Oh KALE no!

Options
ShanBanKrup
ShanBanKrup Posts: 55 Member
Anyone have any creative ideas on how to cook and eat Kale? My mother uses them in smoothies usually but we have a ton of it (like my egg dilemma) and are wondering if we can enjoy it other ways besides in a smoothie. Ideas welcomed!

Replies

• ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Kale chips or use as wraps for buffalo chicken.
    I love kale in Zuppa Toscana. If you omit the potatoes it would be low carb.
  • ShanBanKrup
    ShanBanKrup Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @ABeautifulDistraction how do u make Kale chips? And what is zuppa toscana?
  • Merycoidodon
    Merycoidodon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kale chips! Definitely kale chips.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I love kale chips too. Rub them with olive oil, sprinkle salt and throw them in the oven...I usually do 400 degrees...until they're crisp. You can flavor them with other things, but I like just salt.

I also do this with the outside leaves that fall off of my brussels sprouts when I'm prepping them.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Preaching to the choir, but ya, kale chips are crazy good.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the kale chips. I also love kale raw in salads, or sauteed in olive oil with garlic and ginger. I throw handfuls of chopped kale in soups. Saute a handful of chopped kale in butter, then scramble in a couple of eggs and top with feta cheese.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Here's a link to the recipe I use for kale chips http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/12/6-tips-for-flawless-kale-chips-all-dressed-kale-chips-recipe/

Zuppa Toscana is a soup. It has Italian sausage, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, heavy cream, bacon, potatoes, kale and top it with parmesan. If you'd like the actual recipe, I can list it here or pm it to you.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I like it steamed.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Kale is great in soups and stews. When I have extra kale, I chop, blanch and freeze in recipe-size portions (usually 2-4 cups prior to blanching). None goes to waste and I can easily toss it into whatever I'm making.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I tried it in my salad and boy was it bitter .....but it is yummy sauteed in butter and garlic
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Zuppa Toscana is a soup. It has Italian sausage, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, heavy cream, bacon, potatoes, kale and top it with parmesan. If you'd like the actual recipe, I can list it here or pm it to you.

@ABeautifulDistraction can you post it in the LCD Recipes Group forum? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112055-the-low-carb-high-fat-recipes-group-lchf

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I took kale and sautéed it with mushrooms in butter or olive oil with garlic powder and salt. Then I heated leftover ground beef n onions along with it. Ate that for like a week. Very good!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Kale sauteed in olive oil with roasted red peppers and sliced black olives. Delicious.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »

@ABeautifulDistraction can you post it in the LCD Recipes Group forum? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112055-the-low-carb-high-fat-recipes-group-lchf

Yes. Shall do that now.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I tried it in my salad and boy was it bitter .....but it is yummy sauteed in butter and garlic

I was just thinking about sautéing in bacon grease.

That's the best way to do it. Yum!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My version of the Zuppa Toscana soup that I perfected... I even went back and ate the Olive Garden kind and pushed the potatoes aside, and mine was leaps and bounds better.

myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/copycat-olive-garden-zuppa-toscana-soup-recipe-739915
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the cooked kale in the soup froze beautifully and didn't lose any texture, so I would think that sauteing it, and adding some broth to freeze or something would work well, too!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are heaven!!! I miss them so much. I can't find whole kale in the UK the way it's sold in America. I've only seen it chopped up (with the stems) in a bag, not in good size for chips.

But rant aside, I wanted to share the secret to kale salad. You need to massage the dressing into the leaves and give it time to break the fibers down before you eat it (just put it in the fridge for an hour). Caesar dressing is really good with it, you can toss some bacon lardons and almond slivers in and shave some Parmesan on top before you serve. Yum!