Keto 3 Week Challenge

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Tossing my 2 cents' worth in here...if people don't want to eat processed foods, this challenge is perfectly do-able by eating fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, full fat dairy, fresh and frozen vegetables, and a few berries. We can use canola oil, avocado oil, and olive oil if we prefer to avoid saturated fats. Having said this, I will say that I had a very successful weight loss several years ago on a high fat diet that included bacon, pork sausage, steak, butter, and coconut oil. And my cholesterol profile was amazing afterwards, not that it was bad to start with. HDL was way up, triglycerides and LDL way down, and total cholesterol was down. I can't say this is how it will work for others, you understand, this is just my experience. I actually feel better when I stick to fish, poultry, eggs, and veggies, so that's probably going to be my approach this time with some bacon splurges...because I can!

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Karen- thanks for the great food ideas and options. The main thing I have questions about is what is your go to to get enough fat in ? I like cream cheese fat bombs. Helps with my sweet tooth. Any suggestions? Great results on your cholesterol!!

Mary
  • 44scoobydoo
    44scoobydoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge. I started the ketonic diet a few days ago. As a cancer survivor I wanted to cut out all processed foods and sugar. I still eat fruits as they are full of nutrients and vitamins that help my system fight cancer cells. I need to find a low carb barbeque sauce asap as my hubby is doing his famous ribs. Thank you so much for posting ideas for super bowl! For wings are you baking them or frying them?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge. I started the ketonic diet a few days ago. As a cancer survivor I wanted to cut out all processed foods and sugar. I still eat fruits as they are full of nutrients and vitamins that help my system fight cancer cells. I need to find a low carb barbeque sauce asap as my hubby is doing his famous ribs. Thank you so much for posting ideas for super bowl! For wings are you baking them or frying them?

Welcome to our group! This is a great eating program for a cancer survivor! Cancer thrives on carbs so by restricting them you can kill them off. I posted an article on this in one of my first post. I will talk to my husband about a low-carb barbecue sauce! He makes his own barbecue sauce but I know he put brown sugar in it! He owned his own restaurant for 18 years and is still in the food industry. Hopefully he will have an idea! I myself just sprinkle them with Frank's red hot!

Mary
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Mary - AVOCADOS !! Pork Belly and Hormel Side pork. Both have huge fat to protein numbers
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Welcome! And congratulations on being a cancer survivor !!! I've done the wings both ways. Fried in good ole fashioned lard. You can do an egg dip and seasoned almond/ coconut flour coating, or add seasoning (garlic, onion powder, Parmesan are my favs) or hot sauce to melted butter , and give them a bath after cooking .
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Good luck everyone! Today is day 1! I plan on enjoying great Keto options during the Super Bowl game! Naked wings with rubs and pwrfl1 has a link to BBQ sauce and options for other yummy wings. I'm excited I loss .8 lb this morning. I'm pretty sure I was already in ketosis since I have been practicing the last couple of days. We are very lucky to have a lot of support from ladies that have been doing this for a while. If you need any advice ask there are no dumb questions!
    Weigh and take measurements, and pictures are a great way to see your results!

pwrfl1- thanks for the information! Your wing suggestions made me hungry.

Mary
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Mary - You're most welcome ! That's the downside with reading cookbooks and recipes, it's gets us hungry !!

I've pre logged and so far things are looking good. Have a great day you all !!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I am in ketosis according to the Keto stick! This was a very smooth transition. Don't forget the salt!
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hey all .. just working on my grocery list for tomorrow and checking out "fat bomb" recipies on YouTube. :) Which is almost addictive as MFP! Enjoy the game and treats for those who are watching.
  • azsundancer
    Options
    I was looking into stevia also .. any ideas on brands, organic vs not, powder or liquid form? Sweet Leaf looked good to me.

• fanncy0626
    edited February 2017
    Options
    BeLLe- if you find any really good recipes let me know! I love fat bombs I eat them to ensure I get enough fat. I like the whipped cream cheese rolled in cocoa powder. I keep them in the freezer.
  • azsundancer
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    BeLLe- if you find any really good recipes let me know! I love fat bombs I eat them to ensure I get enough fat. I like the whipped cream cheese rolled in cocoa powder. I keep them in the freezer.

