Keto 3 Week Challenge

Replies

• Kilika735
    Kilika735 Posts: 63 Member
    Can anyone recommend a good protein powder/meal replacement that is keto approved?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,080 Member
    Kilika735 I am not very educated on protein powder but, I do know that whey and vegetable based protein powder would probably not have any or very few carbs.
    I looked a few sites up online for you that might be able to help.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/555970-what-is-a-good-protein-shake-for-a-ketosis-diet/

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/05/20/All-You-Need-to-Know-About-Protein-on-a-Low-Carb-Ketogenic-Diet

http://www.tasteaholics.com/keto-gains/low-carb-protein-powder/
  • fanncy0626
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Something that I didn't realize when I first started is that protein is meant to be " moderate" This is not a high protein free for all.....for most women protein will be around 60-80 grms. Pick fattier types of meat like chicken thighs, higher fat ground beef like 80/20, rib eyes steaks, full fat cheeses, eggs, etc to get those proteins in.
    Some may struggle with keeping protein moderate and fats high.... Try butter, coconut oil, heavy whipping cream in your morning coffee, or smoothie.
    When you log your meal using MFP, work on getting your fat grams close to double the protein grams....you will feel more satiated and it's a great wayto keep things keto- balanced per meal.

Yes! Thanks for emphasizing that! I cooked with olive oil just to get enough fat! 75% fat! I will talk about bulletproof coffee and fat bombs this week. If you think of anything else that people need to prep for either physically or foods wise let us know!

Mary
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    @fanncy0626 and @pwrfl01 Thank you ladies for all your helpful suggestions! It makes a huge difference and will help us newbies become successful with the changes we are making.

I joined the Low Carb groups here on MFP.. I am reading the differences between Keto/ Paleo/ Primal?

I doubled the coconut oil in my coffee this morning and reduced the sugar slightly..that I have been working on to cut in half now, I could taste the rich coffee taste <3 without masking it with sugar.

Baby steps :)
  • azsundancer
    A ? Please share your salad dressing of choice?
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Blue cheese ! Look for creamy recipes you can make yourself, or a high grade olive oil and balsamic vinegar is good too. Most store bought may have hidden sugars, so you have to check the labels. I think Marie's is fairly clean version.
  • pwrfl1
    Great job with your coffee, BeLLe!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    There is a vast amount of information out there. I would recommend staying away from the sweet treats in the beginning and pay attention to those electrolytes!
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    ChoiceNotChance- Thanks for the tip!

Here is information on why electrolytes are so important!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects

Excellent information on side-affects and what to do to prevent them.

Mary
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    @fanncy0626 - thanks for the invite!
    I've been reading about Keto vs an Atkins style Lo Carb. Initially, I thought they were the same -- but, you're right- the diff is in the higher fat.
    I'm going to get reading the other info provided here and join this Feb challenge. Even if I don't know everything and don't get it perfect - I won't let 'perfection' stop me from trying or be a reason that I PROCRASTINATE this time.! (A trigger sabotage for me)

I think it was a post by @pwrfl1 that encouraged me to go for it - the one about the middle aged ladies at heavier weights getting results. That's me! I just want the muffin top / spare tire thing gone! It's better since I've been weight lifting. But, I lost some of my improvements over the holidays :/ But, no feeling sorry for myself! I'm still determined to find the eating style that I can follow going forward!
    I just turned 50 on Monday and I'll be dang if I spend the back half of my life struggling with excess belly fat!
    It's really about the health of my body and being super fit at 50+!

Thank guys! I'm looking forward to this.
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    lwhayes- fantastic! Pwrfl1 is also one of our resident experts since she has been doing this for a while! Together we all make a great team and will be very successful!

Mary
  • blt1350
    blt1350 Posts: 6 Member
    Really excited to find this group! Could really do with a group like this to stay on track! Done my macros today and start today! Good luck everyone x
  • fanncy0626
    blt1350 wrote: »
    Really excited to find this group! Could really do with a group like this to stay on track! Done my macros today and start today! Good luck everyone x

Fantastic! Welcome to our group!

Mary
  • pwrfl1
    lwhayes820 wrote: »
    @fanncy0626 - thanks for the invite!
    I've been reading about Keto vs an Atkins style Lo Carb. Initially, I thought they were the same -- but, you're right- the diff is in the higher fat.
    I'm going to get reading the other info provided here and join this Feb challenge. Even if I don't know everything and don't get it perfect - I won't let 'perfection' stop me from trying or be a reason that I PROCRASTINATE this time.! (A trigger sabotage for me)

I think it was a post by @pwrfl1 that encouraged me to go for it - the one about the middle aged ladies at heavier weights getting results. That's me! I just want the muffin top / spare tire thing gone! It's better since I've been weight lifting. But, I lost some of my improvements over the holidays :/ But, no feeling sorry for myself! I'm still determined to find the eating style that I can follow going forward!
    I just turned 50 on Monday and I'll be dang if I spend the back half of my life struggling with excess belly fat!
    It's really about the health of my body and being super fit at 50+!

Thank guys! I'm looking forward to this.
    Oh honey I was right there with you about 14 months ago! I'm 51, and I'm telling you, this was the easiest and best thing I've done for myself! When I found low carb, 14 mo ago I was 265 ish....I tried cycling high and low carb eating,.it was alright, but I found I felt much better on the lower carb days. Then I discovered LCHF...and then went Keto.....today I'm 175. I was NOT perfect by any means....but I soon realized that cutting out the sugars and processed crud was huge for me, I felt so much better health wise!

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2017
    ermhvkd6zeps.jpg

This is what my veggies for the day usually looks like. Notice the carrots and parsnips.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2017
    efv0m0d8xy5a.jpg

For now, I am going to cut out root vegetables (my personal choice). This quart bag of veggies has about 20 net carbs. My goal is to keep net carbs to 30g/d once the challenge starts. I will be more meticulous with weighing and logging veggies once the challenge has started.

For breakfast this morning I had leftover ribs. No carbs.

Will snack on the vegetables pictured today. The sugar snaps are the highest in sugar/carbs in this bag.

Tonight planning on spinach salad and salmon.

Then I will see how I am doing on carb and calorie intake for today and tweak as needed. As of today, I am limiting carbs to 50g/d in preparation for the challenge.

Getting excited about this challenge! Thanks, Mary!

Karen
  • pwrfl1
    Looks and sounds positively yummy! Don't forget to add the fats- perhaps a creamy dressing or homemade dip for those veggies !
  • fanncy0626
    Karen - those veggies look delicious. Great plan for reducing carbs!

Today will be an off day for me. We are having our last family Christmas! I plan on trying for CICO today which will include a cookie or two!

I am still working on drinking more water. I have pretty much eliminated all Mt Dew from my diet. I will reduce carbs and increase fat this week. I will work towards getting closer and closer to the Keto macros by the end of the week! Make sure to check your macro settings and monitor how you are doing.

Have a great day!

Mary
  • azsundancer
    edited January 2017
    I am running out of time .. I will catch up later!

@KetoneKaren Your veggies look yummy!