Mom2Annie's Progress Thread

Replies

• leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Awesome how you are reaping all those benefits, it's surprising, isn't it? Plus OMAD is simpler than almost anything else. Here's Dec 25 to Jan 29: 01y6yj7jc6cj.jpg
  • vinyladdict
    vinyladdict Posts: 85 Member
    Great job Annie and John. You can really see the difference between your before and after facial pictures.
  • Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »
    Awesome how you are reaping all those benefits, it's surprising, isn't it? Plus OMAD is simpler than almost anything else. Here's Dec 25 to Jan 29: 01y6yj7jc6cj.jpg

Wow, John. What a change in just a month! You're doing so well and you're right...OMAD is truly simple.
  • Mom2annie
    Great job Annie and John. You can really see the difference between your before and after facial pictures.

Thanks!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Mom2annie wrote: »
    Thanks guys. :smile:

Today, I want to share (mostly for other newbies struggling) that I feel amazing. I pressed through the adjustment (only about 36 hours were truly rough) and my body is totally cooperating with OMAD now.

My weight is hovering in the same range but I don't care. I FEEL so good. I'm alert and focused at work, no drowsiness or brain fog. I rarely feel hunger pangs now--only twice a day and they're very brief (less than a minute). I'm not ravenous when I get home from work anymore or completely preoccupied with eating my one meal. I'm not shaky before I eat, and I can even calmly make my child's dinner before I make mine, with no rush feeling.

I'm staying in a better, kinder, even-tempered mood too. And my energy...though I don't really FEEL more energetic, I have more spontaneous inclinations to clean the mess that is my house. I used to have zero energy when I came home...no cleaning until weekends for me. But not anymore.

My clothes are loose, I'm constantly yanking up my pants (they're elastic waisted) so a belt isn't going to work. My face is so much thinner and my back fat is lessened. I'm just thrilled with it all.

The first week or so was not easy (though much easier than I anticipated) but now...sticking to this is almost effortless. Planning ahead and cooking ahead is about the only effort I have to make. The eating habits are now a breeze. I can't say enough about how awesome OMAD has turned out to be for me. I'm excited to see more changes in the coming weeks.

For perspective, I started on 1/26/17 and today is the last day of my 2nd OMAD week. Week 3 starts tomorrow. :smile:

I almost forgot about how much more energy I had at the end of the day while on OMAD as compared to before. It was a big difference for me also
  • blambo61
    edited February 2017
    Your face is definitely looking thinner. Both you and John! Congrats both of you.
  • Mom2annie
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Your face is definitely looking thinner. Both you and John! Congrats both of you.

Thanks
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Thanks @vinyladdict and @blambo61 !!!
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    I almost forgot about how much more energy I had at the end of the day while on OMAD as compared to before. It was a big difference for me also

Isn't it crazy!! I work super early and sometimes I have trouble going to sleep at night cause I'm just not tired.
  • blambo61
    dajoloehr wrote: »

Isn't it crazy!! I work super early and sometimes I have trouble going to sleep at night cause I'm just not tired.

Once I've eaten after fasting, I notice I usually can go to sleep pretty easy. I'v got lots more energy but I also can sleep good.
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    @blambo61 yea I sleep well, when I get to sleep lol I've been listening to a hypnosis app and that puts me right out. I don't believe it works for me for the intended purpose, but it help me fall asleep.
  • Mom2annie
    I'm making my first batch of bone broth. The bones were way more expensive than I anticipated (beef marrow bones). $3.69 a pound and I got almost 6 so it was $21! But it's worth it. I will probably go the cheaper chicken route next time. This batch smells heavenly already and I'm going to let it simmer overnight. Please Lord, don't let me ruin it.
  • ShantelRae72
    ShantelRae72 Posts: 57 Member
    I'm making my first batch of bone broth. The bones were way more expensive than I anticipated (beef marrow bones). $3.69 a pound and I got almost 6 so it was $21! But it's worth it. I will probably go the cheaper chicken route next time. This batch smells heavenly already and I'm going to let it simmer overnight. Please Lord, don't let me ruin it.