OMGoodness.. I didn't see those yet, .. I will look and share if I do. I wasn't sure what they were? I saw some with cream cheese, coconut oil, butter, lemon and stevia that looked pretty simple. The peanut butter and chocolate looked yummy also.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited February 2017
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Karen- thanks for the great food ideas and options. The main thing I have questions about is what is your go to to get enough fat in ? I like cream cheese fat bombs. Helps with my sweet tooth. Any suggestions? Great results on your cholesterol!!

Mary

Cream cheese is so yummy! When I did this previously I ate frozen peanut butter/coconut oil/cocoa/Macadamia nut bombs. Also bulletproof coffee or tea. Now the thought is slightly nauseating, LOL! This time I am inclined to get fat from fatty fish, olive oil, avocados, salad dressing, Macadamia nuts, cream, and whole milk Greek yogurt. If I can't get enough fat that way I will do a version of bulletproof tea. Today I ate ham & cheese for breakfast, raw veggies and dip for lunch, and chicken wings and more raw veggies & dip for dinner. Drank unsweetened tea. Feeling fine. Haven't looked at my macros yet.

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Karen- fantastic food choices. I enter meal by meal and find good combinations to hit my macros. I use the bombs to ensure hitting the fat macro. I'm still having difficulty with that. That's why I add a lot of olive oil when I cook. I'll have to get some macadamia nuts they are really yummy! Thanks for the info. Do you make your own salad dressing? Mayonnaise?

Mary
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm just finding this now! Have been doing Keto with/without 18:6 intermittent fasting. Also avoiding snacking, so aiming for low calorie counts, around 1200 a day. I don't have much more appetite than that!

I've done a more restrictive low carb low calorie (Bernstein) and felt awful. This time I'm just listening to hunger cues and it works great!

My only advice from past experience is that some people don't get rid of the headaches - when I'm super low carb and low calorie I get migraines. I take 2 Slow K a day and it helps a ton. You will just pee any excess so it's safe.

Good luck everyone!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    ideliver wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm just finding this now! Have been doing Keto with/without 18:6 intermittent fasting. Also avoiding snacking, so aiming for low calorie counts, around 1200 a day. I don't have much more appetite than that!

I've done a more restrictive low carb low calorie (Bernstein) and felt awful. This time I'm just listening to hunger cues and it works great!

My only advice from past experience is that some people don't get rid of the headaches - when I'm super low carb and low calorie I get migraines. I take 2 Slow K a day and it helps a ton. You will just pee any excess so it's safe.

Good luck everyone!

Glad you are here! You'll be able to help some of us new to this! Thanks for the remedy for headaches!

Mary
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Mary Today I just used commercially available Ranch veggie dip. I like Marie's Blue Cheese Dressing (fewer carbs) and Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette (more carbs). Also Hellman's Olive Oil Mayo. Those are my favorites. Sometimes I make my own, but not usually. I make one with sour cream, lemon juice, & dill and some other herbs, which is great for making a seafood salad. I also love egg salad or deviled eggs made with cream, butter or mayo and black olives. Yum! I love coleslaw made with either Wishbone Italian or Mayo. Very satisfying crunchy chewiness. If you like eggplant, it can soak up a tremendous amount of olive oil while it cooks and it tastes very yummy when it is all browned up and saturated with olive oil. Talk about a fat bomb! 4 oz of eggplant is 3 net grams carbs, 28 calories and it acts like an olive oil sponge. If you really want it to be yummy you can dip it in egg and Parmesan before you cook it in olive oil.

I know it's going to be crucial to weigh, measure & log everything because even with a 10% carb allowance the carbs add up - there are a few carbs in dairy, a few in eggs, a few in salad dressing...and I don't want to have to give up any of my veggies, seeing as how I consider them to be my healthiest carb source.

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Karen- I'm going to make your egg salad that sounds awesome! Thanks for the recipe! I have never had egg plant. I'll have to try it. You're right weighing and measuring is something I have to do or I'd over eat.

Mary