How Sugar Free Spells Danger - Dr Perlmutter

Options
Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
"do your best to eliminate sugar. But don’t replace it with artificial sweeteners. Your 100 trillion microbial friends living in your intestines won’t be happy with this choice and you may well pave the way for the very health conditions you’re trying to avoid"
- See more at: http://www.drperlmutter.com/how-sugar-free-spells-danger/?utm_source=DrPerlmutter.com+Newsletter&utm_campaign=95b4cd8f89-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_02_05&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3e059546f6-95b4cd8f89-99343905&mc_cid=95b4cd8f89&mc_eid=d953625a6e#sthash.JtOl2cHY.dpuf

Replies

• sati_18
    sati_18 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Haha I'm the worst for artificial sweeteners - I sink about six cans of diet coke a day. Interesting article but I'm willing to take the risk... No one is having my diet coke off me!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    sati_18 wrote: »
    Haha I'm the worst for artificial sweeteners - I sink about six cans of diet coke a day. Interesting article but I'm willing to take the risk... No one is having my diet coke off me!

Whoa. What's addictive about DC?
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'd rather drink a gallon of propane than using an artificial sweetener everyday. Thanks for bringing this up.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Wow. Well, I've definitely gotten slimmer using artificial sweeteners, but my belly is still a trouble spot (better on keto than previous WOEs, and for me it's also linked to having PCOS).
    The idea of giving up even my fake sweets does make me sad, but I wonder if it would cause a breakthrough re the abdominal fat ... says the woman who has a 6-pack of Torani SF syrups arriving today at last ...
  • sati_18
    sati_18 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    sati_18 wrote: »

Whoa. What's addictive about DC?

I have no idea.. But I'll happily take my obsession to the grave :smiley:
  • Butterfly483
    Butterfly483 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wonder if taking probiotics solves the problem?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I made a personal choice to cut artificial sweeteners in October of 2016 to see if I noticed any difference in anything. 5 months. No change in anything that I can tell. Many report artificial sweeteners are bad. Many report fats are bad. I'm pretty neutral on stuff like this.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    I'd rather drink a gallon of propane than using an artificial sweetener everyday. Thanks for bringing this up.

Do you recommend a particular brand/(natural) flavor of propane? ;)
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I made a personal choice to cut artificial sweeteners in October of 2016 to see if I noticed any difference in anything. 5 months. No change in anything that I can tell. Many report artificial sweeteners are bad. Many report fats are bad. I'm pretty neutral on stuff like this.

I agree. It's a controversial topic that people argue back and forth. Especially the fat is the outrageously discriminated. But fat is natural and artificial sweeteners aren't.
  • nomorepuke
    Options

Lol not really but try to get a diet propane. Diet propane maybe better than whole propane.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I gave up a Diet Coke addiction about a year ago when I was following the Always Hungry diet. After losing 15 pounds, I decided to reward myself and had 3 glasses of Diet Coke. The next day every muscle in my body ached and my joints were especially painful. It got less and less painful through out the day and by the next morning I was fine.

Had I desensitized myself to the stuff and when I gave it up for over 3 months I was no longer desensitized? I don't know, but I have noticed that I can no longer eat aspartame. If it is in my sugar free syrup or low sugar ketchup, I feel it in my joints the next day. The other sweeteners like sugar alcohol sometimes cause me stomach pains too. So, I have to have a really bad craving to use artificial sweeteners anymore. It's just not worth the pain, like a bad hangover is not worth the drinking the night before.
  • nomorepuke
    Options

I agree. It's a controversial topic that people argue back and forth. Especially the fat is the outrageously discriminated. But fat is natural and artificial sweeteners aren't.

Only if it is free range, pasture fed, grass fed, has no additives, organic, non GMO, etc. :);)<3 I'm pretty neutral on that stuff too.

Yup absolutely true! I don't think I can find any free range, pasture fed, has no additives, organic, non GMO artificial sweeteners lol
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options

Lol not really but try to get a diet propane. Diet propane maybe better than whole propane.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll look for the raspberry DP with stevia.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I am also really curious if any of the diet sweeteners (e.g. stevia or maybe xylitol?) have fewer or no negative effects than others.
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    I'm curious. What's the difference between plastic fork and artificial sweetener? They're both artificial. I just wanna find out the difference.
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    Interesting that this topic came up today. Been fighting headaches for almost a week. Kept thinking I probably just needed to up my sodium but wasn't getting any relief even after doing that so started doing some online research and was finding that some artificial sweeteners can cause headaches in some people. Been using Stevia in my morning coffee and even though Stevia is considered more natural than some sweeteners I was thinking it couldn't hurt to eliminate for a bit and see what happens. Then stumbled across several articles mentioning that Stevia is indeed a member of the ragweed family. I'm definitely allergic to ragweed so thinking I've found the culprit. Time will tell I guess. But thought I'd mention for any other ragweed sufferers out there.

Wow. That's some interesting news! Not surprising that the allergists haven't gotten around to telling you that Stevia might be a problem if your skin erupts at the ragweed patch.