One month of keto only 5lb weight loss.

Options
lostcouch
lostcouch Posts: 17 Member
So I've been doing keto for 30 days and have only lost a total of 5lbs. I've only weighed myself 3 times.

The begining I was 201.5
2 weeks in 197.5
2 weeks later 196.5

I have been keeping carbs between 20-30g daily and I have been doing crossfit 2 times a week as well as riding my bike daily.

I've been checking urine with keto sticks. They still work and I've been steady with moderate ketones.

How long did it take you guys to start seeing these fast results I keep on hearing about?

I am seeing slight shifting with the way ny clothes fit. But It was still pretty disappointing to see only a 1lb weight loss in the last 2 weeks. Also I'm keeping my calories between 1200-1400 a day.

Looking to stay motivated and would like to hear how long it took you till you really started seeing these fast results.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lostcouch
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Your body will start building/converting to wire them for a ketone/fats fuel system. This generally takes 6-12 weeks.

I've been wondering how long that process normally takes. I keep on reading all these stories on here of people dropping a moderate amount in such a short time and I guess I just expected to see the same.

This information gives me a more realistic perspective. Thank you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lostcouch wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Your body will start building/converting to wire them for a ketone/fats fuel system. This generally takes 6-12 weeks.

I've been wondering how long that process normally takes. I keep on reading all these stories on here of people dropping a moderate amount in such a short time and I guess I just expected to see the same.

This information gives me a more realistic perspective. Thank you.

@lostcouch - You're welcome. There are way too many factors as to what makes up for initial losses and such. Existing weight, how much to lose, health conditions, nutrient deficiencies, previous dietary intake, activity level, hydration, and I could go on all day. :)

That being said. The initial mitochondria can start forming around 4 weeks, I think, and usually by 12 weeks you should be back to previous performance levels and such. After that, improvement levels might actually increase faster, though not always, as ketone mitochondria seem to work better for most folks, and since nearly all of us will carry a percentage of body fat stores, the tendency to "bonk" in performance when fueled by glucose rarely happens with ketone based mitochondria. Some folks can run Iron Man or Marathon races while supplementing only electrolytes, but no added fuel. It depends on levels of adaption.

@lodro and others might be able to give you some more information on all of this.
  • lostcouch
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

I think I've been very good with keeping tract of calories. I'm not hungry either which was an issue at first.

53 weeks and you reached your goal!!! I love it. That's inspiring. I guess my target weight would take about the same amount of time when I think about it.

Last time I lost weight was 4 years ago and it was just a low calories diet with 4-5 workouts per week. The weight just melted off I think it took me 3 months. Obviously I didn't maintain it. Since then, I broke my elbow and had a baby (he just turned 3) and I also gained a record amount of weight. Im 37, nearing that dreaded 40. Now I don't have as much time to excersize. So I'm trying to change my eating and excersize to something I can sustain. I have a long journey ahead of me. I need to remember that the 1.25lbs can add up. Thanks for your reply, is nice to see that I'm not the only one that didn't lose a ton of weight immediately.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Dr Nally was just answering a similar question today on Keto Talk. He was talking about how some who switch have a disproportionate level of yellow fat vs brown fat. Brown fat is what you want. It cycles quickly and actually burns calories. You can find some articles on it using google if you want to get the science behind it.

Anyway, when some people switch to this WOE, the first step is converting some of the yellow fat (sometimes called white fat) to brown fat. According to the podcast today, this can take between 1 to 3 months. In that time, though it is common to see the types of gains you are talking about like pants magically getting looser.

This is not just for obese or sedentary people. He said he has even had athletes who were switching to keto freak out because their body fat percentage and weight initially increased as they gained the brown fat before losing the yellow fat.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Five pounds in a month is pretty great. If you try different workout routines with crossfit, that would retain water in your body. The huge losses in the first week you hear are due to water loss but not everyone loses as much water for various reasons.
  • lostcouch
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @cstehansen
    No kidding? I've never heard of Keto talk and I had no idea there was a brown or yellow fat. I will definitely be checking out "Keto Talk", as well as doing my googling. Thank you.

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    How old are you? It gets harder as you get older, and hormones play a big part for women. For example I lost 3.5kg, but I've gained back 2kg in the last couple of weeks making it a grand total of 1.5 kg (roughly 3lb) lost in 2 months.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    @cstehansen
    No kidding? I've never heard of Keto talk and I had no idea there was a brown or yellow fat. I will definitely be checking out "Keto Talk", as well as doing my googling. Thank you.

http://www.livescience.com/49652-what-is-brown-fat-facts.html

Very first google result. There was a different study last year that first brought this to my attention.

http://ketotalk.com/

In case you want to hear some past episodes.
  • lostcouch
    Options
    @EbonyDahlia

I'm 37. I really want to get to my goal weight before 40. I hear it just get harder and harder...Especially for women. Ugh.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    @EbonyDahlia

I'm 37. I really want to get to my goal weight before 40. I hear it just get harder and harder...Especially for women. Ugh.

I'm 42. I started when I was 38. I've lost 35kg in 4 years. I lose a lot slower than many, but it wasn't this hard 20 years ago. I used to be able to go up and down 20kg with ease.

• lostcouch
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    @cstehansen

Very first google result. There was a different study last year that first brought this to my attention.

WOW! I Just Listed to the last episode and it was phenomenal. I love how the doc breaks down the science. I absolutely love this show!! Thanks so much for turning me on to them. I'm hooked!!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen

WOW! I Just Listed to the last episode and it was phenomenal. I love how the doc breaks down the science. I absolutely love this show!! Thanks so much for turning me on to them. I'm hooked!!!

You might really enjoy YouTube videos by longtime keto researchers Phinney and Volek. You could start by watching a long intro to keto interview (or segments separated by topic) at the JumpstartMD YT channel.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @cstehansen

Well, then, let me introduce you to http://2ketodudes.com/ enjoy
  • cstehansen
    Options
    @cstehansen

There are quite a few podcast and youtube options. I think there are many in the launch pad or in the open threads section of the main page of this forum. I listen to quite a few while I am on my walks or in the car. I love that I found the option to listen at 1.5x speed so I can get through an hour podcast in 40 minutes. I have tried it at 2x speed, but that is generally too fast for me to understand everything. The 1.5x just puts them up to the speed I normally talk and keeps my mind from wandering.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I did not gain or lose weight my first 45 days on Keto.