-20%
    Carbs 5-10%

So your example is excellent!
  • pwrfl1
    It's online.....ketodietapp.com. I use her calculator when Im figuring out my macros.
  • fanncy0626
    Thanks! I went there and it is a very interesting site! Thanks for the information!
  • azsundancer
    @fanncy0626 I saw the app I will have to look again. Thank you for your suggested macros. I am going to use the small calorie deficit I beleive?

@pwfl1 Thank you for your help!

This is a new way of eating and keeping track .. I am excited to learrn and look forward to some positive changes it could bring!
  • pwrfl1
    Just remember percentages are tricky....it's based on over all calories which is variable. It's better to go by grams. Ketodietapp has a calculator that's pretty cool that will give you where you should be based on grams. If you eat those grams, the percentages will work out.

At first, I wouldn't worry about the calories, just make sure you get in the healthy fats so you feel full while cutting out the carbs that cause cravings. If you can for go the items that you listed as possible problems for you, ( at least at first ). I think you will be successful.
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    pwrfl1- thanks for the advice! Nice to have your experience to help us get into ketosis smoothly!

Mary
  • cathie2903
    cathie2903 Posts: 85 Member
    Hi Guys! Can I join in??