Keto 3 Week Challenge

Options

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    KandyKnd wrote: »
    I have done low carb (south beach) successfully in the past but it seems like now I can't even get through 2 days. All of this love of coconut oil - I like coconut but I don't want things I cook to taste like it - are there brands that don't taste as much? I also can't tolerate a lot of fiber and have lactose issues so need help in what to eat when I try Keto. Any ideas for me?
    The flavor for coconut oil varies between refined and unrefined, but for the life I me I can't remember which is which ! You might need to google that one. A lot of people have fiber issues, and just go protein and fats with maybe a few veggies. Check out carnivore or very low carb on the low carb daily group..my hubby has problems with different veggies, so we only use the ones he can handle and we haven't had any issues. When you use full fat dairy such as heavy whipping cream, there is very little lactose compared to milk....some get by with just using butter and cheeses in their menu with little problems, and then there are some that can only use butter....on the ketodietapp.com and healthfulpursuit.com has menus for dairy free. You can absolutely adapt this way of eating to work with dietary restraints....
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Kilika - fantastic video! Thank you so much for posting that. That would be very helpful to people to understand the scientific process.
    I have done low carb (south beach) successfully in the past but it seems like now I can't even get through 2 days. All of this love of coconut oil - I like coconut but I don't want things I cook to taste like it - are there brands that don't taste as much? I also can't tolerate a lot of fiber and have lactose issues so need help in what to eat when I try Keto. Any ideas for me?

I hate the taste of coconut too. I haven't really noticed a strong coconut flavor in the coconut oil I use. I do use a lot of extra virgin olive oil and butter (not good for your lactose intolerance). I also save and use my bacon grease. Supposedly animal fats have gotten a bad rap just like eggs and cholesterol. Broccoli, avocado, nuts, and seeds are a good source of fiber. If you are having issues with constipation make sure you are drinking plenty of water. In Epson salt bath with magnesium is also great for staying regular.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-choose-a-good-coconut-oil/

If anybody else has any suggestions please chime in!

Mary
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options

I use unrefined organic coconut oil in my morning coffee. It takes some getting use to .. but I like it now.
  • azsundancer
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Kilika - fantastic video! Thank you so much for posting that. That would be very helpful to people to understand the scientific process.

I hate the taste of coconut too. I haven't really noticed a strong coconut flavor in the coconut oil I use. I do use a lot of extra virgin olive oil and butter (not good for your lactose intolerance). I also save and use my bacon grease. Supposedly animal fats have gotten a bad rap just like eggs and cholesterol. Broccoli, avocado, nuts, and seeds are a good source of fiber. If you are having issues with constipation make sure you are drinking plenty of water. In Epson salt bath with magnesium is also great for staying regular.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-choose-a-good-coconut-oil/

If anybody else has any suggestions please chime in!

Mary

For constipation... water and then more water and I buy Mezzetta peperoncini's in the big jar and try to eat 3 or more each day.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Thanks BeLLe!
  • azsundancer
    Options
    Thanks BeLLe!

:)
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    You might find your digestion/ number2 changing with this way of eating. For one thing, you are eating cleaner and your body is utilitizing almost every ounce of food so you may " go" less frequently or have less volume....I know many people have the opposite effect, because of the added fats....this usually happens at first, because you body is going through major change. You may also find yourself peeing a lot....that's why keeping your electrolytes balanced is very important.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    pwrfl1 - thanks for the information! I found but that I was constipated and actually it was a lowering of volume like you mentioned. Any tips on how you get your fat requirement in? Any favorite food or meals? I find that I pre-plan so I can check out how it fits my macros. I usually get the fat in by adding it to my cooking or by eating fat bombs.

Today my plan is to check out the recipes in the cookbooks I downloaded from the ketodietapp.com website. This should be fun because I love looking at cookbooks!

Mary
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Mary, I do the same as you.....I add fats to cooking or to my hot tea / coffee. I'm currently watching my dairy intake, so no heavy whipping cream or cheese for me right now. I try to eat an avocado a day.
    Coconut oil, olive oil, bacon renderings, and butter are my go to's. I'm substituting my hwc fix with coconut cream/milk, unsweetened almond milk in some cases. I've found that, all though I love nuts, they don't always love me and cause me stomach distress and bloating at times, so I've laid off of those as well. I have a friend that eats a spoonful of coconut oil right before bed, she says it's keeps her hunger at bay through out the night which was a problem for her.

