Options

Replies

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Thank you Iwhayes.

This morning the stick showed keto level between 40 and 80 which is between moderate and large. The other thing that surprised me was that it turned immediately to that color. Didn't need to wait 15 seconds. In addition, I dropped another pound. I guess it has to be water because we can't metabolize fat that quickly. Right? One more thing, my sleep is deeper and I love the feeling of that.

If you are in Ketosis and have ketones in your urine stream you are already metabolizing fat. Congratulations!
    Just so hard for me to believe -- this is completely new to me but I am liking it.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lwhayes820. I do different things depending on what's in the fridge ;). But basically, I like 1-2 tbs coconut oil , and some heavy whipping creame, and a sprinkle or two of stevia. Or unsweetened almond milk or coconut creame instead of the hwc. There are different flavors of the liquid stevia, like almond, Carmel or vanilla that is also nice. I only use stevia bc it doesn't make my insulin spike, and I use very little at a time. I use a milk frother or blender to mix it all up, otherwise you have an oil slick at the top. I especially love chai tea and this combination. It's way better than Starbucks chai latte and way better for you too

• pwrfl1
    Options
    As you progress through the weeks on keto you may find that the Keto sticks are not as dark and only showing a trace amount.....that is a good thing ! It means your liver is in the progress of adapting it's enzymes to better utilize the ketones as fuel, and is now using more ketones, instead of spilling the excess into your urine. And please don't worry about how dark or light it gets....deeper colors does not equate to deeper fat loss.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1- thanks for the information about Keto sticks!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Thank you Iwhayes.

This morning the stick showed keto level between 40 and 80 which is between moderate and large. The other thing that surprised me was that it turned immediately to that color. Didn't need to wait 15 seconds. In addition, I dropped another pound. I guess it has to be water because we can't metabolize fat that quickly. Right? One more thing, my sleep is deeper and I love the feeling of that.

If you are in Ketosis and have ketones in your urine stream you are already metabolizing fat. Congratulations!
    Just so hard for me to believe -- this is completely new to me but I am liking it.

You are doing Awesome !!

• fanncy0626
    Options
    I hope everyone is prepped and ready to go! Tomorrow is Keto Day! Everyone here will see great success in just 3 short weeks!

pwrfl1- thanks for the food choices!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    It's SATURDAY! Pre Super Bowl, Pre Keto Challenge.....How are you all doing ? Do you have the keto groceries and supplies? Menus plotted ? Before pictures taken ? Measurements tracked ?

Speaking of Super Bowl, did you realize pretty much what is considered super bowl worthy food is keto???!!!! Can I get an AMEN ? Think about it.....Wings and Blue Cheese- yep! Bacon wrapped weinies- yep!, Layered taco salad- yep, Grilled ribs- heck yes! Bacon wrapped jalapeños - Yumm , Creamy dips- yes ( just use the veggies as a carrier to your mouth), Nuts -yep, Cheese cake bites- yep ( if you're the one make ing it keto style ), Salami and Cheese tray- just set that baby right in front of me! :). Deli sliced ham and cheese stick roll ups- yep, Grilled brats- the good kind from the meat case, not the pre cooked Hillshire farms kind....yep

Like to partake in a few spirits ? Vodka, tequila, Gin are low carb, try mixing it with laCrouix, or Zevia products,...or diet soda if in a pinch.

Things that aren't keto - Chips, Breads,Pasta, most Sweets and Sauces, beer. My family loves BBQ sauces...store bought can be tricky but there are brands with low sugar , if you're hosting look for the lowest carb you can find or make your own keto style . No one will ever know. Need something sweet? - bring your own dark chocolate - anything over 75% ...or Look for Lily's Chocolate bars, my personal favorite made with Stevia. They also make chocolate chips! I found these at my health food store.

Please pass .. the salami and cheese please.... ;)
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think I'm going to have the jalapeño poppers!
    I will have to try the chocolate bar!
  • azsundancer
    Options
    I hope everyone is prepped and ready to go! Tomorrow is Keto Day! Everyone here will see great success in just 3 short weeks!

Mary

Darn I just lost my post..

I am kinda feeling overwhelmed.. This is turning my way of thinking and eating on its ear.. such as fat is bad and adding it to my meals. I am not a big meat eater .. so I see this as a carb cutting mostly. Picking the few meats I like... bacon for sure and I bought lots of top sirloin my DH will grill. Salami is going on my grocery list asap.

