Sugar addicted?

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
http://sweetfreedomsummit.com/?idev_id=22&idev_username=hto

I keep seeing posts about people struggling to avoid sugar so I thought I would post a link to this summit that is aimed at breaking sugar addiction. Having seen what I have seen over the years, I do believe sugar addiction is a real thing and for those it affects, it can be quite damaging.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Looks interesting. A bunch of people I'm not familiar with. Might be some new info or ideas and strategies here.
    :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Looks fabulous - and interesting. Shared it out on my wall!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    http://sweetfreedomsummit.com/?idev_id=22&idev_username=hto

I keep seeing posts about people struggling to avoid sugar so I thought I would post a link to this summit that is aimed at breaking sugar addiction. Having seen what I have seen over the years, I do believe sugar addiction is a real thing and for those it affects, it can be quite damaging.

Man, thank you. It's a real thing, swear.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't recognize any of the presenters either
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is interesting...part of my job is to educate patients on their prescribed diet. Limited concentrated sweets has to be the hardest thing to gain compliance with.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    This is interesting...part of my job is to educate patients on their prescribed diet. Limited concentrated sweets has to be the hardest thing to gain compliance with.

Do you have any go-to methods for trying to get various types of patients on board?
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's real. At least for me, it is real. I have intense sugar cravings, unless I am eating very low carb. For me, I also believe hormones play a huge role in my sugar addiction.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    It is definitely real! It's the only thing I am addicted too! I did a modified whole30 with the main emphasis being to have no sugar or artificial sugar for 30 days. I just finished but still feel nervous about sugar so I'll have to be careful I don't fall into it's grip!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sugar... not good with it. Thanks for posting this.
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sugar addiction is real for me and it's definitely my drug of choice! I've never done drugs and rarely drink alcohol, but sugar sends me into a downward spiral that I can only assume is comparable to what drug or alcohol addicts go through. I had not had any significant sugar last year from January 10 until the middle of October. I gave in and allowed myself a sugary treat and proceeded to go on a 2 1/2 month binge and gained 30 lbs! The worst part was when I tried several times to get back on track I had significant physical withdrawal symptoms. I was shocked! My symptoms were similar to what I've seen described by heroin addicts! I had a headache, body aches, sweating, nausea and trembling. It was awful! It was so awful that I swore I would NEVER go through it again. I clearly can't control my sugar addiction any more than a drug addict can control their addiction. What I can do is make sure I never make the choice to start again. I'm back on track and have been sugar free since the beginning of January. I haven't gotten all of the 30 lbs back off, but am well on my way. The most important thing isn't the weight loss, it's being in control of my eating habits. Thanks for sharing the link. It looks interesting!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The most important thing isn't the weight loss, it's being in control of my eating habits.

<3
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Trust me, sugar withdrawal is nothing, and I repeat NOTHING like heroin withdrawal. It's not even close. Just stop.

It's more like crack withdrawal, which is more psychological and sneaky.

Good to know. I wasn't aware that headaches, body aches, sweating and trembling were just sneaky psychological symptoms. Thanks for validating my personal experience.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Trust me, sugar withdrawal is nothing, and I repeat NOTHING like heroin withdrawal. It's not even close. Just stop.

Good to know. I wasn't aware that headaches, body aches, sweating and trembling were just sneaky psychological symptoms. Thanks for validating my personal experience.

You're welcome. It's nothing like heroin withdrawal. Thanks for minimizing my experience, and thousands of others.

I don't think anyone intended to minimize your experience. There are many types of addiction. Most have similar characteristics, but for some crazy reason we are not all prone to all of them. I am fortunate that I do not seem to possess the gene(s) or whatever it is to make me prone to much in the way of addiction. Given the things I tried, much of it in great excess, during my youth and what I saw happen to many of my friends, I truly do know how blessed I am in this regard. Well over half of my friends from those years did not survive to see 30 yo.

My comments were intended to show there are addictive properties to sugar, at least for some. As such, telling someone with this addiction to just cut back will never work. It goes much deeper than just a matter of simple will power.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

You're welcome. It's nothing like heroin withdrawal. Thanks for minimizing my experience, and thousands of others.

I don't think anyone intended to minimize your experience. There are many types of addiction. Most have similar characteristics, but for some crazy reason we are not all prone to all of them. I am fortunate that I do not seem to possess the gene(s) or whatever it is to make me prone to much in the way of addiction. Given the things I tried, much of it in great excess, during my youth and what I saw happen to many of my friends, I truly do know how blessed I am in this regard. Well over half of my friends from those years did not survive to see 30 yo.

My comments were intended to show there are addictive properties to sugar, at least for some. As such, telling someone with this addiction to just cut back will never work. It goes much deeper than just a matter of simple will power.

I agree. Cutting back doesn't work. At least for me.

It's not a biggie, it just bothers me a bit when people who haven't been through heroin withdrawal compare it to food withdrawal. It's taking away from survivors and it's *kitten*. It's not even relative, c.

Thank you for caring enough to soothe my ruffled feathers. :)