My favorite fat bomb is jalapeño poppers....I season cream cheese with onion, garlic salt, mix in shredded cheddar, I scoop that into jalapeño halves and then wrap with bacon. Bake in the oven until cheese is bubbling them finish under broiler to crisp the bacon.

I love, LOVE reading cookbooks too ! So glad I'm not the only one! Pinterest has been instrumental in finding new recipes and keto loving bloggers....
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    pwrfl1- your jalapeño poppers sound delicious! I am definitely going to make those! My husband and I usually get something similar as an appetizer at the sports bar. Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad you are here with your suggestions and experience.

Mary
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Yesterday
    Fats: 70%
    Protein:16%
    Carbs: 28 gms / 14%

Also, definitely in ketosis according to the keto sticks. Also, show 1 pound loss already enough though I'm sure it's just water.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Yesterday
    Fats: 70%
    Protein:16%
    Carbs: 28 gms / 14%

Also, definitely in ketosis according to the keto sticks. Also, show 1 pound loss already enough though I'm sure it's just water.

Probably fat if you're in ketosis!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Also, show 1 pound loss already eventhough I'm sure it's just water.

Probably fat if you're in ketosis!

Just reading that it could possibly be fat loss makes me super giddy!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Update on my two friends I introduced to Keto last fall. Back story, both started at mid 200's, 50 yr old, lots of aches and pains, inflammation etc....they both started a light workout program when they started keto, mostly aerobic using a seated eleiptical type machine.
    One has lost 25 1/2 pounds. And tons of inches. 10 of that was in the first 14 days. Now some will say that's not a whole lot given it was 5 months time....BUT I say, that is a 5 pound loss average per month!!!! Pretty darn cool in my book. The other isn't weighing in, but she's definately seeing results in her body shape. She had the most ailments, and many of those are now almost non existent.

This just goes to show that Weightloss is so individual . What works for you, may not work for someone else, and results vary. I think It really depends on how messed up you were internally....be it out of whack hormones, insulin resistance, pcos, adrenal fatigue, thyroid issues, the list goes on....sometimes the body needs to heal internally before you will see it on the scale.

My suggestion is to take measurements and photos as well as scale weight when you start. If the scale is not moving, snap a picture and compare side by side....you might just be surprised with what you see!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    If you are a type of person that likes to weigh in daily, try the app Happy Scales....it gives you a trending weight loss as well as actual weight loss. We all know weight loss is not lineal....there are lots of ups and downs, but this app has allowed me to see my weight loss as an over all downward trend and that helps me wrap my brain around scale fluctuations.
  • azsundancer
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all the suggestions!! Please keep them coming.

@pwrfl1 Yes your jalapeño poppers sound ... wonderful!
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @pwrfl1 - update on your friends -- VERY inspiring! Who would say that's not a lot of weight loss??? That's amazing. And, you're right, everyone is different. This is a great way of eating. We have to be patient AND kind to our bodies. I don't mean that we shouldn't push for results -- but, be patient and work the process and it sounds like the results WILL come. They come at the rate that makes sense for your body - but, we have to stay the course.

Thanks so much!

Those jalepeno poppers sound delightful and tasty - will be trying those!

@fanncy0626 - another thing we have in common -- love cookbooks! Have so many!

Will also be checking out Pinterest for recipes! Thanks guys!
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @DDHFree - Congrats on being ketosis! I need to get sticks...forgot about that!

@pwrfl1 - my cookbook living friend, too :) , did I see that you put something in your tea? I'm not a coffee drinker - but love tea. Green, black, white, oolong, you name it! Will sometimes put a little Rick sugar or honey to sweeten. Never thought to put cream or fat in it. Can you elaborate more on your tea combos, please?
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Thank you Iwhayes.

This morning the stick showed keto level between 40 and 80 which is between moderate and large. The other thing that surprised me was that it turned immediately to that color. Didn't need to wait 15 seconds. In addition, I dropped another pound. I guess it has to be water because we can't metabolize fat that quickly. Right? One more thing, my sleep is deeper and I love the feeling of that.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Thank you Iwhayes.

This morning the stick showed keto level between 40 and 80 which is between moderate and large. The other thing that surprised me was that it turned immediately to that color. Didn't need to wait 15 seconds. In addition, I dropped another pound. I guess it has to be water because we can't metabolize fat that quickly. Right? One more thing, my sleep is deeper and I love the feeling of that.

If you are in Ketosis and have ketones in your urine stream you are already metabolizing fat. Congratulations!