• pwrfl1
    Options
    I think I'm going to have the jalapeño poppers!
    I will have to try the chocolate bar!
    I found the chocolate bar among the " health food" bar section of grocery store.
  • pwrfl1
    edited February 2017
    Options
    BeLLe_60 wrote: »

Mary

I am kinda feeling overwhelmed.. This is turning my way of thinking and eating on its ear.. such as fat is bad and adding it to my meals. I am not a big meat eater .. so I see this as a carb cutting mostly. Picking the few meats I like... bacon for sure and I bought lots of top sirloin my DH will grill. Salami is going on my grocery list asap.
    . You are absolutely correct, it IS a carb cutting way to eat. And in doing that , you eliminate the processed foods, several inflammation causing grains, and highly addicting sugars! What's different than basic low carb eating, One, it is based on whole foods not low carb substitutes you buy in the store..if you want to keto ize a recipe then make your own. Two,is that you are limiting your carbs even further to kick in your body's ability in using fat for fuel. So the daily focus is - Carb macros, under or at carb max. Protein macros, at your gram count( which is based on your lean body mass and activity needs) Fat macros eat until satiety.

Now I will say, there are LOTS of different takes on the eat fat to satiety part....some will advocate eat double the fats then protein, or there abouts.....some say hit 200 gr of fat every day, Some say eat slightly above or same as your protein...... The thing is, this is highly individual. You need to find out your own sweet spot!

I advocate for the first few weeks not worrying about calories, ( high or low ) just hit those carb counts, and eat till full on the rest....if you're hungry eat - if you're not don't....I have missed many of meals because I just wasn't hungry. That in itself was mind blowing to me ! This is not eat 5 times a day sort of plan, that is for carb suckers. Aim for three meals but listen to your body and don't eat if your not hungry.

You'll get there....just take one day at a time, one meal at a time!

Edit: I realize this is a 21 day challenge, so some of you may just be into testing out this way of eating. For me, I've been doing this for quite some time now so I have a different perspective.
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi , new to this, I just started two days ago, cutting carbs , high the fat and medium the protein, three meals, there are so many food products containing carbs, oh boy
    But let's hope I will enter in ketossis, after so many days I should expect to see something?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    BeLLe_60 wrote: »

Mary

I understand completely! That is why I limit the challenge to 3 weeks. I love carbs but I know that keeping my body in good shape also includes keeping its natural processes in good shape as well. Fat burning is a natural process that should take place along side of carb burning. My whole life I probably was only a carb burner. This is a great way to get rid of belly fat that is extremely unhealthy. Fat is essential for brain health and new studies show it doesn't cause heart disease. Belly fat does- this gets rid of belly fat!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20151109/belly-fat-is-bad-even-at-a-normal-weight

Check my diary out to see how I get my fat in. If everyone on here could open their diaries for others to get ideas from that would be great!
    Weigh yourself and take your measurements! Go shopping and prep-meals! Know what you are going to eat in advance.

Good luck everyone!

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2017
    Options
    pessxx wrote: »
    Hi , new to this, I just started two days ago, cutting carbs , high the fat and medium the protein, three meals, there are so many food products containing carbs, oh boy
    But let's hope I will enter in ketossis, after so many days I should expect to see something?

Welcome! I cut out all processed foods except bacon and sausage. Usually the carbs are low enough. It is better to go whole food then you can control your carbs. Make sure you take your measurements. That is where you may see your first big change. When I did this before I was losing over 4 pounds a week. My husband lost 6-7 pounds per week. We did not gain any of this back when we stopped. You might want to buy keto sticks to determine if you are in ketosis.

http://www.netrition.com/lowcarb_newbies_ketosis.html

Mary
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Grass fed animals is suggested not required to go into ketosis. To counteract the omega 6 from grain fed you can take omega 3 supplements 800-1200mg/day if you want. I never have taken any and my last check I was excellent!
  • azsundancer
    Options
    Thanks again ...@pwrfl1 and @fanncy0626 for sharing you knowledge and experiences it is much appreciated. I will open my diary, I have my measurements from a month ago.. and will read - read the last few days of posts so they will be assorted more.
  • azsundancer
    Options
    Welcome @pessxx!
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    thanks!