I'm still not comfortable asking for..

Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I tell them I'm diabetic and act like they naturally will know that means I can't eat carbs (like saying I'm allergic to peanuts...). Usually, they nod like they get it.

(If the bread comes anyhow, I take it with me and drop it the nearest place that has birds or squirrels nearby. :p)

Awwww that's adorable!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It does seem hard at first, but I do hate wasting a bun or fries or whatever knowing for certain that I am not going to eat them. What a waste of money, time, and food. Restaurants need to get it together....This is the wave of the future! :)
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

When I was at 5 guys last weekend I asked for the bunless burger and the cashier asked if it due to allergies - I was confused because normally they don't ask that and she said "are you doing low carb or do you have an allergy to wheat". Then I got it!!

I've been doing lettuce wraps from 5 Guys a lot lately. I was also a little surprised when they asked if it was an allergy or not. Eventually I asked why they ask. They said it was because they change their gloves for allergies to eliminate gross contamination. I didn't even know touching a bun was enough to give someone an allergic reaction! Which makes me curious why other places don't ask too.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I tell them I'm diabetic and act like they naturally will know that means I can't eat carbs (like saying I'm allergic to peanuts...). Usually, they nod like they get it.

(If the bread comes anyhow, I take it with me and drop it the nearest place that has birds or squirrels nearby. :p)

Awwww that's adorable!

They certainly seem appreciative!

If my cats would eat burger buns, they could help themselves, but they're off carbs since they switched to kitty keto kans & kibbles.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

When I was at 5 guys last weekend I asked for the bunless burger and the cashier asked if it due to allergies - I was confused because normally they don't ask that and she said "are you doing low carb or do you have an allergy to wheat". Then I got it!!

I've been doing lettuce wraps from 5 Guys a lot lately. I was also a little surprised when they asked if it was an allergy or not. Eventually I asked why they ask. They said it was because they change their gloves for allergies to eliminate gross contamination. I didn't even know touching a bun was enough to give someone an allergic reaction! Which makes me curious why other places don't ask too.

Oh yes, I had that question at 5 Guys as well. It was only the one time I ate there, but thanks for the reminder. Good point on why others don't ask. I guess they don't care as much or maybe just are not aware.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Awwww that's adorable!

If my cats would eat burger buns, they could help themselves, but they're off carbs since they switched to kitty keto kans & kibbles.

My kitties also eat low carb. One of them is diabetic and has been off insulin for almost a year now, all thanks to eating low carb. The food they get has about 4% carbs last I checked.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Awwww that's adorable!

My kitties also eat low carb. One of them is diabetic and has been off insulin for almost a year now, all thanks to eating low carb. The food they get has about 4% carbs last I checked.

Aha! Which food is that?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited February 2017
    Options

Awwww that's adorable!

Aha! Which food is that?

Fancy Feast Classic Turkey and Giblets - I buy several cases at a time because I have 2 large kitties that eat a lot.

ETA: I just checked again and found this: http://mybeaconvet.com/clients/10103/documents/FANCY_FEAST_VARIETIES.pdf

It says 5.45%! So perhaps I should switch to Chicken. Fish doesn't agree with them, otherwise I would consider those varieties.

ETA again: The Classic Turkey and Giblets has 1.5% fiber according to Fancy Feast website (which doesn't list total carbs for some reason)... So wherever I found 4% in the past (I think a feline diabetes site) must have counted net carbs at 4%, fiber at 1.5%, and protein / fat for the rest.
  • scgfitlife
    scgfitlife Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, you wonderful people! I'm glad a lot of you haven't experienced it and what a good idea to practice at burger joints.
  • scgfitlife
    scgfitlife Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Awwww that's adorable!

Aha! Which food is that?

Fancy Feast Classic Turkey and Giblets - I buy several cases at a time because I have 2 large kitties that eat a lot.

ETA: I just checked again and found this: http://mybeaconvet.com/clients/10103/documents/FANCY_FEAST_VARIETIES.pdf

It says 5.45%! So perhaps I should switch to Chicken. Fish doesn't agree with them, otherwise I would consider those varieties.

ETA again: The Classic Turkey and Giblets has 1.5% fiber according to Fancy Feast website (which doesn't list total carbs for some reason)... So wherever I found 4% in the past (I think a feline diabetes site) must have counted net carbs at 4%, fiber at 1.5%, and protein / fat for the rest.

