Cholesterol Gurus Needed! (Long post-sorry!)

eneild
eneild Posts: 198 Member
Just had my biometric screening done this week in order to have money added to our new HSA. First, a bit of my background. Have been Keto (10g carbs or less/day) for 2 years now. I (50 y/o small framed 5'4" F) was 230+ pounds when I started. By last March I had lost 110 pounds and reached my first goal. I have been working over this past year to-very slowly!-loose 15 more pounds. As of this morning, I am 0.8 pounds away from my 105 pound goal weight. I don't have any known medical conditions. As far as exercise, I walk or slow run at least 12,000 steps or 5 miles/day. I last had blood work done 5 years ago which I never followed up on as I was so embarrassed with my weight.

2012 results. 2017 results
Total cholesterol. 228. 293
HDL. 41. 73
LDL. 161. 207
Triglycerides. 139. 66
Chol/HDL ratio. 5.6. 4.0
Trig/HDL ratio 3.4. 0.9
FBS. 86. 87
HbA1C. 5.3%

I am really pleased with my HDL, Trigs, and ratio improvements. But, due to my LDL, I "failed" this part of the screening and in order to earn back the HSA deposit I either need to have a discussion with a counselor about my diet or participate in a 9 weekly online "weight loss program" (haven't had time to investigate these 2 options fully yet).

Based on my readings, I would expect a LDL particle test to show more of the fluffier particles. I am looking into having this test done through healthcheckusa.com along with the hsCRP in order to hopefully bolster my argument if I go the counselor option. Any other advice/recommendations?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    It sounds like you fully understand the actual important cholesterol factors. The real job now is advocating for yourself. That's where the real work is.
    I don't know what to say really. You seem knowledgeable on the subject... somehow you need to appease them while doing what you feel is right at the same time. It's a pickle!
    Mmmmm pickles!
  • eneild
    It sounds like you fully understand the actual important cholesterol factors. The real job now is advocating for yourself. That's where the real work is.
    I don't know what to say really. You seem knowledgeable on the subject... somehow you need to appease them while doing what you feel is right at the same time. It's a pickle!
    Mmmmm pickles!

Thanks @Sunny_Bunny_ ! Love me some pickles as well!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Oy!

You could see about Apo-A1 and ApoB tests, which approximate LDL subparticles (and are usually covered by insurance).

And perhaps a coronary artery calcium (CAC) scan, a CT imaging study you can often get at a hospital off the street for $100 (before your consult).
  • eneild
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Oy!

You could see about Apo-A1 and ApoB tests, which approximate LDL subparticles (and are usually covered by insurance).

And perhaps a coronary artery calcium (CAC) scan, a CT imaging study you can often get at a hospital off the street for $100 (before your consult).

Thank you @RalfLott I'll investigate these as well. I think this will be a weekend of getting into the weeds!

• RalfLott
    eneild wrote: »
    Oy!

Thank you @RalfLott I'll investigate these as well. I think this will be a weekend of getting into the weeds!

When life is messy, wear boots!

Good luck.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I'm not a cholesterol guru just chiming in to wonder out loud. I'll be real curious as to what is in this "9 week weight loss program" for a slim 5'4" female of 110 pounds. I suppose it will be geared more towards what to eat versus how much? Encouraging whole grains and low fat options? Dear me.

Shaking my head. I too will be getting a lipid panel this year after a year on keto so I follow these threads with interest. Me: 5'6", F, 140-145, 63 yo, gets some intentional exercise regularly cuz otherwise I'm on my butt all day. <--posts only to say we're in a similar situation.

Congratulaions on your weightloss and thank you for posting for discussion.
  • eneild
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm not a cholesterol guru just chiming in to wonder out loud. I'll be real curious as to what is in this "9 week weight loss program" for a slim 5'4" female of 110 pounds. I suppose it will be geared more towards what to eat versus how much? Encouraging whole grains and low fat options? Dear me.

Shaking my head. I too will be getting a lipid panel this year after a year on keto so I follow these threads with interest. Me: 5'6", F, 140-145, 63 yo, gets some intentional exercise regularly cuz otherwise I'm on my butt all day. <--posts only to say we're in a similar situation.

Congratulaions on your weightloss and thank you for posting for discussion.

@kpk54 yes, I am curious about the 9 week program as well. I plan to dig into it this weekend and I'll report back with what I find.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Following.

At 52, I have a similar cholesterol profile to yours--HDL is great, trigs are great, all the ratios are great--but everything except triglycerides has risen quite a bit since I hit menopause a few years ago. In my 30s and 40s, my TC stayed between 180 and 200; now it's more like 300.
  • RalfLott
    If you're worried about high TC, standing alone, here's some food for thought.

https://youtu.be/wHFbMUU0Oag
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    No cholesterol help but congrats on the awesome loss. It was good to see. I too am 5 4
  • eneild
    edited March 2017

Thanks for this @RalfLott! Lots of good information and many notes taken. I have to say, Mike has fabulous posture (and hair!)!!

