Went to the Dr....now I dont know what to do! Help!

Kimo159
Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Hey everyone,

I know I haven't been super talkative in the forums lately. Been pretty busy but I'm trying to log in and read the boards when I can. I'm just having a little pity party for a minute. Sorry that this will be long winded. I'm hoping to maybe get some help in figuring out what to do.

I got some blood work done (it was suspected I might have PCOS so I went off hormonal BC and redid the rests in January - a year after getting off hormonal BC). Well I had my Dr. appointment yesterday and here's what came out of it.

I have high testosterone, high estrogen, and low progesterone so yeah that definitely points to PCOS. But nothing is so bad that there's much we can do as far as treatment. I can do a test that's not covered by medical for $350 to determine what pathway the high testosterone is coming from but the treatment would be out of pocket as well and I don't have the $$ to do that right now. On the plus side, my iron, which was crazy low before is only slightly low now but not too bad so I just need to supplement and I'll be fine there.

So, I'm supposed to avoid estrogen promoting foods. Sugar (that's easy), soy (no problem), dairy (okay HOLD UP! That's like 30% of my food), and meats with hormones (that'll be trickier but I do hunt so I have some wild game to use). I should have some carbs apparently, so low carb for sure, probably not keto. Keto is the only way I seem to lose weight though, and since I'm 170 lbs and want to be around 150 I definitely have some weight to lose.

So, last night I had a couple glasses of wine and a cry (shall I say I wined and whined?) because I've been working so hard to be healthy and lose weight and I'm spinning my wheels. I go to the gym and lift weights but my strength isn't improving, nor is my weight going down.

Here's what I've formulated as a plan so far. I'm going to have to shift my focus from weight loss to balancing my hormones.

Dinners will be meat and veggies, lunches will be what's leftover from the previous dinner. Using lots of cruciferous (sp?) veggies. I might add some starchy vegetables for dinner only such as carrots and beets.

Breakfasts and snacks will be an issue since I used to do cottage cheese/greek yogurt and cheese strings. I can't even BPC because, butter!

My preworkout carbs used to be oats w/ protein powder and cashew milk. Can't have protein powder (unless I go vegan but the ones I've tried have been so disgusting I can't get them down).

I think in the next few months I need to go back on hormonal BC to try to help correct the hormones, but that doesn't really actually fix the underlying problem, just pumps some synthetic hormones in there so my body thinks it's more balanced.

Any of you wonderful brilliant LCers have any ideas? Thoughts? Recipes? Jokes so I can at least laugh at something?

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    ((hugs)) Eggs? Also, I only do coconut oil in my coffee and it helps me.
  • Kimo159
    How did I not even consider eggs? Haha. Guess I'm so frustrated that my brain isn't functioning. I eat breakfast at my desk at work so I could probably hard boil some and then just eat them that way! Thanks!! Do you still put your coffee in the blender with coconut oil to make the texture similar to BPC or just stir it in?
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Cadori wrote: »

Coconut creme is good as well.....A little creamier than just the oil.....
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    I follow a wholistic nutrionist on you tube named Leann Vogel. She advocates keto, but had tons of hormonal issues herself. She has specific suggestions for balancing hormones. She eats keto, but uses carb ups in a very specific way. I like listening to her. I can't say I follow everything she does, but she is informative. She eats dairy free too. Her website is called Healthful Pursuits. I had a hysterectomy at 34, so balancing my hormones is done in the MOST unnatural way, but it sounds like something that may help you.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    How did I not even consider eggs? Haha. Guess I'm so frustrated that my brain isn't functioning. I eat breakfast at my desk at work so I could probably hard boil some and then just eat them that way! Thanks!! Do you still put your coffee in the blender with coconut oil to make the texture similar to BPC or just stir it in?

I just put it in my contigo travel mug and shake it when I get in the car. :)

@swezeytba - Ooohh...coconut cream! I have some and keep meaning to try it with a coconut chai tea I have. I love coconut cream.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    @Cadori

I just got a chocolate chai tea blend that I can't wait to try. There were a couple different blends all in one package....Can't remember what the others were...lol
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    DIM - or eat a bunch of broccoli and cabbage
  • Kimo159
    I follow a wholistic nutrionist on you tube named Leann Vogel. She advocates keto, but had tons of hormonal issues herself. She has specific suggestions for balancing hormones. She eats keto, but uses carb ups in a very specific way. I like listening to her. I can't say I follow everything she does, but she is informative. She eats dairy free too. Her website is called Healthful Pursuits. I had a hysterectomy at 34, so balancing my hormones is done in the MOST unnatural way, but it sounds like something that may help you.

