Keto 3 Week Challenge

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Mary Hi, I am thinking of doing this with you as I know you have had tremendous success with it. So did I a few years back but couldn't maintain.

Just to clarify, the carbs are net carbs, correct?

Karen
  • KingstonJack3
    KingstonJack3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm ready!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    cathie- of course you can! Very excited to become a fat burning machine! Have you done this before? If not read the information. The ketodietapp.com is also interesting. Start cutting out processed foods and sugar. We are fortunate to have ladies with experience to help with our transition.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Mary Hi, I am thinking of doing this with you as I know you have had tremendous success with it. So did I a few years back but couldn't maintain.

Karen

I was reading about that last night. Yes net carbs. The ketodietapp.com had great information about that.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    jackpro81 wrote: »
    I'm ready!!

Fantastic! Glad to have you.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Very important that we get prepared for this change in our bodies. We will be having our bodies convert from a carb burning to a fat burning machine! Your body will actually be going into a state of ketosis. We want to make this transition as smooth as possible. To check where you are at right now as far as your macros change your macros on here to;
    Fat 75%
    Protein 20%
    Carbs 5%
    You will be able to look at your nutrition pie chart and see how you are eating now aligns with those macros.
    Throw everything that you have heard about FAT out the window! And especially animal fat! Studies show that fat is essential for brain health! It also cuts down on joint inflammation. Cutting out sugar and processed foods will do this as well. Don't worry about cholesterol or your arteries getting clogged. It just won't happen. Salt will also be your friend. Especially at the beginning make sure that you use salt daily to make sure your body is getting enough electrolytes.

Pwrfl1- is a great asset as well as the other ladies on here that have done this before. If you have any additional suggestions for preparation let us know!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Fatigue, headaches, general crabbiness, weakness, leg cramps is all a result of not enough electrolytes. Because you are cutting out the processed foods and foods that turn to sugar in your body quickly, the body goes through a transformation...simply said, you pee a lot. This depletes your electrolytes.....you will need to supplement with sea salt or Himalayan salt, magnesium and potassium. There are receipes for Keto-aide ( Gatorade) on the web....other ideas are No Salt, avacados, Natures Calm, homemade Sole, dill pickle juice

It seems counterintuitive to up your salt intake , but it really is a must when following the woe
  • chollingshed74
    chollingshed74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Excited about this challenge :)
  • pwrfl1
    edited January 2017
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Karen

I was reading about that last night. Yes net carbs. The ketodietapp.com had great information about that.

One way to look at net vs total carbs is.....use net carbs for your veggies and berries, total carbs for anything else. This keeps the sweets and other keto-fied recipes to a minimum and keeps you honest on how you're using your macros.

• fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Excited about this challenge :)

Fantastic! Join right in!

pwrfl1 - thanks for the info!

Another thing that I heard for helping to get your magnesium is to take an Epson salt bath. It will help with regularity! Go to the pharmacy section of any store and buy a large bag of Epson salt. You can also get over-the-counter magnesium supplements.

Leg cramps-a good remedy for this is 1/4 cup of pickle juice. It absolutely works almost immediately! Especially those late night leg cramps.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Love me some Epsom baths!!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    @BeLLe_60 You might just surprise yourself on how you good you feel just with in the few weeks.....you can look at it this way as well, doing Keto first will teach you awareness of everything you're putting in your body, and where your possible triggers are....after the challenge you could modify your diet to more of a paleo or whole30 or whatever approach.

A couple of my friends are doing keto after they saw my results....these are middle aged women that ate well, but were well into at least 230-270 pounds.....their first two weeks were amazing, they kept texting me on how good they felt, and their aches and pains were diminishing, sleep was restored, AND the kicker was they couldn't believe how crappy they felt when they deviated from the plan. Their bodies let them know immediately when their was too much sugar in something, or artificial somethings.... It's an amazing way to rid your body of inflammation !
  • Kilika735
    Kilika735 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting all the helpful links Mary!!! Can't wait to start. :)
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    BeLLe- The first time that I did this I did not go slow at all. I had flulike symptoms for three days. Then I did feel a little sluggish for a week. That is why I am making all of these suggestions to do prior to February 5. If you have already started to cut down on carbs, processed foods, and sugar it should be a fairly smooth transition into ketosis. Your body is very equipped to do this process naturally with very little side effects. Isn't it amazing how many carbs there are in food we would eat every day! Just being aware is One step closer to success!

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Kilika735 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting all the helpful links Mary!!! Can't wait to start. :)

Awesome! We are going to be burning an awful lot of fat in February!
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    @pwrfl1 and @fanncy0626 Thank you both...for your encouragement!! :):)

@Kilika735 Welcome!
  • ginniccole3
    ginniccole3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do this as well, this seems similar to the Atkins diet, am I right? If so I've followed that a few years back and lost a lot of weight
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I'd like to do this as well, this seems similar to the Atkins diet, am I right? If so I've followed that a few years back and lost a lot of weight

Fantastic! Very similar to Atkin diet. Atkins was protein based and this is fat based with the purpose of going into ketosis and burning fat instead of carbs! But, with awesome fat loss results!
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello everyone! In preparation for the keto diet it is a good idea to rid your house of temptation and prepare for the food that you plan on eating. In the link in my original post you will find the list of foods to eat and to avoid. I usually eat meat, eggs, dairy, green vegetable and fruit low in sugar. I use a lot of olive oil and butter for cooking with. This is to ensure that I get the amount of needed fat into my diet.

One of my favorite things to eat is bacon and eggs for breakfast! I also make chicken fajita salad. I have already cooked 5 pounds of chicken breast seasoned with the fajita seasoning for flavor. It is easier to go by grams of carbs eaten. I bought a scale for the last time that I did this to ensure that I got the correct amount of carbs. When starting off on this diet they suggest between 20 to 25 g of carbs/day. If you would like to look up recipes I did check out the site that BeLLe and pwrfl1 suggested ketodietapp.com. They have down loadable recipe books that you can look at for ideas. Good luck everyone with your preparation!

Mary