• eneild
    tekwriter wrote: »
    No cholesterol help but congrats on the awesome loss. It was good to see. I too am 5 4

I appreciate your kind words @tekwriter. It sure has been quite a journey!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    The calcium score @RalfLott mentioned is the biggest thing IMO. Everything else is just a marker for potential disease. The calcium score shows actual. If actual = 0, then why give a rip about a marker showing potential?

Other than that, an NMR which does measure partial size along with hsCRP which are much more accurate markers would be second best option.
  • RalfLott

Thanks for this @RalfLott! Lots of good information and many notes taken. I have to say, Mike has fabulous posture (and hair!)!!

Yes, he does. He has an especially good selection of topics and guests. For example, the segments on the perils of mouth breathing were jaw dropping.
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    cstehansen wrote: »
    The calcium score @RalfLott mentioned is the biggest thing IMO. Everything else is just a marker for potential disease. The calcium score shows actual. If actual = 0, then why give a rip about a marker showing potential?

Other than that, an NMR which does measure partial size along with hsCRP which are much more accurate markers would be second best option.

FYI...

Micheal Eades suggests looking at the volume:density ratio, an increase in volume over time being a bad omen; an increase in (protective) density, a good one.

Calcium Density of Coronary Artery Plaque and Risk of Incident Cardiovascular Events
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24247483

https://youtu.be/itUoG2IfJp8

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Just had my biometric screening done this week in order to have money added to our new HSA. First, a bit of my background. Have been Keto (10g carbs or less/day) for 2 years now. I (50 y/o small framed 5'4" F) was 230+ pounds when I started. By last March I had lost 110 pounds and reached my first goal. I have been working over this past year to-very slowly!-loose 15 more pounds. As of this morning, I am 0.8 pounds away from my 105 pound goal weight. I don't have any known medical conditions. As far as exercise, I walk or slow run at least 12,000 steps or 5 miles/day. I last had blood work done 5 years ago which I never followed up on as I was so embarrassed with my weight.

2012 results. 2017 results
    Total cholesterol. 228. 293
    HDL. 41. 73
    LDL. 161. 207
    Triglycerides. 139. 66
    Chol/HDL ratio. 5.6. 4.0
    Trig/HDL ratio 3.4. 0.9
    FBS. 86. 87
    HbA1C. 5.3%

I am really pleased with my HDL, Trigs, and ratio improvements. But, due to my LDL, I "failed" this part of the screening and in order to earn back the HSA deposit I either need to have a discussion with a counselor about my diet or participate in a 9 weekly online "weight loss program" (haven't had time to investigate these 2 options fully yet).

Based on my readings, I would expect a LDL particle test to show more of the fluffier particles. I am looking into having this test done through healthcheckusa.com along with the hsCRP in order to hopefully bolster my argument if I go the counselor option. Any other advice/recommendations?

Thanks!

Congrats on your weight loss and you do seem to be doing the right things. As the total number and LDLs are the only things that would concern anyone. There is a lot of info about how total numbers can go up after losing a lot of weight which you did. So logically, your number might be higher than desireable.

I think you are on the right path, all the best. Probably a consultation would be the simple solution. You can talk about anything the only thing that matters is what you actually do.
  • cstehansen
    One last thing - I think it was Dr Phinney who said keto athletes will have higher LDL than a keto couch potato (paraphrasing here). The logic being higher energy needs of the athletes and LDL being the pre-cursor to ketones- or something along those lines.

I am very active (3200-3500 kcals a day to maintain 185 lbs) and was thinking about doing an n=1 experiment where I scale back activity level for about 3 months before my next set of labs to see what difference it makes. My ratios are great, but LDLc is high by traditional standards. Fortunately I have found a doc who is LCHF friendly and ran the more extensive tests showing I really am in good shape.
  • eneild
    cstehansen wrote: »
    One last thing - I think it was Dr Phinney who said keto athletes will have higher LDL than a keto couch potato (paraphrasing here). The logic being higher energy needs of the athletes and LDL being the pre-cursor to ketones- or something along those lines.

I am very active (3200-3500 kcals a day to maintain 185 lbs) and was thinking about doing an n=1 experiment where I scale back activity level for about 3 months before my next set of labs to see what difference it makes. My ratios are great, but LDLc is high by traditional standards. Fortunately I have found a doc who is LCHF friendly and ran the more extensive tests showing I really am in good shape.

I had hoped you would chime in @cstehansen. This is why I had posted my daily "exercise." I, by no means, consider myself an athlete, but my daily walking/jogging routine probably has some impact on my numbers. Thanks for another avenue (aka deep rabbit hole) to follow up on.

Also, through my readings today there was something about low TG overestimating LDL-C and using an alternative formula (the "Iranian Equation") in determining LDL-C. So based on this formula (TC/1.19+TG/1.9-HDL-C/1.1-38), my LDL-C is 177 which is not ideal, but at least better.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!
  • cstehansen
    I had forgotten about the Iranian equation.
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Here's an article supporting the use of the ApoB/Apo-A1 ratio in place of the standard lipid panels:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18277343

"CONCLUSION:
    The results indicate that a high ApoB/ApoA1 ratio is associated not only with early atherosclerosis but also with hypoechoic (BPB) and by inference unstable plaques."

@cstehansen @eneild