What are you training for?

Options

Replies

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am training to change my running form b/c my injury was caused by being a heal striker (this is specific to me). Once that is done, I'll be training for Disney Dopey 2018!
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

rrcoffey wrote: »

So, how did it go? Did you run a HM on your own since the race was cancelled?

It went really well. My times where not the fastest, but I was there to have fun. Yes, I completed the half on my own at 5:30 Saturday morning in the rain and wind. Did 8 laps of the 1.7 mile loop around the Port Orleans resort with about 100-150 other runners. That probably the best running "event" I have ever attended.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Officially signed up for Flying Pig (the marathon) on May 7. Been training for it or a marathon around that time, so decided to make it official. Will do a half before then too, maybe a couple (might be able to fit in the Lincoln Half in Springfield as part of a longer training run). I got into Chicago too (I was on the fence about wanting to do Chicago again, since it's less exciting to do my hometown race, but was talked into it with "it's the 40th anniversary" thing so now a co-worker and I are blaming each other for getting into it. At least I have lots of time to really train for that one (Oct 8) after recovering from Flying Pig and will be starting from a better base as I am currently working my way back into shape after a foot injury.)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 - Have you done the Flying Pig before? I have run the full twice and the half once. It is my favorite race.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    March 5th Little Rock Marathon.
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I need a new 10k PB.... it hasn't budged since 2013!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Midwesterner - Glacier is gorgeous. So is Zion.

BeeerRunner - which marathon?

Simmoner - those are nice spaced. It takes me a very long time to recover from a marathon, but that seems almost doable.

I'm currently training for the B&A Trail marathon near Annapolis, MD. It will be my 3rd.

@spiriteagle99 I'm running the Cowtown Marathon in Ft. Worth. I may drive the course this weekend so I know where the hills are. There's a big steep one that I drive by when I go to do my long runs. 1 month now!! Eek!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really planning on training specifically for it, but since I skipped a run last night as a mini-taper, I guess I can say I'm training for my half marathon tomorrow.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    nicruns wrote: »
    Me too! In fact, I need a 10K PB period. I have run 4 marathons, many half marathons, countless 5Ks, some 15ks, 4 mile and 5 mile races, but I have never run 10K. I have one on the schedule for next weekend. Woohoo...automatic PR!

How did you manage to skip the 10K @lporter229 ?? Lol!!
  • blondierunner2015
    blondierunner2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    St Jude Half in April!
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    rrcoffey wrote: »

So, how did it go? Did you run a HM on your own since the race was cancelled?

It went really well. My times where not the fastest, but I was there to have fun. Yes, I completed the half on my own at 5:30 Saturday morning in the rain and wind. Did 8 laps of the 1.7 mile loop around the Port Orleans resort with about 100-150 other runners. That probably the best running "event" I have ever attended.

I stayed at Caribbean Beach and saw the same...tons of runners out there in the rain that morning. I admire the dedication . . . congrats! I only ran the marathon and Disney is the only place where one can say that and feel inadequate - LOL! I'm about 30% thinking I'd like to try/train for Dopey 2019, but I'd like to get another marathon (maybe 2) under my belt first. We'll see . . .
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My HM is over so it's on to the next race in early April, a 17 mile trail race with 3100 feet of gain & loss through the course. This is a training race for my 50K. Now to go find some hills to run....
  • lporter229
    Options
    Me too! In fact, I need a 10K PB period. I have run 4 marathons, many half marathons, countless 5Ks, some 15ks, 4 mile and 5 mile races, but I have never run 10K. I have one on the schedule for next weekend. Woohoo...automatic PR!

I have no idea!!!!
  • BeeerRunner
    Options

I have no idea!!!!

Too funny @lporter229 !! I've only raced in 1 10K, but I liked it. I didn't have to run the 5K "so fast I feel like I'm going to die" speed, and much easier than a half. I did win Female Masters in the 1 10K I did. I think I'll have to get 1 on the schedule this summer. :smiley:

Good luck!! I'm sure you'll do great!
  • lporter229
    Options

I have no idea!!!!

Too funny @lporter229 !! I've only raced in 1 10K, but I liked it. I didn't have to run the 5K "so fast I feel like I'm going to die" speed, and much easier than a half. I did win Female Masters in the 1 10K I did. I think I'll have to get 1 on the schedule this summer. :smiley:

Thanks. I have raced two 5 mile races and did pretty well. 10K should not be much different. I really like the 5 mile distance, specifically for the reason you said.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    BeeerRunner - I won Masters Female at one of the two 10ks I've run. It was at a small college, in support of their ROTC program, so there weren't a lot of over 40's there. Still, it was fun to win it, especially at age 57.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k next weekend, the first in a local winter race series
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I signed up last minute for the 10K race in the Los Cabos half Marathon next Sunday. Originally I was going to run it as my first ever half, but then I decided I didn't want the stress. I wanted my vacation to be about relaxing. Then, a couple days ago I went back to the race website, and decided that I would be running anyway while down there, I might as well enter the shorter race. Part of my brain just kept saying "Your'e there already, there's a race while your'e there. How can you NOT enter?"

Now I'll be an international racer, LOL. I suppose this means I'll have to find a race in Canada next so that I can mark off North America and begin working on another continent HAHAHA
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I have no idea!!!!

Thanks. I have raced two 5 mile races and did pretty well. 10K should not be much different. I really like the 5 mile distance, specifically for the reason you said.

FWIW, the only two races where I ran so hard I felt like I needed to puke after finishing were both 5 mile races. Later, I learned to run a 5 mile as "not an A race" and finish in more comfort.