My kitties are gonna love this! Thanks :smile:
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've never had bad experiences ordering no bun. I usually preface it with "So this is going to sound weird but can I get the burger with no bun" usually the person taking my order will say "no problem" or "thats not weird at all!"
  • geekgirl127
    geekgirl127 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What do those truly gluten intolerant people do? Im sure they order bunless burgers!! I'm surprised anyone bats an eye given how customizing orders has become a norm for any and every reason. I admit I'm shy about it and have yet to order a bunless burger at a place that doesn't already offer it in a lettuce wrap. But you're not being wasteful...ordering the bun and then tossing it would be. I say just keep doing it. You don't owe anyone an explanation but if you feel better giving one, just say bread upsets your digestion or causes you some kind of problem. For most of us here that is true!

Exactly sadly this is a common attitude at resteraunts when you are gluten free *sigh* I'm low carbing to lose weight but I have Celiac disease and it drives me crazy the reaction I get... it goes one of two ways if I'm ordering while not plan I'm told how I'm not low carbing properly if ordering on plan they assume I'm low carb only and I've had to repeatedely stress despite my order being low carb i still have Celiac disease and still need the precautions the resteraunt takes for celiacs (this is at places that are known in the celiac to be safe to eat such as red robin )
  • RalfLott
    Options
    scgfitlife wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, you wonderful people! I'm glad a lot of you haven't experienced it and what a good idea to practice at burger joints.

The best practice is to avoid the *kitten* places altogether. It's not like they use such high-grade meat products that you're not getting antibiotics, pesticides, etc., in with all the wonderful "natural" flavors they add for your enjoyment.

But maybe I'm just cynical, having worked at Taco Bell for my first job (and smelling like tacos for the next 2 days...).
  • geekgirl127
    geekgirl127 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Yeah sadly I'm one of those people.... just crumb of gluten really effects and does havic on a person's body... its not an allergy its an autoimmune disease. The first time I did atkins we had a local board on a support group I was super strict and they all gave me grief thinking I exaggerated at the effects of crouton crumbs left in my salad, but I'd gain 3 lbs and bloat horribly the next day I later on learned it was gluten and celiac not just a reaction to carbs. Doing atkins at that time in my life was the first time I ever felt normal because I became gluten free by default... it all went to hell when I got pregnant and added whole wheat to stay out of ketosis. But the longer a celiac is gluten free the more they react to the trace glutens. I had no idea, but when I didn't focus on cross contanimation I continued to test positive for celiac (a truly gluten free person tests negative) as soon as I started focusing on it I tested inconclusive and then finally negative
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    scgfitlife wrote: »

Awwww that's adorable!

Aha! Which food is that?

My kitties are gonna love this! Thanks :smile:

I'll warn you - it gets expensive (they are worth it, and insulin is much more expensive). I have big cats, so they each eat 3 cans per day (6 total for 2 cats) and they are not very active... otherwise they would need even more food. That's why I buy several cases at a time... 1 case lasts only 4 days at that rate, so it ends up being more than $25 per week. If that doesn't bother you, though, wet food is much better for cats than dry food; and cats are obligate carnivores, so giving them meat without grain / potato / carrot fillers just makes so much sense.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have a girlfriend who has been ridiculously picky her whole life. It's insane really, lol It's worse than even the pickiest toddler child you can imagine. every order with her takes at least 5 minutes and a crap ton of notes by the server.

When it's time to order she just looks directly at the server and says "I'm going to give you the craziest order, but it's what I want and just tell me if you can't do it". When she's done, most times people laugh and say they've had crazier orders. Only once (when I've been with her) has anyone said, yeah....that is crazy. And even then they said ok they could do it and weren't rude.

There are all kinds of reasons for placing complicated, intricate, detailed, or not standard orders. Don't ever feel like you're the only one doing it!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Just perhaps another joy of being over 60, I think. I don't eat out often but if I ever ask, "May I have that burger without a bun?", the reply I always get is "Yes, Ma'am. Of course. :)
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @kpk54, That's my experience, too. We're finally getting the respect we, er, deserve....

But there have to be effective ways for younger folks to make the point.

For example:
    "No bun, please. But if you insist on bringing the bun, please also bring ........"

1. A motion discomfort bag
    2. A mop.
    3. A bucket.
    4. A box of Depends.
    5. ..... ?
  • hazel1505
    hazel1505 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a granddaughter that is Celiac. hubby and I went to Bobs burger and beer. and they had a gluten free bun for $1.00 extra. g/d had NEVER had a bun. the waiter says most people just eat it without a bun. I told him she had never had a hamnurger with a bun. she was 6 or 7 at the time. short story the bun didn't taste good. so she ate it without. but she got to have a couple bites of a real hambuger she said.