Schwaggggggg

Options

Replies

• niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Enjoying having the power meter fitted - I've got the Garmin displaying power which is quite useful for managing effort on climbs. I've not had a chance to do a proper FTP test but I have done a couple of 1 hour rides, pushing quite hard, and that's giving averages in around the 220-230W range (weighted average 235-240W) so it looks like I'm in the 2.5W/kg range. Suspect it's going to be easier to improve that by losing weight than it is by increasing my power output!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Added some Five Ten Freerider shoes and Bontrager Line Pro pedals. Sweet.

ka611fuzgykz.jpg
    cznyab0szl5z.jpg

Just looking at those pedals makes my shins hurt.

• niblue
    Options
    I'm about 20 years too old for those shoes and those pedals!
  • niblue
    Options
    Picked up a turbo trainer today - one of the Tacx Flow smart trainers that Halfords are knocking out for £189.99 at the moment. Did the short FTP test on Zwift using it - definitely need to put a fan into the room I'm using!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    Picked up a turbo trainer today - one of the Tacx Flow smart trainers that Halfords are knocking out for £189.99 at the moment. Did the short FTP test on Zwift using it - definitely need to put a fan into the room I'm using!

I would love to have a smart trainer. Keep hoping I will find a good deal on one here in Canada but they don't seem to go on sale, at least not that I have found so far.
  • mkenny5
    mkenny5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Enjoying having the power meter fitted - I've got the Garmin displaying power which is quite useful for managing effort on climbs. I've not had a chance to do a proper FTP test but I have done a couple of 1 hour rides, pushing quite hard, and that's giving averages in around the 220-230W range (weighted average 235-240W) so it looks like I'm in the 2.5W/kg range. Suspect it's going to be easier to improve that by losing weight than it is by increasing my power output!

I've got the very same one on route to me now. Really looking forward to having that extra data available during and after for analysis.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Decided to give a power meter a try so a 4iiii Precision arrived today and is now fitted to my Roubaix. Hopefully give it a go tomorrow.

I've been very happy with my 4iiii meter - decided to get one for the 'cross bike, as swapping the Stages meter from one bike to another was getting to be a PITA, and, once you get used to having proper power data, you really want it from all the bikes you ride regularly (or at least, all the ones you ride "in anger" - i.e. train on) - there's no way i'd bother with one on the MTB for example, but for the cross and roadbikes, it's pretty much a "gotta have" now!
  • niblue
    Options
    I've ordered a couple of books on training with power however so far I have found having the power data available for pacing on the climbs and even on flat sections. On the 2nd ride I did with it I set PR's on 19 of the 23 Strava segments I went through.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    classic books on power meter training are

"the power meter handbook" - Joe Friel - ISBN 978-1-934030-95-0

and

"Training and Racing with a Power Meter (2nd Edition) - Hunter Allen, Andrew Coggan. - ISBN 978-1-934030-55-4

the Second one is pretty much "the bible" for powermeter use... but it's not a particularly "easy read" IMO - didn't worry me too much as I'm the kind of weirdo that reads scientific papers and technical manuals for fun, but if you're expecting something lighter, then the first is a bit more something you can dip in and out of... Still pretty techie though.

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    I'm the kind of weirdo that reads scientific papers and technical manuals for fun

:#
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    I'm the kind of weirdo that reads scientific papers and technical manuals for fun

:#

hey, you probably remember the post I wrote in here where I spent hours disecting how Strava calculated calories, and how it differed to how Garmin Connect did it... anyone who read that, has to know my geek credentials :lol:
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    This thing was hiding under a table at the back of the store during a "warehouse clearance rummage sale" at Performance Bike. I picked it up brand new, still in the box, for almost 60% off. Put in 90 minutes on tonight. It's a REALLY nice trainer!
    fp5pum74odoa.jpg

That's the one I really wanted, rather than a "refresh" on the Bushido Line that i've settled for this winter - sadly, finances weren't up to the £1000 or so that they're priced at over here at the moment - plus, I was hearing some bad stories about early adopters and needing to ship the units back for repairs, so using the european box-shifting companies which got the price down wasn't really an option - hopefully, I'll have a better year, work wise, and be able to shift the Bushido Smart next autumn and trade up...

Exactly the same here, wanted one of those, but have settled for the bushido smart, which is absolutely incredible!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Most of this bike has been posted here previously as it was acquired so seems only fair to share the finished product (even though many of you may have already seen on the Cycleagues Facebook group or elsewhere):

jqrsdv7tgmm7.jpg
    wk8f2thznptw.jpg

Final assembly was finished a couple of days ago and I picked it up yesterday. The specs for the gear nerds:
    • Frame: 2016 Yeti ARC-C
    • Fork: Rockshox SID XX
    • Crank: Shimano XT 1x, 32t, 175mm
    • Chain: Shimano XT
    • Cassette: Shimano XT 11sp, 11-42
    • Brakes: Shimano XT M8000 Trail
    • Rotors: Shimano Ice-Tech, 180mm Front, 160mm Rear
    • Wheels: Stan's No Tubes Arch EX
    • Tires: Hutchinson Toro
    • Bars: Thomson Trail Alloy Riser
    • Stem: Thomson X4 0-degree, 80mm
    • Grips: Yeti
    • Seatpost: Thomson Elite 30.8mm
    • Seat: Fizik Gobi
    • Pedals: Time XC4
  • RhysT28
    RhysT28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Most recent purchase was a pair of DMR V12 pedals for my Orange Five Pro which I bought new in August last year, I sold my Stumpjumper and the pedals went with it!

Also bought a Hop seatclap with a cable guide for my Rockshox Reverb and Hope grips, may change the saddel soon too and possibly the brakes as Im not really a fan of SRAM, thyere a bit spongy compared to Shimano!70cueat2qoz9.jpg
  • RhysT28
    RhysT28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Picture was on the day of purchase without the mods..
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    RhysT28 wrote: »
    Most recent purchase was a pair of DMR V12 pedals for my Orange Five Pro which I bought new in August last year, I sold my Stumpjumper and the pedals went with it!

Also bought a Hop seatclap with a cable guide for my Rockshox Reverb and Hope grips, may change the saddel soon too and possibly the brakes as Im not really a fan of SRAM, thyere a bit spongy compared to Shimano!70cueat2qoz9.jpg

Halifax's finest - just up the road from me (well - on a global scale at least, call it 20 miles away...)
  • mkenny5
    mkenny5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    classic books on power meter training are

"the power meter handbook" - Joe Friel - ISBN 978-1-934030-95-0

and

"Training and Racing with a Power Meter (2nd Edition) - Hunter Allen, Andrew Coggan. - ISBN 978-1-934030-55-4

the Second one is pretty much "the bible" for powermeter use... but it's not a particularly "easy read" IMO - didn't worry me too much as I'm the kind of weirdo that reads scientific papers and technical manuals for fun, but if you're expecting something lighter, then the first is a bit more something you can dip in and out of... Still pretty techie though.

I'm about halfway through the 2nd book, it's been very informative. I just have to set a date to get my FTP test done but first up is a Retul bike fit next week. Once that's complete I'll set the FTP test and then start one of the Strava training plans.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Couple of things...
    nvgdpxq0bymi.png

nuwjvowmh5jz.png

Sweet, but I gotta ask: what's up with the canti CX frames? Disk is where it's at, baby!
  • superjohn71
    superjohn71 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A raceface stem for my hardtail; a superstar stem for my winter bike, and lots of expensive blingy bits for the bike I'm building, which is nearly ready to be built, just need the crank re-anodized to a different colour. :)