Needing some advice...and a moment to vent.

Hey everyone! I'm new to MFP and the Keto diet, so I wanted to take a sec to introduce myself. My name is Amber, and I've decided to try and change my life for the better. I'm roughly 190 lbs at the age of 24. I have severe back and knee pain from all of this excess weight, and I'm ashamed of my physical condition. I desperately need to feel healthy... the rest will fall into place.
I first saw the keto diet on Pinterest, and read more online. It sounds like a diet that can provide great results, but more importantly, one that I can sustain. I have to beat my laziness, but some high maintenance diets out there don't make it easy.
I was wondering, what is everyone's experience? Has it been harder or easier to follow than other diets? What motivates you? Also, does anyone have any tips for a newbie like me? Things you didn't read online but discovered for yourself?

Thank you for taking some time to help me out, and please feel free to add me!

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    And welcome! I'm Jessica :)
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Hi! I get so inspired by people like you because you have decided to put your health first. You're not beating yourself up but simply making a level headed decision and you're trying to get the right information to ensure you'll be successful. Nice one!
    I'm very new to all this myself, coming from a vegetarian, high carb diet to now switching more and more to a high fat/protein, low carb way of eating. I think a low carb diet is a good option for weight loss because it helps decrease hunger so it's actually easier to eat at a deficit. It's great to get away from craving sugary, processed carb foods that have low nutritional value as well!
    Also, I don't think you're "lazy", as you write. At least not more so than any other human as we've all been biologically programmed to preserve energy where possible and overconsume calories when we can. I have absolutely no sweets in the house, except for some (dried) fruit and stevia sweetened drinking chocolate, because it's not that I don't have any self control but it means I don't have to fight the natural urge to go for a quick energy hit when I'm tired...
    I'll be curious to read replies of more seasoned low carbers/ Keto peeps, and please keep us posted on how you go!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    First, take a look through the launch pad on the main page of this forum:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

There is very important information about electrolytes and the "keto flu" (which is completely preventable) and other tips and resources that will make this journey much more successful and pleasant.

If you scroll through the various threads here, you will likely find several that have information you will feel was written specifically for you. If you do have a question not covered, feel free to ask. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Welcome aboard. IMHO, this is the best WOE regardless of health. Of course, there is no WOE that is perfect for everyone. This group has people everywhere from 150 g carbs a day down to 0, vegetarians to full carnivores. As long as people are respectful, they are welcome here.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Yes, do take the time to do this! I wish I did this regularly throughout! And keeping a diary can be helpful.
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Oh, one more thing - take pics and measurements. It is very common to lose inches without losing pounds during some stretches. Sometimes it happens right up front sometimes it may happen after having lost several pounds. If you take pics and measurements, then you can see progress even when the scale may not indicate it.

• englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Welcome!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Welcome! As suggested, the launchpad is an incredible resource, as are most of this discussion forum. Always remember is that there is not one specific thing that works for everybody the same way... expect maybe keeping an eye on electrolytes! Everyone has their own sweet spot, it may take some experimenting to find yours!

Planning ahead and food preparation are key for me to avoid last minute (bad decisions), but as I become more adapted, it is easier to wait (but I do not officially fast, it is simply not for me!)
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Welcome! First I would like to echo what others have said about reading the stickies and getting plenty of salt. It'll make you feel so much better. Second, remember to focus on all of the tasty and good for you foods that you CAN eat and not on the foods that you can't. Third, feel free to ask questions. This is a very supportive community full of people who are very knowledgeable and they are happy to share great information.

Best of luck!!
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    This is the easiest and most successful diet I have ever tried, and the first one that I have ever felt like I could stick to long term. So glad you found your way here and hope you love it
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Welcome to the group!

I can only speak of my experience - for me, this has been the easiest and most sustainable WOE that I have ever tried. I am almost never hungry (usually only occurs if I slip-up and eat simple carbs), I sometimes force myself to eat or eat out of habit - still trying to break that habit. I sleep better, I have more energy and I don't get the afternoon sleepies after lunch anymore.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    You've gotten the best advice possible thus far, so I'll just say listen, follow and welcome! Good luck to you Amber!

Omar
  • Puppylynn
    Puppylynn Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you for the warm welcome! That's great advice on meal prepping; that's probably my weakest area.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    @ShanBanKrup - I was the opposite - I dived into the deep end without stepping down, and my body reacted as if it was now bathed in the glittering sunlight of perfection...because this is what I desperately needed, but I had some outlying health issues and external life triggers, and I'm fighting my way back... So it CAN work for some... If I had tried to stair step down and lower my carbs slowly, I'd be face first in carbage right now. That type of plan doesn't work for me, at all, but we are all very different people...