What are you doing with the bone broth... Very interested
  • Mom2annie
    It's super good for you and doesn't illicit an insulin response which means you can have it during the fasting period without breaking your fast. I've been having a cup about 2 hours before my meal time to help me through the last couple hours and also for a sodium boost. Pushing water all day long can deplete your sodium and, ironically, cause dehydration issues. In my case, lightheadedness and mild headache. I think Joe talks about bone broth in one of his videos but you can also read about it by googling jason fung + bone broth + fasting.
  • EVP_NZ
    EVP_NZ Posts: 117 Member
    How did your broth turn out? I add heaps of salt and a splash of apple cider vinegar before I drink mine.
  • Mom2annie
    My broth was icky. Threw it all out. :'(

I may try chicken broth soon, but never beef again. It had such a dull, odd flavor.

Do you have a secret recipe?
  • EVP_NZ
    I just save the bones/skins/gristly bits from whatever we're eating (usually chicken and pork leg or shoulder) in the freezer until we have enough to fill the crockpot.

Cover with water, add a splash of vinegar, and let go--usually 24 hours on low. If I remember, about 1-6 hours before straining, add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and fresh herbs if you got them.

Strain, salt, and acidulate (add lemon/lime juice or more vinegar). If it's still flat, add umami (soy or fish sauce). Or toss in some bouillon. No shame in that--you still have all the broth benefits in a form you actually want to consume.

Beef is harder work I think. I think you're supposed to roast the bones for best flavour. I should give beef a go again and see. Right now I have a couple of ham bones and rind (all the pork comes with the skin still on in NZ) in the crockpot. It smells amazing.
  • EVP_NZ
    Oh, and I strain, then cool overnight and peel the layer of fat off. I save that for cooking (I'm on a high fat protocol). Then I doctor the defatted broth with salt, etc.
  • Mom2annie
    EVP_NZ wrote: »
    Oh, and I strain, then cool overnight and peel the layer of fat off. I save that for cooking (I'm on a high fat protocol). Then I doctor the defatted broth with salt, etc.

Thanks for the tips. I roasted the beef bones first but I didn't acidulate the broth later on or add anything like soy sauce or bouillon. I did use garlic, carrots, onion, celery, and a couple bay leaves. It smelled amazing at the start but then I let it simmer on low all night and in the morning it was no longer aromatic. I added a good bit of Himalayan salt but it didn't seem to do much. I will start saving scraps and bones in my freezer. That's a great idea. Thank you again.
  • Mom2annie
    Morning everyone. Just wanted to pop in and say I'm still around and still eating OMAD. I struggle with depression (not constantly--it ebbs and flows) and I haven't felt like sharing (or being sociable) lately. I have, however, been checking on the forum here and there and trying to keep up with what's going on with you all.

I feel like I'm completely adapted to OMAD at this point (it's been roughly a month since I started) so I'm trying to incorporate Keto into OMAD. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew, but I'm on day 4 and doing well. I think I went through what has been coined as keto flu when I was adjusting to OMAD, so the major adjustment has been accepting so many freakin' fats into my diet. Everything is so greasy and eating it seems counter intuitive. But, I'm sticking with it for now. Just spent a near fortune at the grocery store shifting away from carbs and more towards protein and healthy fats. Although--I still have a very difficult time seeing the fat from meats as healthy.

My endocrinologist, who was way ahead of his time, diagnosed me with Syndrome X (aka Metabolic Syndrome) and PCOS with insulin resistance nearly 25 years ago (when it wasn't well known and there was NO internet to help me along). He prescribed a sugar free, low-carb diet for me--but I was just 15 and didn't do it. I feel like I'm finally following his advice and giving it a real try.

I saw on my way to work that Joe uploaded a new video to Youtube. I wanted to watch it right away, but couldn't. I'll have to wait. I don't know about you guys, but I get excited when he uploads new videos!

Okay, back to work before I get myself fired...have a great day everyone!

-Laura