I just checked out her website, there are some awesome recipes! Thank you so much!
  • Kimo159
    swezeytba wrote: »

Coconut creme is good as well.....A little creamier than just the oil.....

Oh, that would be good in there. I love coconut everything, I think I'll pick up some of that at the store next time I go and give it a whirl.
  • Kimo159
    Thank you everyone for your ideas and help. I'm feeling a little more hopeful for my food future. My pity party is officially over! :smile: I'm so thankful for this group, you guys are the best!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member

I put hot coffee in the blender with a tablespoon of LuAna Coconut oil. I have never really warmed up to butter in coffee, although I have tried. I think the coffee w/ coconut oil is good this way.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    We like our BPC blended but we also like to just put the coffee, coconut cream, and MCT oil into the cup, stir it and drink. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

Fab group here. As you said, hormonal BCP is one of the worst things for PCOS, and only recommended by docs who haven't been trained in better ways. Many of us crossover here ( @stacicali and @Dragonwolf to mention just a couple).... But that group is PCOS specific if you want more resources in that arena.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member

Blend coconut oil into your coffee, it is creamy and delicious, no dairy at all.
  • Kimo159
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

Fab group here. As you said, hormonal BCP is one of the worst things for PCOS, and only recommended by docs who haven't been trained in better ways. Many of us crossover here ( @stacicali and @Dragonwolf to mention just a couple).... But that group is PCOS specific if you want more resources in that arena.

I just joined, thanks for the link! I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I know that hormonal BCP is bad for PCOS, but it did help me with a LOT of the symptoms that I'm now having to deal with. I'm trying to deal with it in other ways and using that as a last resort.
  • kaye300
    kaye300 Posts: 29 Member
    Ancient nutrition make a bone broth powder that is 20g protein...vanilla flavor.
  • Kimo159
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I should have some carbs apparently, so low carb for sure, probably not keto.

I disagree with this as a blanket statement. I have PCOS, and the best way for me to balance my hormones is not only keto, but outright carnivore. I've found this after years of experimenting and fighting with doctors to get some kind of treatment.

Don't increase your carbs just because (or because "you should"), let your symptoms and hormones guide you, and remember that weight change (or lack thereof) is a symptom unto itself.
    I've been working so hard to be healthy and lose weight and I'm spinning my wheels. I go to the gym and lift weights but my strength isn't improving, nor is my weight going down.

Been there. There's no shame in just breaking down sometimes. It's hard, it's frustrating, and there are times you're going to want to just yell and break things because of it. That's okay. If you have something that you can hit or break, do it. Sometimes, the best thing to do is just burn out that frustration, then you can move on and work toward solutions.

That said, keep on keeping on. I don't know what you mean, specifically, when you say "lift weights," but a heavy lifting program is one of the best things for hormonal balance, so if you aren't already, grab a barbell and start doing some squats and deadlifts. Don't be afraid to ask the other people in the gym for some help. Most lifters, despite often looking tough and scary, are usually really nice people who would be more than happy to help out.
    I think in the next few months I need to go back on hormonal BC to try to help correct the hormones, but that doesn't really actually fix the underlying problem, just pumps some synthetic hormones in there so my body thinks it's more balanced.

If your estrogen is high and your progesterone is low, there are probably better routes to take than BC for balancing your hormones. Talk to your doctor about getting your thyroid tested (T3 and T4, too, not just TSH), and getting progesterone cream, if/when it comes to that.
    On the plus side, my iron, which was crazy low before is only slightly low now but not too bad so I just need to supplement and I'll be fine there

I know for me, the best thing to do for my iron was cut out all/gluten containing grains. I kid you not, I can go from dead center "optimal" to severely anemic and back in a matter of weeks, just by introducing or eliminating wheat/grains.

If oats have been your primary potential source for gluten, it might be worth either ensuring you get gluten free oats, or switching to a different grain (or dropping them, altogether) and seeing if that has any effect on your iron levels.
    I can't even BPC because, butter!

I'd double check the "no dairy" thing and verify that butter (or ghee) is still out of the question, as most of the problematic things seem to be associated with everything but the fat. I know, personally, as long as I keep my carbs low, butter has no discernible impact on my hormones.

Additionally, the original Bulletproof Coffee recipe uses ghee, not butter, so even if regular butter is out, ghee shouldn't be, and you can still have your BPC.

