You are 100% CORRECT!

Options
jodiecrandall
jodiecrandall Posts: 151 Member
I have tried HFLC several times in the past but by day 2 or 3, the carb flu would strike and I would feel AWEFUL and quit!

This time, I read these forums and the launch pad on increasing sodium, potassium and magnesium and I am on Day 6 of low carb and ZERO, NADA, ZIP symptoms of carb flu!!!!

You are 100% CORRECT AND I THANK YOU!!!! I'm also fasting 12-18 hours and I'm down 6.8 pounds. I know the weight loss will slow down but so far I'm feeling FANTASTIC!!!

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR WISE WORDS OF WISDOM!!!!

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sing it sister!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Eat pickles :D they are like magic
  • btroxell08
    btroxell08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what was the best way that you found to increase those things? Did you use a specific supplement? I think that is what I'm struggling with now.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    btroxell08 wrote: »
    Can I ask what was the best way that you found to increase those things? Did you use a specific supplement? I think that is what I'm struggling with now.

If you eat processed meats (i.e. BACON), they tend to have higher sodium. Of course just getting over the fear of salting food is a key hurdle. There is also bone broth and pickle juice.

As for potassium and magnesium, I seem to get enough just from spinach and celery. I really like sauteing spinach in butter, bacon grease, olive oil, coconut oil or some combination of these.

You can use "No Salt" or some other salt alternative for potassium. Personally, I think if you eat real foods, you only really need to worry about the sodium part and the others will be fine.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste, you can add a bit of organic, gluten-free tamari (no wheat) for a good sodium spike.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    btroxell08 wrote: »

My choice is to drink a cup of salty boullion. I usually add a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of extra salt.

Magnesium for me is just 100mg before bed. Choose a magnesium that ends in "ate" such as glycinate or citrate. The most commonly found magnesium tablet, magnesium oxide, is not your best choice since it reportedly does not metabolize well.

I've not perceived a need for me to supplement with potassium. I seem to get enough in my food choices. You can google "foods high in potassium" to find a list.
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This forum really helped me too - I'd had a similar experience to yours and suffered the electrolyte deficiency problems in the first 2 weeks which were solved by coming here and asking questions. I use K-salt and sea salt in combination for sodium and potassium, and take a magnesium supplement every morning. The magnesium is probably overkill tbh, but it all seems to be working so I don't want to start tinkering now!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This forum really helped me too - I'd had a similar experience to yours and suffered the electrolyte deficiency problems in the first 2 weeks which were solved by coming here and asking questions. I use K-salt and sea salt in combination for sodium and potassium, and take a magnesium supplement every morning. The magnesium is probably overkill tbh, but it all seems to be working so I don't want to start tinkering now!

@StarshipFighter23 - Most times Magnesium is what's needed and the potassium is generally overkill, if anything is. Why would you think the opposite?

Nearly 95% of first world countries are massively depleted in magnesium, which is needed in over 300 enzymatic processes in the body. If you consume chicken or most other meat types, you're likely getting enough potassium in your dietary intake, since it isn't reflected accurately on most labels, as most government entities don't required it to be tracked (nor magnesium), so your actual intake could be much higher than expected.

Just something to keep an eye on should you have any signs of potassium overload.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Order of priority goes

Sodium > magnesium > potassium.
    Using anything more than a few dashes of lite salt a day for potassium can be potentially dangerous. Potassium is one you don't want to supplement much if at all.
    If you over do it on salt or magnesium you'll just get diarrhea. If you overdo it on potassium, well... that is truly dangerous. Look up potassium overdose or too much potassium if you're curious.