That said, have a look at the Rocket Fuel Latte recipe over at Healthful Pursuit, for a tasty, totally dairy-free alternative. (Personally, I like the Rocket Fuel Latte better than BPC.)
    meats with hormones (that'll be trickier but I do hunt so I have some wild game to use)

Have a look at farmer's markets in your area and/or check out eatwild for farms near you. There, you can talk to the farmers, directly, and get better food all around, probably for a much better price than you can get anywhere else.
    Can't have protein powder (unless I go vegan but the ones I've tried have been so disgusting I can't get them down).

Check out Garden Of Life's supplements. I've had their meal replacement and "Fit" meal replacement shakes, and they're quite good. It's more of a suspension, as it doesn't dissolve into your carrier liquid like whey does, but it's not bad.

Sorry I've been long-winded. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for all this info! Definitely no need to apologize whatsoever for being long winded! I was hoping that posting this would generate a few responses from people who have had experience dealing with this stuff. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but it's also nice to know I'm not alone as well. It's been so frustrating and it's hard to talk to people about it because they don't really know what to say...not that I blame them at all.

I just went online and bought the ingredients for the rocket fuel latte that I didn't have...living in a small town can make finding these things difficult. I'm going to keep on keto for now...I know from my past experience though I have a tendency to fall into bad depression after being keto for a while. I'm hoping that having preworkout carbs will help fire the neurotransmitters required for serotonin production and prevent that from happening. I have been using GF oats for a while now, they seem to work well for me. I just bought a rice protein so I'll add that in and see how it works out. I do lift heavy; squats, deads, hip thrusts, bench, OHP. I love it! I've heard it's great for hormones...it definitely gets frustrating though to put the effort in with little reward. I've been at this for 2.5 years and the weights I use are pretty low for my experience level...some days I feel like I should start boxing just to beat the crap out of a bag and get my frustration with all of this out from time to time.

I've done thyroid testing, T3/T4/reverse T3, again, it shows my thyroid is slightly underactive but still within normal range so there's not a lot they want to do with it.

I'm going to go on the Dr's suggestion to keep dairy free, at least for the next 2 months. It's worth a shot, if I don't feel a difference then I'll add dairy back in.

As for the BCP, I really don't want to go back on hormonal BC. I'm planning on using that as a last ditch effort to feel normal again. I was on BCP from 14-27 and never had any issues, my only issue was weight loss resistance. So, I do know that a lot of my symptoms can be dealt with using it...but I really want to avoid it if I can.

Oh, and I did find a farm about 1.5 hrs from here that has hormone free, grass fed, free range pork, beef, chicken, turkey, and lamb. You're right too, it looks like I could get the meat there cheaper than at the grocery store anyway. I'm going to contact them today and see when they have any meat available. I'm extremely excited for that part. Plus, I have a deep freeze just itching to be filled! I love my wild game but if I start eating it everyday I'll run out VERY quickly.

Again, thank you so much for your post!
  • Kimo159
    kaye300 wrote: »
    Ancient nutrition make a bone broth powder that is 20g protein...vanilla flavor.

bone broth powder...that sounds interesting. Does it taste alright?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited February 2017
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I've done thyroid testing, T3/T4/reverse T3, again, it shows my thyroid is slightly underactive but still within normal range so there's not a lot they want to do with it.

There is a HUGE difference between "normal" and "optimal" ranges for thyroid function. My endocrinologist told me that at 30-50+ years old, my TSH should be under 2, and most feel best between 1.0-1.5. 0.5-1.5 is considered optimal. My last TSH had gone up from 2.04 uIU/mL - where I'd started to feel somewhat normal, to 2.87 uIU/mL - which was definitely well above where he wants it to be.

My last Free T4 was 1.0 ng/DL. Optimal range is supposed to be 75%-100% of the allowable range, which my lab report says is: 0.8-1.8 ng/dL.

My last Free T3 was 2.9 pg/mL. Again, my understanding, and I can look this up, but optimal is supposed to be around 75% of acceptable range: 2.3-4.2 pg/mL.

My endo, with these numbers, increased both my T4 AND T3 medications. Just to share some perspective. @Kimo159

And as a weird side note, I was listening to a podcast the other day that talked about NOT being a fan of bone broth due to the higher levels of sulfur. He was a fan of organ meats, though. I don't remember the whole podcast, but it was Chris Masterjohn, PhD.